Page 6 of 6<<23456

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 4th Annual Ft. McCoy 16-18 August 2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 51
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013,07:29  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I felt like I walked almost as far as I had at the first McCoy event.  :p   :D
Thanks Mike and Steve for putting together another successful McCoy event.
The weather was Ideal and the bugs were minimal.
The two scenarios we played on Saturday were hard fought and I felt both sides made a good showing.
It was fun playing on a new part of the field and in all the varied types of terrain.

I laid down on an ant hill, Duncan found a cactus, Jordan spooked a turkey.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 52
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013,11:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 4th annual Ft. McCoy event is in the books...Thanks to Mike and Steve for hosting another great event on a wonderful piece of property!

Pros: I think everyone played as hard as they could and we had no real issues; Sportsmanship was top-notch! The weather was a little hot but not unbearable, and the lack of bugs made things so much more comfortable. Having an early scenario on Sunday really rounds out the weekend, it was a blast fighting in and around the rolling hills ( Beautiful terrain).

Cons: The long walks back to the vehicles on Saturday, even though towards the end we did move them up which helped with the fatigue. Lack of rules and guidelines being addressed in the beginning, but by now we should all be familiar with our rules ( At least the veterans). Better implementation of the Panzershreck, but it was the first time she was fielded so now we can learn from it's weaknesses/strong points and move forward.

Here are some of the pictures I took, mostly from Sunday.

The rest can be found here,
http://s274.photobucket.com/user....&page=1

--------------
 Post Number: 53
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013,21:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks to all the 23 attendees (5 American, 8 Russian, and 10 German) who showed and to the ample generosity of donation providers.  This year we'll be able to donate $150 to the chapel at the fort for whatever needs they deem necessary.  Special thanks to Troy who elected not to collect any vehicle cost reimbursements which allowed us to reach this record amount.

As most of you know, this event is stressful for Steve and I as we have many hoops to jump through but the support staff at Ft. McCoy were all helpful and I believe they are actually getting used to us.  Likewise the event attendees all did their part to lessen my stress by helping with radio checks and performing a thorough clean up of their camp areas.  Thank-you.  The photo below will be sent with some others to their PR offices in my after-action and it will carry the caption, "Asked to place their right hand on their head if they liked the US Army and Fort McCoy in particular, the German team was unanimous."

After Saturday's scenarios and before we went for dinner.

I didn't get a group shot of the Allies as I didn't think of it in time and after the Saturday fighting everyone looked tuckered out and I didn't see the opportunity.  Next time.

As others have commented, the weather was not optimal but hardly ever is and Sunday was an improvement.  The breeze was making an appearance from time to time plus we fought in a shady area.  As last year, the Sunday battle was my highlight.  It seemed to flow nicely and I have to say that my first defensive location was this nice foxhole under a spacious oak that brought back memories of Combat.  I wished I had brought a bi-pod MG at that point.  It was a perfect spot.  The end of that scenario was a bit hectic and in hindsight, I believe the armored car might have attained its objective.  Troy stated he weaved past the mine in the road and I really am not sure if I didn't trip it while chasing the AC for an AT grenade throw (I missed).  I just recall scrambling for cover from the gunner and surrendering and then hearing the mine tampering device ringing in my ears.  I'd like to concede and give the benefit of the doubt to the Russian team.

