Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sonic Grenade Sound Off< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,11:22  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, I have gotten a parts list from the guy that put together the sonic grenade I had at Baltic Summer.  Assuming a batch run of say, 50, all the components add up to about $10 a sonic unit.  With labor, I am going to give an initial estimate of $20 a unit.  This is just for the sonic internals.  If you want it in a grenade, that will be an additional $10 unless you provide the grenade.

Now, this is an estimate intitial price.  I can almost certainly get the components cheaper with my employee discount, but the board price is iffier (currently estimated at $5 a board).  I plan to make another run of foam stick grenades,but need to find a place to procure the plastic tubing first.

So, all this brings me to the question of who would be interested in sonic grenades and/or sonic internal units and how many.  I will probably be posting this on the WW2AA forum as well to sound out interest.  I stress again that this is an estimate price, and it may be several months before I commence production.  Material costs for a run of 50 is about $500, so I would want to be sure there is a market before I buy everything.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Shady Cadence Search for posts by this member.
Grenadier

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,11:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At $30 ea. I could do at least two, possibly three.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Garrick_Udet Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,13:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I said on the other board, I'm game!

I would like 3 sonic rigs.  One for the grenade I have, and 2 for 2 as yet to be built grenades.  Wolfgang, I know you're trying to find the tubing for the handles, if you do, I'd like you to build me 2 more grenades.

Also, I owe you for the grenade I lost on Saturday.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,13:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What grenade?  Gryphon gave me one that was recovered from the ABZ field, which I gave to either you or Wellnitz.  If I gave it to you, I considered it your replacement.
 Post Number: 5
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,15:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome work on the grenade!  I think it worked really well.  Did it have the recall ping built into it?

I think that price is reasonable, but if I'm going to be spending the money on grenades I'd probably prefer to have them in a better quality replica (like the plastic one from your prototype) than a foam version.  I know that would cost more, but I'd prefer to have something more durable and authentic with sonic guts over a foam deal.  If it would be easier to provide you with the same type of grenade could I just sent them to you?
 Post Number: 6
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,15:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The prototype did have the recall beep, but like the delay, it seemed a bit inconsistent when I was messing around with it before.  Generally I was not leaving the pin out long enough for it to 'kick in.'

Perfectly understandable on the replicas.  It would be easiest for you to buy your own and just get sonic internals from me.  If you get a plastic grenade like I had for the prototype, the current sonic unit just slides into the head, no hot glue necessary.
 Post Number: 7
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,20:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I'll take four.  But I'd like to see a watch battery replace the 9-V beast and then foam contructed grenade which doesn't require painted tape but the correct colored duck tape already applied.  Check Fastenal for tape.  Green for the grenade head and tan for the handles.  This way they stay nice looking.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 8
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,20:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We could really open up the authenticity and  weight of grenades if we started requiring steel pots during battles (like at reenactments).  Again, the foam grenades are cool, but a heavier object could be cool too.
 Post Number: 9
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,20:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will most certainly look into the colored tape.  That would greatly simplify construction, and make the color more durable since the paint has a tendancy to rub off in places and expose the brightly colored plastic handle.  The 9 volt is absolutely getting replaced with a button battery on the circuit board.  Not only does it add too much weight, the wires are a major weak point, as Shady demonstrated.

While heavier repros look better, I am completely in favor of only using foamies for actual gameplay.  You cannot throw them very far, which in my opinion fits in perfectly with general range compression in airsoft.  If we had real steel grenade weight, we could wing the suckers as far as our MP40s fire dang near.

Thus far I have a count of around 20 sonic units to interested parties, including plenty to myself.  Either way I plan to crank out another batch of stick grenades, and if I partner with Wellnitz, we can offer sonic egg grenades as well.  I imagine by the time I get my new apartment organized enough to be in state where I can start production, the design will be finalized and enough interest will have been posted to justify a run of 50.  I do not have a timeframe on this, but it will be on the order of months most likely.

Photos and stuff I posted on the WW2AA thread:

A shot of all the components.  The next prototype will not be powered by a 9 volt.  The wires were a definite weak point in a design that had to withstand being thrown, and the battery added too much weight.  The next one will be powered by probably a button cell on the board.  The 'pin' is a jack like that on headphones.

Different angle.  My cell phone camera sucks.

A shot of the unit sitting inside the plastic replica grenade head.  The wire on the jack 'pin' runs down through the handle so you can take off the bottom cap and pull the arming pin.
 Post Number: 10
Shady Cadence Search for posts by this member.
Grenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,20:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think adding weight would be a problem, it's hard edges that cause injuries. (Remember: The skinny guy says all bones are "funny".) :D
If you used a denser (smaller cell) foam, that could up the weight without compromising safety.  Something closer to Nerf foam. :)

And for the handles, keep your eyes peeled for a light-colored wood grain contact paper, like shelf paper

Speaking of Nerf, has anyone ever considered contacting them?  Considering the sonic development, combined with the growing market of people begging for a "safe" grenade to huck at each other, I think this could turn into a monster...Just a thought. ???

--------------
18 replies since Aug. 18 2008,11:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sonic Grenade Sound Off
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code