Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Shoe Mine" Desgin< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2016,17:06  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After having a "lightbulb" moment, I built a prototype for a cheap and simple shoe-mine.  As it is the prototype, I spared just about every expense, so i doesn't look like much at the moment, but it is enough to prove that the design works. I tested it by burying it in the ground with just the top exposed, and sprinkled dirt over that so just the hole was uncovered. Even with that the horn could clearly be heard. I used the smallest horn I could find at a local Walmart. It has just enough air for one long use. A larger horn would last longer and be louder, but the box would need to be taller to accommodate the height of the horn. On a final version, I would make it a bit wider so a larger hole could be drilled to allow noise to escape (perhaps as large as and inch or 1.5"), I would add a hinge to the side opposite the horn for the lid, and on the other three sides of the lid I would add sides using a thin pressboard or plywood to keep dirt from getting between the lid and the box. And of course paint it a OD green.

Pics:  

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2016,11:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  I presume a "final" design would be only as wide as the horn compartment?  Otherwise, that is an impractically large hole to dig for any significant number of mines.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2016,16:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They could be made like that.  I made the box longer as I based it off the Russian PMD mine.  The concept could be made to fit any wide range of shapes and sizes.  The increased size does give it the benefit of having a larger surface area on which to potentially step.  To test it I dug a hole out back, and it didn't take a while lot of time.  The size of the hole was as deep as the metal spade on my E tool and as wide, and the length was twice the width of the spade.  But this can be changed.  With a more formal spade it would be quite easy to dig holes for something of this size.  

Russian PMD:  

The nice thing I just found out about the PMD is that the hinge on the back is simply two small nails hammered in on either side.  Another possible idea for a mine could be to make a square box the size of the chamber for the horn, and then make a "cap" that can be pressed down onto the horn.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2016,16:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! I really like the fact that it's a Russian mine and therefore can only be used against Germans! The prototype looked solid enough to have a light vehicle drive over it and the horn might be load enough for even a Ba-64 driver to hear.
 Post Number: 5
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2016,22:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a nice idea.  It does infringe quite a bit on Rekkon's pioneering duties but since he commented, it doesn't appear he is too bothered by your efforts.  

I think Ryan is right though, about the size.  You want to make them compact so they are easier to plant.  You also want to make four to six of them for our games and they could be utilized by the defensive team in some but not all of the games.  Somebody has to haul these things to games also so you really can't make too many.  

I think hearing the air horn sound off during a game would be a neat moment.  Heck, I wouldn't mind stepping on one.  I think it would be a cool way to exit.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 6
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2016,23:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aye, as noted, the problem is not digging one hole.  It is digging six or ten or twelve.  Not only does that take time and effort, but the more dirt you disturb, the easier it is to notice the mine.  I frequently plant a dozen or more for my local Vietnam-themed game and allocate an hour or so to do so.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2016,12:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a possible idea for a smaller mine using this concept:  having the horn in the corner should allow for a larger chamber and larger hole for the noise to escape.  

--------------
 Post Number: 8
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2016,20:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rekkon @ Oct. 17 2016,23:31)
Aye, as noted, the problem is not digging one hole.  It is digging six or ten or twelve.  Not only does that take time and effort, but the more dirt you disturb, the easier it is to notice the mine.  I frequently plant a dozen or more for my local Vietnam-themed game and allocate an hour or so to do so.

An hour to dig twelve holes... that's crazy good.  You're going to be super good at yard work down the road.

Aldrich - When can we expect completion of four to six of these babies?

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2016,21:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I plan on attempting to make another prototype of the smaller version this weekend.  I could easily have the design completed and a batch made for the events next spring, as I can't imagine there will be much need for mines now with winter events and frozen ground approaching.

--------------
8 replies since Oct. 15 2016,17:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Shoe Mine" Desgin
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code