On Saturday, the scenarios were fun and I felt pretty good.  The big complaint was the respawn distance in the rifle scenario which we corrected on the fly.  It did allow an interesting beginning pause right at the start as forces moved to meet one another and so that was the silver lining.  But not being a private parcel, these mistakes will happen.  That's why I purposely had Troy come with me to place them so that I could share any potential blame.  I'm only brave on the airsoft field.  The B13 training area still has lots we haven't seen and there are lots of areas still unexplored so I can't promise it won't happen again.  The other problem that cropped up was confusion over the scenario rules in the rifle skirmish and this involved continued fighting by some (not mentioning names as that is unimportant) after clicking the objective clicker rather than a return to the respawn, and problems with using Thompson's as bolt-action rifles (the idea being that between shots their hand had to touch the top or side of their weapon for a short delay so their sight picture was broken for a moment as in when firing a bolt-action.  Again no names but in this case it happened more than once with several players and is easy to hear and detect.  "Bang, bang, bang" sounds different than "Bang, pause while counting to three, bang, pause again, bang").  I'm not surprised that in the heat of battle these things happen but when called on them, I'm hoping to see compliance (I did BTW) with a smile since we are all friends out there.  Steve and I actually spend time formulating the scenarios and writing the rules to accomplish objectives and if players have problems with the concepts the time to voice those concerns is at the briefing or on these pages.  I suppose I could have given a better briefing at the event but that's why I write things up on this forum ahead of time.  On Sunday, strict adherence to the rules spared Aldrich's life when he was beaned in his Russian helmet (you could really hear it) and he called out "hit" and Gryphon reminded him that he was still alive.  That is what I like.  Follow the rules - good or bad.  I also want to emphasize that I have already put this all behind me and don't believe it helps to hold grudges, and also believe these were very minor troubles in an otherwise very well played and close game.  Taking a larger view of the play it was nearly trouble free.  When the results revealed that the Germans actually won the rifle scenario I was floored.  It sure didn't feel like we were winning that one.

The first scenario was ambush alley revisited from last year and once again the problems inherent in moving armor through wooded areas was evident when the defenders have some anti-armor capability.  I was not proud of my performance in this battle chalking up only one kill, a fellow German.  Sorry, Paul.  :)  It made me think that a future fun scenario would be to allow less AT weapons and less cover for the infantry.  Let's explore what happens then.  I want to drive the halftrack for that one.  Oh, the halftrack is all fixed.  My mechanic worked wonders this week while we played.  New gaskets all over the place and some repairs effected that should not have been needed in the first place but nonetheless, the track is healthier for it.  I parked it today after getting the walk-around explanation.  It should be good to go for the next outing.

Welcome American troops.  We had a record five American's in attendance and I hope you all had a good time.  Pretty soon, they might field a squad and then we'll have the problem of determining how to utilize them all.  A hearty welcome back to Garrick on the German team who played in wool.  I don't know how he does that.  Also I appreciated the participation of the 6th SS troops from the Chicago area.  That select group is always a formidable addition to our force and fun to see at events.  I finally had a chance to fight side-by-side with Vladimir and he holds his own and more.  Also, Justin represented the Chicago area on the German team and displayed his on-going G-43 build and came with additional refinements to his impression and you have to like that.

I guess the official results show scenario one a German victory as the Russians ran out of time - Scenario two a German victory as we edged out the Russians at the clickers, and scenario three (Sunday) a Russian win.  Their final assault was well executed.  I was frankly totally immersed on Sunday as we were often fighting separate, desperate engagements punctuated by no contact and just the sounds of a quiet forest.  It was superb.

Lastly, there was an experiment in an infiltration through enemy lines night action that the Russians completely dominated with six of six players slipping through extremely porous German defenses.  No need to analyze that battle too closely.  Just luck I suppose.  :p  The flares and tracer units added some fun though.  

Here are a couple more pics for the record.

Garrick enjoying his last use of Guesthouse Volga

Planning for the night action?

The period German camp sported three tents.  I thought it looked really good.

PS - Alban, missed ya.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 54
Terd Ferguson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013,21:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Educating the future.
 Post Number: 55
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013,01:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Terd, I really like the first photo of the landscape.

The 4th Annual Fort McCoy event is over and I think it was a lot of fun.  As others have pointed out there were a few blurps but there always are at these things.   Once you realize that they don't seem all that important.  It's the major blurps that cause concern and frankly, I can only remember one event with that and that occurred quite a while back.

