Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ostwind Setting/Theme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2015,10:55  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since we are a go with Ostwind, I think it would be good to pick out a theme or time frame that the event takes place in.  

My vote would be for 1944, operation Bagration.  With that time frame, the setting could be anywhere from western Ukraine, Eastern Europe, to Poland.  Plus, since much of Bagration took place in swamps and heavy forests, it would fit the terrain that we would be working with.  Also, since massive offensives often saw soldiers on both sides becoming isolated through overextended advances and dramatic breakthroughs, scenarios with small unit actions would fit in pretty well.  

Uniform and equipment restrictions would be pretty accommodating with what we have already.  As a whole, uniform items from 1944 would be preferred.  That means m42-43 uniforms for the Germans, and m43 uniforms for the Russians.  Granted, earlier uniform variations would be allowed too, but ones from 1944 would be the ideal for anyone doing uniform shopping.

I also think we should come up with a basic shopping list based along whatever theme we choose.  Since there are so many uniform variations and offerings, having a basic list will help new members find what they need easily.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2015,11:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have already done some work on a packing list.  I will give it another pass and post it here.  Even if it ends up changing, it will give people a starting point to acquire what they need before the event.
 Post Number: 3
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2015,17:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Operation Ostwind"

Intro: Operation Ostwind will be a 48 hour WW 2 Eastern Front continuous fieldcraft event with the possibility of enemy contact.  *1944 *Small Unit Actions *Western Ukraine
Scenarios: Training in Field Craft, Field Works & Squad Tactics. Enemy contact will depend upon the actions of the individuals assigned to sentry duty, forward observation post and patrols.

Date: May 13th-15th, 2016
Fri.13th arrive by 12:00 noon for self-reg. and pre combat inspection.
Sat.14th Training
Sun.15th walk back to parking lot at 12:00 noon.

Location: Levis/Trow Mound Recreation Area, N1589 Fisher Ave. Neillsville, WI. 54456  ( 640 acres will be used of the 4 mile square county forest )

Note: More Info To Follow as Details Firm Up.
 Post Number: 4
Fritz Moos Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2015,21:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there a topo map of this area or coordinates of the field of play to reproduce period maps for orienteering?

With respect,

Fritz Sepp

--------------

there is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
 Post Number: 5
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2015,07:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Fritz,

I will stop by the county offices today or early next week to see what sort of USGS topos or railroad/timber co. surveys of the area they have on file in deeds or forest management. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Fire Protection District and the DNR; failing there, I'll try the USGS itself. Failing all else, we could actually attempt to have a squad play a combat engineers survey crew and try to generate our own maps in-game - I may have a source for 1930s-era surveying equipment (no promises.) I'm pretty certain I can lay my hands on existing topos for the area through the county government, though.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2015,08:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was already thinking we should take advantage of a new location by having patrols map the area.  The commanders should have good maps for emergency purposes, but beyond that, terrain familiarization is something we do not often get to do.

At the last MAA Ripley event, we were shunted to the lesser MOUT site that most of us had never played.  When we went to use the "school" building, instead of everyone checking it out first, I suggested the attackers stay back and go in blind.  You only get the chance to do that once.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2015,02:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some things that I think would be worth discussing in regards to Ostwind:

1)  Campsites.  How would we like to see campsites done for this event.  I can think of two possibilities mentioned.  The first being set bases for each side, which consists of a non mobile location where and HQ, tents, food, water, etc. can be deployed, coupled with smaller forward positions that can be established by each team in the field.  The second option is a mobile position, where players carry all things on their person, and set up camp wherever they may be at that particular time.  

2)  Uniforms and rank structure.   I know that there is no current rank structure right now, however, would it be worth considering establishing one for this event?  This may require some slight uniform modification in regards to insignia in order for people to fit the rank structure, but shouldn't require any major changes outside some alterations.

3)  Respawn rules.  Apologies if this has already been noted somewhere else, but have we firmly decided on what one does when they die?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2015,11:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1)  This is still up in the air.  Troy talked about going light where everything gets carried in.  Obviously some items get stashed at the patrol base, but this means no cots, no shelter beyond zelt tents and very limited support equipment. This requires each of us to make the initial hike with a fair amount of stuff, which is difficult given WWII kit, before you even consider splitting up all the group gear like field phones.  

The alternative is a somewhat larger patrol base with things like the Ersatzjack "staff" tent.  However, there are no vehicle trails (and no vehicles allowed) on the AO, so if we go "heavy," people will still need to carry all this stuff into and off the field, which will mean 2-3 hikes per person and the corresponding increase in set up/tear down time.

2)  This has not really been discussed yet beyond assuming that the two main organizers will be leadership for each side.

3)  Nope.  I was assuming 1-2 hour respawns.  It will most likely be long enough that effectively you will probably not have respawns for any individual task/patrol.  A medic system may be likely.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2015,16:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1)  I feel as though it would be more beneficial to have a set base with everything one would need as a place to fall back upon and respawn, rest, and re-arm.  However, I do agree that getting everything in the field may prove to be a problem in the time that we have.

3)  Will respawns be set at a location on the field?  Such as at a camp where a person may come back in, but cannot be ordered to take the field/leave camp until their time is up?

--------------
 Post Number: 10
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2015,18:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like to see a main Patrol Base/HQ setup for Fri. night.
Sat. fighting positions dug, LP/OP with field phones placed and training done during the day. Some short range mapping/scouting patrols done before dark. Guard Duty/Fire Watch at night.
Sun. Long range patrols. Respawn 1 hour at HQ and use a medic system with a bleed out time.

Rank Structure based on a small squad of 7+.
1 sgt. squad leader
2 cpl. team leaders
4 pvt. team members
If we had 10 members per side, we could have 2 larger teams in the squad or have a 3rd three man team.

Right now I believe Ryan and myself have the most MilSim time logged so I would like to assign Ryan "Rekkon" as the German Squad Sgt. and myself "Boris" as the Soviet Squad Sgt. Team Leader Cpls could be 2 of the training instructors.

This winter I plan to hold at least two Ostwind meetings to work on Soviet field gear, kits, rations and instructor lesson plans (check off items needed) the German side will also be invited to do the same.
26 replies since Aug. 20 2015,10:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ostwind Setting/Theme
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code