Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: WWII Event at Airsoft Extreme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2015,16:39  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The airsoft field "Airsoft Extreme" has contacted me via the WWII airsoft facebook page and was wondering if we would like to host a WWII themed event at their field.  They said they would like an event "with more theatrics involved than normal gameplay".  They want the theme to be D-Day.  I do not know if they are willing to do a strict WWII event, but my guess is no.  Would this be something we would be interested in?  

I think this could be a great chance for publicity, especially if we can have it be "name of the event: hosted by Midwest Ostfront Airsoft".  We could also set up a small display table to promote WWII airsoft.  Thoughts?

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2015,20:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More info.  Where is this field?  What are our costs?  If you know...  What date do you have in mind?  I'm guessing it's already late in the game for June event.  Let's start with answers to those questions.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2015,21:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The field is located in New Richmond, WI.  It is east of Minneapolis.  They have told me that they are open to suggestions regarding the date.  I have inquired as to costs and am awaiting a reply.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2015,21:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Event fees are typically $15.00.  However they are offering to let any reenactor come free of charge as long as they have a WWII uniform since we will add to the event's atmosphere.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2015,01:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How does this sound - Time warp in a parallel dimension where all WWII properly dressed and equipped fighters take on modern players.  The catch is that we have the half-track and the armored car.  We all play against the modern players.  Maybe do this instead of Ft. McCoy the first weekend of August.  Allow camping on Friday so we can learn the lay of the land.  Maybe do a recon sometime this summer.  If it becomes too imbalanced we'd take some modern players and equip them as WWII.  It would be a hoot.  The modern players might catch the bug this way.  Instead of D-day, call it WWIV which was caused by WWIII ripping open the time space continuum.  Catchy title I think.  We start brainstorming the details if we can get more than a handful of us to try this.  It could become a super cool event.  The deck would be stacked in favor of WWII players and if you wanted to be on the winning side you'd want to put together an impression.  Not saying that we would "win" but you want players to say to themselves - "I want to be fighting with armor and MG-42's."  We could do some promo videos to put on their site.  Me in front of the track saying I want to "put things right" - but first we in the past have to punish the modern folks that caused the dilemma, and Troy could do likewise.  We could talk schmack with uniforms on and I think it would be fun.  This would need to be all hands so we could showcase our offerings.  I like the no charge for WWII players.  Can that field cater to vehicles?

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 6
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2015,16:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have helped run a couple of events at Airsoft Extreme; it's a fun field but pretty small by our standards (15 acres).
There is an urban area that's been built up with plywood structures and blue barrels, an area built up with just barrels and a densely wood hill that takes up 2/3 of the field that has trails running up and across it. There is also a ravine, some more woods and a plywood bunker on top of the hill.
We could run an event here that was WWII themed but I would not expect there to be a lot of people outside of our group that would show up with anything close to a proper impression.

If we were to play there we'd probably want to suggest some uniform restrictions (grey/brown vs. greenish brown)  and have WWII themed missions similar to what we usually do.

Due to the gigantic hill previously mentioned this is not a field that will accommodate armour or vehicles other then an ATVs.  

I'd also like to suggest that we add this to this season as a bonus event and not skip either of our other summer events (especially McCoy).

p.s. Aldrich, your new avatar pic is awesome.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2015,17:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do like the idea of having the WWII players on one team, like we possibly planned to do with the "Battle for Berlin" event.  I do think we should stick to the WWII themed event, though, since that is what we were asked to do.  I also think it will help draw in people interested in WWII who are on the lookout for WWII events.  I think we focus on creating a great WWII event atmosphere with good gameplay.  We should create an immersive experience like that of the public blankfire events.  Like the public blankfire events we should set up great scenes or things that players will look at and think "wow!".  Bringing the mg42 and setting up a mg nest at a chokepoint, or having a period encampment, and use these things to coordinate a great thematic event.  If we can create a good WWII atmosphere, then hopefully we can draw in players who like a WWII atmosphere and are looking for more.  I also do think that with the probable numbers we are going to have to allow modern players on our team.  Therefore focusing on creating an event around these scenes can help with the modern to WWII player ratio by having the WWII players have a distinct role apart from the modern players. (Manning the mg nest or vehicles, etc.) 

As far as vehicles go I am not sure how compatible the field is.  Rekkon is probably our best bet to figure this out as he may have been to the field before.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2015,17:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the eastern US guys have a good approach with their event here:  http://ww2aa.proboards.com/thread/11400/operation-wwii-event-30th-31st?page=2&scrollTo=133864

--------------
 Post Number: 9
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2015,19:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Aldrich @ May 19 2015,17:13)
As far as vehicles go I am not sure how compatible the field is.  Rekkon is probably our best bet to figure this out as he may have been to the field before.

Been to field four times.
Definitely not vehicle friendly.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2015,11:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Aldrich @ May 19 2015,17:13)

You live closer to the field than I do.  :p

I have never been there, but from what I know, it does not particularly interest me.  If we were to do another themed event, I feel it would be better to host it at Big Lake where we have space, buildings and vehicle support.  I would just as soon not see D-Day done yet again as well.
12 replies since May 18 2015,16:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply WWII Event at Airsoft Extreme
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code