[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ostwind Setting/Theme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2015,19:00  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heavy Marching VS Light.

There are no AO roads that can be used in our 2 mile long map. The more gear brought in (Heavy) to the Patrol Base will most likely mean less distance off the starting point/road. Less distance off road will mean longer patrols to make contact. 1 mile patrol out = 2 miles total walked.

The basic gear to survive 48 hrs. walked in (Light) will most likely mean setting up a patrol base deeper into the woods. 1/2 mile patrol out = 1 mile total walked on patrol. It may take more than 1 patrol to make contact.

Walk 1 mile or 2 in just your combat load with food and water is not hard, but when it is off trail and in the wild woods it can be a work out. I want to take advantage of all of the daylight, sunrise to sunset.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 12
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2015,09:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Aldrich @ Oct. 27 2015,16:54)
1)  I feel as though it would be more beneficial to have a set base with everything one would need as a place to fall back upon and respawn, rest, and re-arm.  However, I do agree that getting everything in the field may prove to be a problem in the time that we have.

3)  Will respawns be set at a location on the field?  Such as at a camp where a person may come back in, but cannot be ordered to take the field/leave camp until their time is up?

1) will happen regardless.  The only difference will be how well-equipped the patrol base is.

3) Respawns will most likely be at the patrol base.  I am operating under the assumption that we will use the Eastwind "dead" model where you can tend to things (prep gear, clean mess kits, stoke fires) around camp, but cannot do anything "active" (stand watch, man the field phone).

Heavy Marching VS Light.

There are no AO roads that can be used in our 2 mile long map. The more gear brought in (Heavy) to the Patrol Base will most likely mean less distance off the starting point/road. Less distance off road will mean longer patrols to make contact. 1 mile patrol out = 2 miles total walked.

The basic gear to survive 48 hrs. walked in (Light) will most likely mean setting up a patrol base deeper into the woods. 1/2 mile patrol out = 1 mile total walked on patrol. It may take more than 1 patrol to make contact.

Walk 1 mile or 2 in just your combat load with food and water is not hard, but when it is off trail and in the wild woods it can be a work out. I want to take advantage of all of the daylight, sunrise to sunset.

Everyone needs to remember that "light" marching is not going to be all that light weight-wise.  Each of us will not only have to carry our own combat gear, camp kit and two days of food/water but also a share of any group equipment like field phones.
 Post Number: 13
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2015,11:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would highly recommend that any Germans who do not yet have a rucksack, to invest in one before this event.  I have found mine very useful for transporting gear and the like.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2015,14:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rucksacks will be required gear.
 Post Number: 15
Fritz Moos Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2015,19:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/moosem14/image_7.jpeg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/moosem14/image_13.jpeg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/moosem14/image.jpeg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/moosem14/image_6.jpeg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/moosem14/image_4.jpeg

The German Troop Bicycle, Truppenfahrrad has a rear rack, Gepacktrager, of massive proportions; longer than 3 ammo cans wide.  There were special racks to mount zelts on the handlebars, and either K98Ks, MG 42s, or panzerfausts.  

The attached photos indicate the prodigious cargo transport capabilities, even without the provision of a required rucksack on our backs.

As Troy indicated the absence of roads in the AO but the presence of bike trails, this might be suitable to the terrain.

Mit Respekt,

Fritz Sepp

--------------

there is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
 Post Number: 16
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2015,15:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"As Troy indicated the absence of roads in the AO but the presence of bike trails, this might be suitable to the terrain."

There won't be any bike trails in the portion of the park we'll be in. It's pretty much wild woods with patches of DNR planted trees.

Rough for infantry, very rough with bicycle.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Fritz Moos Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2015,18:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kamarade,

My sincerest apologies and a canteen of your favorite vodka!
I must have misunderstood Troy's post over on the Bicycle Project thread;
QUOTE FROM TROY:

"There are bike trails leading out of the parking area at the Levis Recreation Forest. The Germans could ride bikes the mile to their main camp and staging area. Right now there is a small group of Germans (4) who plan to do Ostwind. I don't know if they would all want to do up a basic German WW 2 style bike. I have a old bike that could work for a conversion."

Or perhaps I just got turned around in the woods  :D
Mit respekt,

Stepped Fritz

Or perhaps there is another Ostwind with secret maps?! :D  :D   ???

--------------

there is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
 Post Number: 18
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2015,21:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a new piece of the puzzle.  I recently met with some old family friends that I haven't seen in years and turns out they have roughly 500-acres (a 350-acre parcel and 155-acre parcel across a county highway from the 350).  This land is SW of Neillsville near Taylor, WI and even closer for Troy and myself and possibly a little closer for MN folks though not much.  As long as we don't use it during deer season (middle September through December) or Turkey season (April-May) I have permission to use the property for a WWII event.  I was thinking March would be excellent or we could use it instead of McCoy in August.  I had the tour today and it is by far the nicest piece of terrain I've ever fantasized playing on.  Rolling terrain, a nice mix of dirt roads and ATV trails, mature forest growth, wide tree lines connecting agriculture plots.  Amazing stuff.  We'd still collect donations and bio-bbs would be required.  So what dates appeal to folks.  March, July?, August?

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 19
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2015,22:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome!  I am fine with any of those months.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2015,00:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There could still be some snow on the ground in March. July and Aug. are the hot months of the year. People would need to come prepared and pace themselves. I would be fine with any of these months. If there are AO roads/trails, that would help with the hauling of extra water and larger tents. I just bought a new set of tires for the Ba-64.
26 replies since Aug. 20 2015,10:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ostwind Setting/Theme
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code