Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sonic Grenade Sound Off< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,20:56  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The idea of a poured, stiffer (dense) foam grenade is a good one.  I think the argument for lighter grenades compensating for airsoft ranges is pretty sound; Reckon swayed me.  

You've shown us all the light with your current grenades.  Think of how you could pimp them out even more.

Think of a poured product that could also better compensate for the battery compartment, etc.  You could base it off the plastic prototype you already have, pour them, stain/paint them, assemble the innards and sell them for $40-60 a pop and make some honest cash.

Edited by Udo_Schaaf on Aug. 18 2008,20:59
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 12
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,21:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not overly concerned with profit.  Some was built into my estimate to cover mistakes and compensate me a bit for construction time.  There was some talk of Gryphon pouring foam grenades back before Porkhov.  The current stick grenade and Russian grenade design were sort of stop gaps as I recall.  Casting molds and pouring foam is a somewhat more elaborate undertaking than I want to, uh, undertake at this point.  Though I would happily supply sonic internals to Gryphon if anything happened on his end.
 Post Number: 13
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,21:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That seems like a better long term option.  Perhaps it wouldn't be bad to have a few more of the prototype grenades too in order to improve the board design further (if necessary...call it QA) before going nuts.

Todd, do you have the bandwidth for some grenade molds?

Edited by Udo_Schaaf on Aug. 18 2008,21:20
 Post Number: 14
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2008,21:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The state of my new apartment is a very good check on 'going nuts' for the moment. I also would not want to start a large production run of the internals until I am satisfied the design is good and stable. That might require a few more cycles with the guy at work, which could mean weeks since this is by no means a top priority for the company. :)
 Post Number: 15
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2008,12:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sonics are very cool so far, Rekkon, great job!  My only quibble is that I think that they would call attention to themselves better in a firefight situation if they were louder.  Most of this has to do with how and where the speaker is mounted, but my feeling is that there is almost no such thing as too loud for these little babies.  I am willing to do the molds and the foam sonic grenade housings, but probably won't be able to tackle the project before November or so.

Next step:  the sonic 50mm foam mortar round....

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2008,12:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sonic units will be a little lounder if they are not fully encased in a plastic replica as the first prototype was. I would like them to be a little louder, but the design guy said that was as loud as we could get with the parts Digikey stocks.

As for 'sonic' 50mm mortar rounds, I still want to put in an order to that UK place for NERF pocket howlers, the small ones with built in whistles. I think they would be ideal for mortar rounds.
 Post Number: 17
Garrick_Udet Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2008,12:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to throw the thread too off topic, but the Mortar design now in the works is going to be using Tennis Balls as ammo, however I will try to make the valve adapter to the barrel modular so that we could attach the air system and expansion chamber to any size pipe we wanted.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2008,13:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The reason Gryphon mentioned 50mm mortar is because I believe they have one already built.  Mortars, they're fun just so long as they are not overused.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 19
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2008,16:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to have an couple of the whistling Nerf Pocket Howlers - they are fabulous for indirect fire, highly dramatic but no longer marketed in the US.  I'd love to have a whole pouchful for use as mortar rounds.  How much would a case of them cost if shipped in from the UK?  They used to run around $2 apiece in the US.

--------------
18 replies since Aug. 18 2008,11:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sonic Grenade Sound Off
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code