Weather was really good, I thought.  Hardly any bugs and nighttime sleeping was comfortable.  Ok, so later in the day on Saturday I saw tunics being shed but really, it wasn't all that hot.  The first game and the last game were the most fun for me.  Every once in a while you get to experience a special skirmish and the first one was that for me.  We had to stop the Russian armor from reaching three objectives in order.  The Russians had unlimited respawns and three armor lives per objective.  Their enemy was time as they had to do it in two hours.  The Germans had only one life per objective.  I sent half of our troops forward and they put up a good fight killing Natasha twice before being ground down by continued Russian assaults.  The game went at least an hour and during these battles I sent two of the five that formed my squad to reinforce the frontal defenders.  I laid near the first objective with my ppsh, a grenade, and our lone panzerfaust with one shot.  Finally the battle reached me but by the time it did there were only 3 or 4 of us left alive.  I stayed low in my hole as my main task was to get rid of the armor and I heard lots of aeg fire on all sides of me.  I saw Vladimir walk off and then my brother died.  I think Garrick got pushed back and all of a sudden Gryphon appeared about 10 yards from my hole and he was trotting for the objective which was maybe 15 yards behind me.  I dispatched him with a short ppsh burst.  He was as surprised at being hit as I was to have seen him so close to my position.  Then I peeked forward and saw someone firing from a tree ahead of me.  I shot again and killed Ulrich (one of my own) and thought, "great, there's hardly anybody left and I just killed a guy that was busy keeping me alive."  I think Garrick had been killed by now also so I couldn't stay depressed for long because I thought I was the last defender.  I saw Natasha pulling forward about 30 yards from me with infantry support.  A long range ppsh burst took care of Kaitlyn and then I grabbed the panzerfaust and nudged it over the top of my foxhole.  I hit the armor frontally, killing two more Russians and then turned to see Russian infantry seizing our objective.  I grabbed the grenade and moved towards the back of my wonderful foxhole and heaved it over the concrete block.  Chris (Andre) and another Russian took their grenade kills and walked off.  I then left the hole and resecured our objective.  The attack had fizzled and I had many minutes of peace before Lily showed up and started taking pot shots at me.  I traded fire and Russian reinforcements continued to flood forward.  I felt helpless and only wanted to prolong the firefight.  After a couple of more minutes I finally felt the tugging of bb's on the back of my clothing and I died.  It isn't often that I get to blunt a soviet attack, kill six attackers, an armored car, and cost them precious time like I did in this one.  It was great fun and I'll remember that game for a while.

I really enjoyed Sunday's game too.  I didn't get any kills but died twice in that one.  Still, the terrain and the game was fun.  I know the Russians were getting tired but that's the price you pay when you have the armor.  We generally (but not always) make the side with armor do the attacking.  Another reason I liked this game was because I really enjoyed fighting alongside our small group of dedicated Lorrainers.  Seemed like old times.

I want to thank everyone who took the time and effort to attend.  These games need participation to succeed and I thought the first day attendance was pretty good.  We even had ten stay for the Sunday battle which once again, was a pretty good one.

I know we can sometimes pick things apart but here's an observation.  I saw Gryphon get pegged several times and he would often call out "good shot."   I saw Kaitlyn call out her hit when my ppsh round was pretty much at max range.  I saw Andre and another Russian walk off from my grenade toss after seizing the German location.  Again and again I am witness to solid clean play from our little group of players and I think that trumps minor concerns.  We have a great group of people.  Thanks for sharing a weekend of fun with me.

It was great to see Garrick again.  Fighting side by side on several occasions, it seemed like he hadn't been gone at all.  

P.S. - Alban, missed ya.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 56
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013,14:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All the usual thanks to the hosts and players.  You would think by now I would just have a form paragraph I could paste in here.  :p

The first scenario was part of a sequence of three objectives the Russians had to take in two hours.  The Germans only got one life per objective, Natasha got three, and the attacking infantry had unlimited respawns.  The enemy was gunning for the big concrete block at the trail intersection and had to come up the “ambush alley” road.  We split our deployment with Legacy, Garrick, Aldrich, Wellnitz and I setting up where the ridges were closest to the trail.  The others deployed to “watch our flank,” which I felt was a mistake as it halved our forces at the point of contact.  So long as we do not mistake good luck for good tactics, it worked out for us.  During the battle, the flank force ended up around the trail and objective, effectively giving our defensive line additional depth.  The fact that we had a lot of anti-tank equipment certainly helped too.

