Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: WW 2 Army Rations, Ostwind Food Requirements< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2015,19:16  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Period looking military rations for Operation Ostwind will be a requirement. Small plain boxes or cartons, small paper bags or cloth ration bags, labels for cans and period bottles.

There is are a lot of information out there for Russian and German military rations:

www.reprorations.com
www.ww2rationtechnologies.com
www.dererstesug.com/german_rations_at_the_front.htm
www.hardscrabblefarm.com

No plastic Pepsi bottles, Corn Chips or Pudding Snack Packs. The list is too long to mention all of the "No Go" items. Do some research and make your Motherland and Fatherland proud!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2015,22:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I made these on the cheap for the one Big Lake game, I just threw the crispbread (removed from box) and can of meat (modern label removed) into a brown paper lunchbag.  Glue and roll the top, and you have pretty much exactly what reprorations.com sells, sans labels.

I still have a tube of erbswurst too.

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2015,20:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I go to Rockford, IL. for the big WW 2 public event in a few weeks, I'll check with the vendors for sheets of labels. If I can find a selection of ration labels for Russian and German, I will keep a master set and make copies for our Ostwind participants.
 Post Number: 4
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2015,21:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the looks of it, I would be able to make most of the Russian labels shown on reprorations using an online Cyrillic keyboard.  I can start a google doc that anyone can access.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2015,22:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll bring a few loaves of brick-like Red Army-style rye bread and some cloth bags of sunflower seeds for sharing out. Been trying for a couple of years to score an inexpensive old-style pinecone-burning field samovar, but no luck so far....

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6367944/il_fullxfull.315638270.jpg

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Fritz Moos Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2015,10:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[IMG]http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums....MG]

Oranier stoves, like my exact repro, were made expressly to fit and heat the German mess kit, as well as all cooking and heating needs. The firebox opening exactly fits the oval shaped bottom, and the tabs on the side allow suspending multiple mess kits from the bail with the curved sides in perfect contact with the round stove. It can utilize wood, coal, charcoal, or any solid combustible.

[IMG]http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums....MG]

I look forward to getting some extensive Ostwind use :)
With respect,
Fritz Sepp

--------------

there is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2015,17:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neat mess kit stove! I have never seen one like that before. It would be nice to take along every thing to include the kitchen sink for Ostwind. Remember, we will be a small squad on the move and every thing carried in on our backs. Be ready to put on some miles by foot. A E-bit stove with fuel tabs will be a lot easier to travel with.
 Post Number: 8
Fritz Moos Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2015,18:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unless I can figure a mortar conversion it will have to stay at home along with Gryphon's Samovar.

I sounds like no to cots and officers tent's for the high command as well? :D

With respect,

Fritz Sepp

--------------

there is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2016,14:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have a EZ-bit stove with fuel cubes, plan on using it to heat up your period rations.  Last week when I stopped by the AO the DNR was requiring permits to burn. I will check and see if we will be allowed to have a campfire in the county forest.
8 replies since Sep. 02 2015,19:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply WW 2 Army Rations
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code