Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Questions about a new event, Me possibly holding a event.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Wilhelm Torgersen Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013,01:10  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello! I am interested in hosting a event, it would probably be in big lake(I spoke about this with travis). I have hosted modern events before and I wanted to try a WWII one. I wanted to make the event a little bit more authentic like by using night raids, field phones, period camping, chain of command, random attacks and things going wrong! It would probably last multiple days like three or so, also it might be around the fall. But I had a few questions before I get in to more details.

1: what would you like to see different from past events?
2: would you prefer vehicles in play or just men?
3: would you be interested in a "eastwind" type game?
4: do you like trenches and buildings on a battlefield or just a forest/ field?
5: what time of year do you like reenacting?
6: do you like high authenticity events or low authenticity?
7: how many nights will you be willing to camp out?
8: what do you think about me holding a event?
9: would you be ok having another big lake game?
10: would you be ok taking night patrols or fighting in the dark?
11: what battle would you like to see portrayed

The reason I ask these questions is I would like to exclude everyones thoughts to make this enjoyable for everyone, I also would like to see a WWII eastwind game.  BTW thanks Rekkon, Andre and all the event organizers that put together the last game! Thank you for your time.

Wilhelm

--------------
"All wars are civil because all men are brothers"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013,17:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've batted the idea about a full immersion event around some in the past and it just hasn't come together yet.
To keep attendance and interest up we usually run 6-7 events a year, adding another date is a possibility but I think would take some convincing.
If this is something you are serious about (and it seems like you are) we should maybe think about having it during one of our regularly scheduled games (i.e. April, June, October or December) and start planning it now for next year.
I'd be open to your planning assistance for next years June game in Big Lake if that's acceptable to you.

1: what would you like to see different from past events?
A full emersion event would be different from past events.

2: would you prefer vehicles in play or just men?
I'm a fan of vehicles but I would leave them out of any night actions as a safety concern.

3: would you be interested in a "eastwind" type game?
Yes

4: do you like trenches and buildings on a battlefield or just a forest/ field?
A mixture of terrain is ideal.

5: what time of year do you like reenacting?
I enjoy reenacting anytime of year.

6: do you like high authenticity events or low authenticity?
Higher authenticity is better (I know that I use a Sten as a Russian soldier but still.)

7: how many nights will you be willing to camp out?
For a first immersion event I'd start with a weekend (2 nights)

8: what do you think about me holding a event?
I'm open to it but I think you'll want some help.

9: would you be ok having another big lake game?
We'll discuss this more.

10: would you be ok taking night patrols or fighting in the dark?
Yes, but night battles can be a real cluster frak.

11: what battle would you like to see portrayed
  I'm open to suggetions

--------------
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013,17:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I was thinking this December or even January. PM me for extra details and we can start talking about it. I already got a few paratroopers. And agreed about night battles, but I was talking like people would take turns on gaurd duty through out the night and the enemy could arrange a attack anytime. It's the feeling you could be attacked at anytime is my goal. I could do June but I would like to have it in a month where it's not to hot and muggy like October/November and Ect.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013,12:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing to consider is that the future of the "Stalingrad"  event is up for discussion.  I know there has been some talk regarding whether or not to hold this event due to attendance numbers.  I would be very open to the possibility of replacing it with another winter event should Stalingrad be dropped.  As we do the Russian front it would be a shame to lose an event where we can crawl in the snow (if there is any).

1)  I agree with Andre.  Full emersion event, hands down.

2)  Also a fan of vehicles, we have them, so why no use them?

3)  Eastwind?  Most definitely.

4)  I do like a mixture of trenches and buildings with natural.  Big Lake is a good example.

5)  Any time of year is fine, though July may prove a bit warm.

6)  High authenticity.  If someone has one or two things that look good at a glance, that's fine.  For example, plain leather boots are fine if you can't get period ones, just as long as they look good.  (also, using a sten as a Russian is fine  :;): )

7)  I agree with just a weekend for starters.

8)  I would definitely get help from Andre, Rekkon, and Travis.  Planning this stuff is hard, and they have both good ideas and experience.

9)  Sure, I like the field at Big Lake, I would be more open to modifying an existing event though.

10)  Sure, but it depends on the terrain and the type of night.  