Landmines were emplaced, and we dug in to receive the Russian hordes.  Right away things started to go south when Legacy’s G43 jammed.  At least it had the courtesy to do so before combat.  I scurried over to loan him my PPSh and trade spots so that an automatic could cover the panzerschreck team.  I edged forward to do Alban’s job of forward sniper.  I did not have to wait overlong.  The thick areas at McCoy mean you can typically hear people coming before you see them, and though the Russians tried to be extra sneaky, we knew they were coming.  I spotted a tan figure moving up and IDed Gryphon first from his shoulder boards.  I thought “Oh goody, a potential officer kill, but if anyone will react instantly to rifle fire, it is Gryphon.”  I held out for a clean shot and took it.  Miss!  As predicted, my target immediately warned “Sniper my 1 o’clock!” and took cover.  I put down a few more rounds, which he said afterwards were going right by his head, but the others were deploying to envelope my position, which was my cue to leave.  I took off to the rear and half-tripped, leading to one of those comical, flailing flights where the off-balance guy has to either fall or run even faster to stay upright.  Not my most graceful moment.  I got down the slope behind Garrick, and he soon opened fire with his MP44.  As I tried to find a useful support position, the enemy advanced on our left and eliminated our three soldaten there.  Natasha was being very cautious; her infantry far forward.  I figured we were toast, especially when Garrick started engaging targets at his 9 o’clock.  I did not feel useful, so I decided on a long shot and flanked wide right with the intent of looping behind the enemy and catching their armor from the rear.  As I moved I heard confirmation that I had been spotted:  the “snick” of rifle fire.  I managed to locate Jordan upslope and put several rounds on him before he could fire again.  None connected, but when he hunkered down I bolted, moving to put heavy brush between us to break LOS.  I then went even wider, circling around virtually to the enemy respawn.  I picked my way through the dense area as carefully as I could, but I had not the time to be super sneaky and could only hope the Russians had not deployed a rearguard to cut me off.

Abruptly the next sunlight patch turned out to be the trail.  I cautiously surveyed its length, knowing enemy dead and respawnees would almost certainly be using it.  It was clear for the moment and edging out I spotted Natasha further up the road.  Excellent, this might work after all.  I hooked back into the woods to close the distance.  Natasha started up, but given how cautious she had been moving, I figured she would not go far.  Sure enough, Troy soon cut the engine.  Glancing out again, my quarry was not as close as I would have liked but close enough to contemplate a wurfmine charge.  There was some AEG fire, and the turret swung portside.  Peeking through the grass, I watched the side windows, waiting for an opportunity when one was not facing me.  It would not do for the gunner to see me at the last moment.  The turret went back forward, and I prepared to run for it.  I checked my rear to make sure it was clear and FRAK!  Andre was right there, coming back from respawn.  I could do nothing except freeze and slowly sink into the grass in the hopes he would not spot me.  Fortunately my pistol was already in hand because he was arguably already inside rifle range.  I waited for a sure kill and opened fire, taking him completely by surprise.  Assuming the commotion had compromised my position, I left my rifle and sprinted up the trail, pistol in one hand, wurfmine in the other.  For long seconds there was no indication I had been spotted, then yelling and shooting.  The wurfmine made a solid hit, just as the turret spun backwards.  I took cover behind the car, somehow still alive, and let the crew know they were not.  AEG fire sounded from behind Garrick’s old position.  I thought it sounded like his MP44 but charged over the ridge, hoping to take the Russian by surprise if it was one.  I had never expected Garrick to survive that long on his own, but there he was, wanting me to take up another position.  All I could do was show my hands since I was now armed with nothing but a pistol (Well, and grenades.  I always have grenades.  That goes without saying.).  “Is that all you have?”  I nodded.  “Fall back.”  We fell back to take a breather.  I was pretty spent and thus gave Wellnitz my life.  I needed to hydrate and recover.  All that movement in wool was not my smartest idea ever.  After a bit I donned a kill rag and went to recover all my gear that had been abandoned or fallen out during the first sprint.  It was entertaining to watch the rest of the battle unfold around the block.  I figured our remaining guys were toast when Russians flanked behind the respawn truck, but Franz and Garrick dealt with them.  We drug that fight out a long time.  When the last German fell, the Allies only had 20 minutes for the next two objectives.  Franz and Ulrich also managed armor kills, so Natasha was taken out of that scenario for good.  I believe at least three Russians were killed by anti-tampering devices on the Teller mines.

