Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MP40 Upgrades, Helpful tips for upgrading MP40s< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Garrick_Udet Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2008,18:09  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to be purchasing an MP40 for the April event.  As I am admittedly a newb at airsoft, I thought I'd start a thread related to common upgrades and experiences for MP40s.

Udo has advised me to purchase the same model that he's acquired so I'm good on the base model.

What I'm more interested in are:
-Batteries and Chargers
-Gearbox upgrades
-Springs (is this an upgradeable part in an AEG?)

Aside from the K98 it seems like the MP40 is our most common gun.  So there's probably a lot to be said here that hasn't as of yet.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2008,20:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The AGM MP-40 is an easy gun to upgrade.  Anything you can do with a version 3 gearbox can be done to it.  The easy way to increase ROF is with a 9.6V battery instead of the stock 8.4 Volt batteries.  Get some better aftermarket batteries whatever you do before a skirmish.  The stock battery is underwhelming.  I wouldn't put more than a 120 spring in the gun.  It is supposed to have less power.  That is a tradeoff that comes back to you in battery life and ROF.  The only thing that I haven't heard of is the upgrade nozzle for this gun.  No one seems to know what will work so for now the owners are stuck with stock nozzles.  Upgrading to a tightbore and upgrading the hop-up are trickier too.  Check out the WW2AA boards for lots of info on this model MP-40.

For those that have $$ burning a hole in their pocket and don't know what they are doing I recommend sending the gun to Josh at Airsoftcorner.com.  He is very fair and will have the gun working super for you.  Just tell him what you want in terms of FPS and ROF.  BTW, the 8.4V battery makes the gun work at its historical ROF which is about 500 RPM.

For those with lots of money, Josh can trick out a TOP MP-40 with the PGC Gearbox for a bit over $1,000.  Depends if you supply the TOP or not.  If he supplies the TOP it would be closer t $1,500 don't listen to me but rather, check with him for a quote.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 3
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2008,20:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info.  I had thought about posting on the WW2aa boards but I know the crowd here is smart enough to know the limitations of their knowledge.

As Socrates said, "Wisest is he who knows he does not know."

I have decided to go with the AGM MP40 vs. the TOP due to the fact that if I'm going to plunk down that kind of $$ I'm going to buy an Ersatzjack K98!

This is my first Airsoft gun after all, and if I decide to go with a more expensive one later, then at least I'll have a cheap backup/loaner.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2008,20:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would actually recommend keeping the gun stock, and just using an 8.4v.

9.6 will make the ROF too high and internal upgrades will make it's ballistic characteristics too much like the MG's and rifles.

The gun in its stock form is fantastic and I've had no problems holding my own at modern games.  

When you're looking for batteries, for any gun in general, I highly recommend buying Intellect brand cells.  They're the highest quality and very responsive to charging/discharging even on "fast" chargers.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2008,20:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you Karl!  As far as ROF is concerned, I don't really care too much.  In the October Skirmish, I spent much of the day triggering on semi-auto.  As I was not carrying a speed loader on me I was very ammo-conscious.  My only concern about keeping the gun stock is fps.  Udo has been unable to chrono his in over 300fps.  

I think the sweet spot for me would be someplace between 350 and 375.  Based on my paintball experience, pushing fps limits is a pain (in more ways than one depending on which end of the gun you're on).  I realize that with AEG's you don't have to worry about the laws of thermodynamics causing inconsistencies in fps, but I would favor reliability over maximum performance 8 days a week.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2008,08:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The main thing is to get 3 to 6 spare mags along with your AGM MP40, so you feel free to use it as intended.  Jason at Airsoft BattleZone, my connection for my airsoft addiction, says that the number one failing he sees on the AGMs is a bent or broken spring guide which prevents the gun from cycling.  I love mine just as it is right out of the box and have used it for numerous events myself, as well as a loaner gun.  Cheap and reliable.  The only thing I've ever had to deal with is that my gearbox has a tendency to stiffen up in cold weather - a few minutes warming the piston area of the gearbox with a bare hand seems to do the trick.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2008,09:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As for the AGM MP 40, I am glad I went with ordering one from Wisconsin Airsoft Wars. It sounds like an upgrade is not necessary at first, but easily done, I could be wrong. I should be picking mine up at the end of the week. I was also going to see what upgrade offers WIAW has as well when I am there. Still not sure.. turning up the fps, does this cause significant accuracy lose and wear on the weapon?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2008,10:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you could put a M100 spring in for a little boost in FPS and not suffer at all.  The M120 spring would bring you to the aforementioned 350-370 FPS but I wouldn't use that spring without adding strength upgrades to the gearbox.  I forgot about the spring guide (that Grypon mentioned) but that is an important part to make metal and also to have a bearing in the bottom of it to prevent the spring from twisting in the gearbox.  I guess we could post everything here twice, but as I said if you search the WW2AA site for MP-40 upgrades you will find all you need to satisfy your upgrade desires.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 9
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2008,21:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I'll did on mine and got around 355fps and acuracy a bit better than stock(checked at last event):
170%PDI spring(eq. M110 but gives less presure on sertain int parts)
metal spring guide(I only had without bearings in my junk-works fine on mine)
new piston(I got Sistema, but stock my work also. didn't check)
  if you deside to change piston head than change cillinder with head also, because stock mp40 cillinder is bit biger      
  than  usual size so will increase air leakage between parts.
remove fire selector from the outside of gun and inside of gear box and patch the hole after that(I still didn't patch it on mine yet)
About battery stock one is crap and will die soon(say you just charge it 2 hours ago and it doesn't want to run your gun already). As I said I have 170%PDI(= M110) and 8.4 NiMh and rate of fire is around 600rpm. Close to real and good enough for skirmish. 9.6 will give you around 800rpm what is more convenient but much less realistic. Another option is 7.2v LiPo they are the best. I need to get one for myself. 7.2v LiPo equils 8.4v NiMh or  
8.4v NiCd. Only thing you need special charger. I've seen good one on E-bay around $50(universal for any 7.2v to 12v NiCd, NiMh, Li-Ion and LiPo). But chipest one you can get for about $20. I'll recomend pay a little more but get good charger  so you wont burn off any batteryes during charging process.
P.S. chipest mags I've seen on airsplat.com $5 each.

Post Number: 10
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 29 2008,11:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! Just received my first Airsoft Gun, AGM MP 40! Came in the mail today.
First thing I will order an 8.4v after market battery and a new charger. I suspect Airsoft Battle Zone has or can order either one.
Only problem was the folding stock shoulder rest. I had to shorten the two inner springs so it can actually fold. Works good now.
Can not wait to try it out!
thank you for the advice everyone

--------------
62 replies since Feb. 26 2008,18:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MP40 Upgrades
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code