11)  I like to keep things generalized to a part of the war rather than an exact event.  I find it easier to immerse myself in the playing field as you are not forcing the field to look like something it is not.  For example, having a late war "battle of Berlin"  event at Big Lake would not be very convincing.  But something about the Russians advancing across East Germany would be.  Also, it's best to stick from the fall of 1943 and onward when considering our vehicles, uniforms, and weapons.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013,12:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok if I get a few more people in this conversation I will bring it up with Andre, Rekkon and Travis.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013,01:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We'd support a battle there in cold weather.  We might not host Pickerel in February (not going into why right now and it has nothing to do with members or sour grapes whatsoever) so would be willing to go the extra mile to fill that void with a cold weather event at Big Lake.  Before the snow flies is my suggestion.  This would be a good event especially if APOC Stalingrad is going bye-bye.

Cold but not hard to move.  If you can sandwich in your event with those parameters, I think interest would be pretty healthy.  All other options are whatever the event organizers want.  I'm not fussy.  :)

I see you have some response from airsofters in Michigan on the other boards.  I think it is highly unrealistic to expect that any of them will make that kind of drive in cold weather though it would be nice to have them.  But just don't plan for it.

Also, hosting events is work.  Rekkon and Andre already host the June event at Big Lake and sometimes a later Big Lake in December and then Stalingrad.  To ask them for help is logical but probably not the way to go.  They have enough on their plate. Unless they are coming to you with offers of help.  Better for you to work with Travis and possibly get another interested party to help you with this and then everyone at MOA can sit back and watch you run things and relax at a "Wilhelm" event that they don't also have to organize.  That would be an easier sell for you.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013,08:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agreed, the reason why I said October is its not to hot and not to cold so we wouldn't roast or freeze in our wool. And nobody would want to camp in the cold. But I will send travis a link to this post and see what he thinks.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013,11:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

October conflicts with Troy's event at Neillsville.

Also, you might consider a summer event in July as then you are off of school.  In December/January, you have school to concentrate on.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013,20:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can just ask my teacher if I could do my homework ahead of time, that's what I did when I went to pickerel. I would probably do December, what dates work for you guys?

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013,13:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As others have pointed out, we already have events in January (Stalingrad), February (Pickerel), April (Neillsville), June (Big Lake), August (Fort McCoy), October (Neillsville) and December (Big Lake).  That leaves March, May, July, September and November if you want to run an entirely new event.  If you want to replace an existing event, I would be opposed to doing so for Fort McCoy or either of the Neillsville events.  Your best (and closest) bet would be to take one of the Big Lake slots.  I have not decided what to do with Stalingrad yet.

1: What would you like to see different from past events?
Our events are pretty successfull.  If there is something we do not do, there is probably a reason for it, likely one learned from experience.

2: Would you prefer vehicles in play or just men?
Variety.  The same thing, no matter what it is, gets old if that is all you do.  That and I appreciate occassionally not having to lug around anti-tank stuff and save everyone from the big mean armored car.

3: Would you be interested in a "Eastwind" type game?
Maybe.  I hate camping, but I have looked into attending Eastwind for the experience.  Such an event is a lot of additional work though, which is why Andre and I abandoned it for the last Big Lake game, and no one MOA member could replicate the Eastwind experience.  It would have to be a big, collaborative effort.

4: Do you like trenches and buildings on a battlefield or just a forest/ field?
Variety.  The same thing, no matter what it is, gets old if that is all you do.  Mostly we play outdoors, so built up areas tend to be the novelty.  We did not have a "trench battle" at the last Big Lake game because most of us have played the field many times and there is almost always one of those.

5: What time of year do you like reenacting?
We already play all year.

6: Do you like high authenticity events or low authenticity?
High.

7: How many nights will you be willing to camp out?
I hate camping, I just put up with it occassionally for airsoft.

8: What do you think about me holding a event?
Go for it, but I make no guarantee I will attend.  To be frank, you are inexperienced at hosting events, and if I do not like what I see, I will not drive 5+ hours one way to attend.  I will also not help you run it.  You are free to bounce ideas off me, but I already run or help run 4+ events a year.  That said the only way to get OC experience it to actually OC, so again, go for it.  Most of us no longer have the time or energy to devote to event planning that you likely do, and the MOA will need "new blood" to continue in the long term.  That means new people learning the ropes, even at the cost of a few imperfect games.

9: Would you be ok having another big lake game?
Yes, no guarantee I will attend though.

10: Would you be ok taking night patrols or fighting in the dark?
I already play night games, so yes.

11: What battle would you like to see portrayed?
It does not matter.  Given our player, vehicle and field limitations, there is only so much we can do in the "theme" department.  Mimicing a battle really only gives the game a name, which is just icing.  Not even that maybe, just sprinkles on the icing.
12 replies since Jul. 24 2013,01:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Questions about a new event
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code