The second defense point was in the middle of the open field.  This did not seem to bode well for us given the distinct lack of hard cover.  Sure we could hide in the long grass, but we could not move around without being seen.  I deployed behind a tree on our far left flank, went prone and waited.  Natasha used the roads to circle behind us.  Several of us thought she dropped off troops there, so their ruse worked.  Troy then went off road into the most open section of the field.  I snuck to the nearby cement block to stay hidden and began to formulate a plan for crawling closer through the long grass.  I think Natasha was in the strongest position she could have been, but fortunately something spooked her, and the BA-64 reversed out.  I went back to my tree.  There was small arms fire to my right, but none of the fighting reached me.  A few times I thought I heard people moving in front of me, but it must have been the wind.  Troy kept driving, and I listened very carefully to the sound of his engine.  It did not sound like he had gone off road, but all of a sudden Natasha appeared in the left field.  This put me in a very bad position.  I was not behind my tree as viewed from the armored car, and the terrain did not give me anywhere to crawl to unobserved.  I did my best to slither around and for a moment I thought I had gone unobserved.  The armored car advanced; I kept the tree between us, but Maddy was smart enough to keep my position covered, whether or not she knew it was occupied.  Suddenly a Russian warning was yelled, and an AEG opened fired.  I braced, but no BBs struck my tree.  Instead, one of the 6th SS guys emerged (dead) from the grass.  I thought I had a lucky break, but Troy kept going, and I was spotted.  Now BBs did spray off my tree, and kept spraying as my target moved further away.  Fortunately the panzerfaust again knocked her out, just as Wellnitz came running with one of the spare wurfmines.  I dug back into my position.  By now pretty much all the grass around it had been flattened, which was somewhat less than ideal.  The assault clock had run out by my watch, but I was not the event coordinator and was just as happy to keep playing.  After the allotted time, my armored nemesis rumbled back into the fray.  In the nick of time I decided to change trees and got to cover just as Natasha came into view.  When she advanced, I again carefully kept my tree between us, and again a warning was shouted, followed by AEG fire.  The crew had spotted Wellnitz just as they drove right by me.  With their attention conveniently diverted, I sprang to my feet and delivered death by wurfmine.  I had no further contact before endex, though I hear Garrick and Andre had a great little standoff.

The third scenario was a rifle-heavy “meeting engagement.”  We were on a stretch of B-13 we had not played before, and a large stretch it was.  Clicker flags were placed somewhere in the middle.  Each side could hit their clicker, but if you did, you had to go back to respawn.  Initially I really enjoyed the size of this scenario.  We had a long march with plenty of tension since we did not know where the objective was or how long it would be until enemy contact.  As it was, we nearly passed the flags.  A few of our guys delivered clicks; Garrick and I dug in on the slope above them.  It seemed a long time before the enemy arrived, but after a few minutes I spotted Gryphon on point and heard him yell that he had spotted the flags.  Alas, he was out of range behind me, and the rest of his team was approaching from a very bad angle with respect to my cover.  I shot at Tom, then put a few rounds on Maddy.  She was getting uncomfortably close in heavy brush, and I knew she was one of their automatics.  I was caught in a bad position with no line of retreat and soon died.  The respawn walk was very long and got to be tiring for those of us that made it many times.  Alone, I returned to roughly the same slope and linked up with Garrick and Aldrich at one of the old foundations.  They were heavily engaged.  When Garrick went down, Americans pushed the position.  I managed to eliminate Tom, but when Alex went wide in the open, I made the mistake of taking cover, letting him get a hard bead on my position and keep me suppressed.  A round clipped the top of my hat, sending me off to respawn again.  This time I made sure to come back as a group.  We advanced from the German 6 o’clock, and I soon found myself overlooking the flag clearing.  It seemed quiet enough to make a break for the clicker, so I motioned for Otto to take my position.  Just as he moved, an automatic opened up.  I probably saved his life, but there was no way I could cross the open ground now, and it sounded like the Americans were sweeping in behind us from the high ground.  I knew the location of the MG but did not have a shot.  Fortunately someone on our far right did.  I kept hearing the snick of rifle fire and finally the Russian subgunner called hit.  I broke cover and ran for the clicker.  Halfway there I spotted a head under a tree directly in front of me.  My reflex save must have been a critical success, because an instant after Maddy opened fire, I veered hard right, staying a hair ahead of her BB stream, and crashing down behind a big tree.  The next few minutes were spent ever so carefully peeking around, trying to locate her position.  Finally I was able to spot just the top edge of her goggles and eased my rifle around the tree trunk.  One shot, one kill.  Ok, that was both their automatics, it must be clear enough now.  I moved to the clicker and hit it just before more BBs came in.  I had not been killed, but I pulled my killrag to show that I was out of play.  This was my interpretation of the clicker rules, but during the game there was some confusion over how it worked.  Walking out I passed Alex behind us, and figured the German position was about to fold.

A lot of Germans were making the long walk.  It felt like we were losing the fight, taking more casualties and losing ground.  I suspected the Allies had not been getting a lot of clicks though.  It seemed like though we were getting pushed back, it was never a complete rout, and there were always some Germans contesting control of the flags.  Once again I waited until a group of respawns was available so we could return en masse.  Garrick led us into the right flank, and we approached the flags from deep in the woods side.  We heard semi-auto fire ahead of us and crept forward, coming upon Brett from behind.  He surrendered in the face of certain death.  Then there was commotion across from the flags, and we heard Andre yelling that the Germans only had a rifleman guarding the position.  Go get clicks!  I rushed forward in time to put some shots on Lily as she went for the flag.  I do not know how I missed her, so the erratic anti-rifle dance must have worked.  Her return fire forced me to the ground behind a tree not big enough to save me.  More walking.  It was late into the scenario now, and people were getting tired.  The respawns had been moved up, but energy was flagging.  The Germans had taken near complete casualties again, but we sortied one last time, repeating the earlier route deep into the rear.  It was quiet (too quiet), and we got into defensive positions just in time to receive a similar all-in final push from the enemy.  Garrick was engaged in front of me, and I saw Troy go wide with an MP44.  I fell back to guard our flank until I heard Otto yell to go get clicks because time was almost up.  I made it successfully to the clicker again, but two soldaten just behind me were not so lucky.  Both took a barrage of semi-auto hits, one just before he had clicked, the other just after.  I hung around until endex and was surprised to see we had 15 clicks, and the enemy only 6.  That was very surprising.  Final kill numbers for each side were identical at 21.  I guess we put up a better fight than we initially thought.

There was a short night game after dark.  The Russians had to try to slip through German lines and escape to a road.  Otto added some nice touches with his flare gun, but due to poor German placement, all the sneaky Bolsheviks escaped.

I understand the Sunday game was what would have been the third Saturday assault had the Allies not run out of time.  The five remaining Germans were tasked with defending a hill.  I dropped mines on the trail again and after giving up an awesome spot to the panzerfaust, I settled in behind a small bush.  Other than its size, it was a pretty good position.  It hid me well without being so dense as to screw up rifle fire.  The Russians advanced, and I was able to get in a few flank shots as they began to pass my position.  Unfortunately I missed my targets (again) but managed to remain hidden.  After Gryphon and Jordan were picked off, Troy backed away and retreated down a side trail that went right past my bush.  It would have been a good setup for an armor kill, but the turret stayed locked in my direction, and it was all I could do to scoot around to stay unseen.  I remained in that spot while the enemy regrouped.  The second attack came and again Troy fell back when we killed his infantry support.  Then I heard noise behind me and looked back to see Jordan at my 5 o’clock.  A mad scramble around my bush followed, which put Natasha at my back.  Fortunately she was either out of range did not see me.  I could not worry about it however, as the ensuing short range game of rifle whack-a-mole required my full attention.  I felt like I could win the exchange since Jordan’s tree has not quite big enough to fully shield him, but I gave him enough time to aim after one failed shot.  When I popped up again ever so briefly, he tagged the top of my hat.  Good shot.  I respawned at the top of the hill and veered left, aiming to take position atop a local rise and shoot down on Jordan.  As I moved, I thought I heard movement in the woods to my left, then out of the corner of my eye I caught a shadow moving.  Crud.  I was again forced to freeze in a poor position.  And it was Gryphon carrying a subgun.  I aimed and waited, knowing that first round needed to count.  He emerged from the brush and paused behind a tree.  He seemed to be looking right at me, so I took the shot.  And missed.  The MP-40 came up, and I dove to the ground about an inch ahead of the BBs determined to meet my head.  I got in another shot, but the enemy leader was moving aggressively against me.  I had been on the other side of this exchange often enough to know how it usually ended.  I fell back a bit, then heard rifle fire behind.  I had reversed enough that Jordan now had shots at my back.  Time for full flight through the worst bit of terrain on the hill:  a bunch of deadfall had created the human version of a cattleguard, through which I flailed and stumbled until I could all out sprint down the hill back to German lines.  This was to have important future consequences.  “Gryphon behind us on the left!” I warned.  The others indicated hostiles to our front and right.  I moved back toward respawn and watched for Gryphon.  Glancing behind me, I saw evil Aldrich sneaking up on Wellnitz from behind.  We saw each other at about the same time.  My Mauser shot went wide, and he sprayed at me with a pistol.  He ran forward, changed his mind and tried to flee back into the brush.  I managed to tag him in the back just before he made it.  Now Gryhon appeared between us and respawn.  I think Garrick fired on him, and he ducked behind some bushes.  I prepared my pistol and a grenade just in case.  Much sooner than I had expected, Gryphon rushed us, heading straight toward my bush.  I fired though it with my pistol, catching him in the legs.  A grenade followed just as he called hit.

The front seemingly stabilized, I again went deep left, using high ground to shield me from view.  Jordan was still up there somewhere, and I hoped to return the favor of catching him from behind.  As I moved, Natasha returned, moving aggressively up the trail.  This was an excellent opportunity, so I grabbed my wurfmine.  Or rather, I had an Indiana Jones-esque moment where I went to grab my wurfmine and it was missing.  Frak!  It must have fallen out when Gryphon chased me off the hill.  Frak frak!  I still had grenades of course, but it was much harder to get a tank kill with them.  No choice but to try I guess.  I moved forward, still thinking Jordan was in the area, but I found Aldrich instead.  He was advancing, oblivious to my presence, so I took careful aim at long range and fired.  His helmet gave a resounding DING!  Woot, wait, was he going to use that annoying helmet rule?  Yes, yes, he was.  Grrr.  I waited, hoping he had not realized the previous BB came from behind him.  I was right.  After getting his hearing back, he stood to fire again, and my next round went into his neck.  Natasha was assaulting, so I had to move.  Basically completely in the open I moved laterally to get behind her and broke into a run as I neared.  I was not sure I was going to make it.  Maddy was looking not quite enough in the wrong direction, then she caught me in her peripheral vision, and I was sure I was not going to make it.  I was not yet close enough to duck under the turret’s arc and had nowhere to go.  It was almost in slow motion.  She fired; I kept running.  This was going to hurt.  No BBs impacted.  It dawned on me her weapon was not feeding.  The gods of war had favored me!  I finished closing and dunked a stick grenade in the back door.  Kaboom!  Glancing right, I saw Jordan the same moment he saw me.  Another panicked short range rifle duel ensued, except this time I won.  Looking forward, I saw that Gryphon has successfully assaulted Garrick’s foxhole, so I shot him too.  Retreating back to German lines, it dawned on me that I had just killed pretty much the entire enemy team.  And survived!  Woo!  We dug in for the next attack.  Wellnitz and I took the right side of the trail.  I figured we needed a wurfmine on that side (I had retraced my steps and recovered it).  We waited, knowing the clock was running out and that the enemy would wait for their armor to respawn before hitting us with a mass assault.  We were right.  Natasha rumbled forward; Wellnitz and I fired on Jordan who scrambled back.  The BA-64 roared right past me, shooting the other way:  a perfect setup for a wurfkill.  I jumped up and ran straight into Gryphon who casually hosed me down.  Aaaarrrg!  Fickle war gods!  Someone else got him a few moments later as Troy charged the objective.  An anti-tampering device was screeching, so either Natasha drove over it or Otto tripped it when he made a wurfcharge.  The other Russians (minus Jordan) had also been killed, so we mutually agreed to end the scenario a bit early as everyone was tired.  It was a very difficult assault for the Allies, but they gave it their all, and everyone had a blast.
 Post Number: 57
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013,01:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics everyone. :)

The one Brett took of Steve and Aldrich on the hill is pretty fantastic.

--------------
 Post Number: 58
Cpl_Mills Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013,11:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://s240.photobucket.com/user....&page=1

This was an incredibly fun event! Unfortunately half of my pictures didn't make it. I have to get the camera checkout.

I had to sit out on the first scenario, I missed the safety briefing because two of our Rangers showed up and I was borrowing out gear to our newest recruit. I took that opportunity to take pictures. Joe and I went about the field taking pictures and he followed behind shooting video footage. It was in the second scenario that I picked up my rifle. Klecatsky and I low crawled to the middle of the field, there was a Kraut sniper giving the Russians hell, Klecatsky spotted him and I shot him. There was only about 20min to this scenario, it ended shortly after we greased the sniper.

The next scenario was the rifle match. The Rangers were on top performance for this one. Tom and Joe had M1A1 Thompsons on simi-auto, Klecatsky and I had rifles. Klecatsky with a M1 Garand, and I had the M1 Carbine. We made our way on top of the ridge, started to take sporadic fire. Sarge ordered me to flank right while he, Joe and Sean kept up a base of fire. I ran right, threw a pea grenade, then laid down fire on the concrete bunker. I shot a kraut in the helmet, he ducked down then lifted his head again. I again shot him in the helmet, I could hear the distinct ping of bb on metal. Kinda reminded me of a shooting gallery.

I yelled for the other Rangers to move up, and that was when Garrick popped up to shoot the advancing Rangers. But it was all for not because I shot him. We then advanced towards the bunker, one of the Ersatzjack brothers popped up and I shot him, Rekkon popped a shot off that missed and I killed him. A kraut on the other side of the bunker threw a grenade but alas for him it was over 10 feet away. The kraut bugged out and I believe one of our guys shot him.

That was when the krauts respawned and were walking back up towards us. I ran out in the open and blasted a clip at them then fell back in the hopes they would chase after. They moved closer and the rest of the squad opened up on them. I reloaded and again ran far right to flank them. With the German's attention divided we killed them. I moved back up towards the treeline, started to take fire so I again ran far right. I ended up behind the German line. One of the Ersatzjack brothers was shooting at me. I ran into the woods downhill, dove through the branches of a fallen log popped up and killed him. I made my way back to the squad, made radio contact and we decided to make a pincer attack down the hill.

We ran down the hill, I blasted off my last Carbine clip and was down to my pistol. The other guys bought the farm and I was left alone. A German shot at me from my right, I returned fire. He took off to get cover and I maliciously hunted him down. After I killed him I started to make my way back towards the Allied spawn. I saw an Ersatzjack brother coming down the hill, I shot once at him and he took cover. Because his attention was on my direction he was killed by a Russian. I spotted the flags, made a mad dash for our flag. I clicked the clicker and made the trek back to spawn to fight again. By this time the match was almost over and I didn't make much headway before the game ended by the time I got back in the fight.

It was a lot of fun, sportsmanship was at an all time high.
 Post Number: 59
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013,13:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alex - That's too bad about the other pictures.  But these look nice.  I wanted some American shots and you got that covered.  Thanks for posting them.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
58 replies since May 29 2013,21:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 6 of 6<<23456
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 4th Annual Ft. McCoy 16-18 August 2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code