» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 6<<123456>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pak38< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2007,19:49  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...aah. Are we guys gonna use water balons on february game? The weather 'll make them armorpirsing so it would be last game for russian armor.(((hopefully they have spare

Post Number: 12
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2007,21:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No plans to use water balloons in the cold.  I want to try nerf rockets for vehicles and dry goods (peas, corn) for anti-personnel.  Also, I want to see if I can find a good smoke round so that we can use it to lay a smoke screen.  It isn't a Pak40 but a Pak38 because the bore is 2-inches in diameter or roughly 50mm.  I want to do something to the wheels to make it look more like an AT gun and less like a howitzer piece.  When I have time I also want to lower the frontal armor a bit for better protection.  The problem is that it is now winter and the only place I can really work on this is in a cold garage so those adaptations might have to wait for warmer weather.  Right now, I just want to get it working so we can fire it a few (possibly many) times.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 13
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2007,00:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wheels for PAK guns were taken from howitzers, so if you see a similarity, it's good!

We need to work on the muzzle brake however, as it should be a little larger and have the gas channels cut in it.

Here are some PAK38 pics I got out of one of my books:

--------------
 Post Number: 14
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2008,20:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First off, reply to Neoptolemus - my brother got a gift during Christmas from his wife.  It's a handbook on the German Military that was written by U.S. War Dept. in 1945.  It is a comprehensive study of everything about them.  Anyways, Mike figured out the muzzlebreak from pictures in that book.  Thanks for your help.  Mike will post pics when he gets his scanner up and working.

On another note, I drove northwest today to pay my brother a visit and while there acquainted myself with the pak38.  We fired some water balloons from it and then switched to what I thought was a much more effective munition.  That is, pocket nerf vortex footballs.  They zoomed out of the barrel and across the street and up a wooded hillside.  The accuracy was very very good and you are hard pressed to follow them with your eye.  Another benefit is the rate of fire with these things.  Water balloons would be slow and require lots of prep.  The nerfs can fire almost as quick as the compressor fills.  Rate of fire on these might be 5-8 per minute.  We just went on line and ordered 10 howlers.  What's a howler, you ask?  It's a nerf vortex football that screams thru the air because of some whistle insert that they utilize.  We'll have them for February and don't crap if it sounds like there is real artillery firing out in the woods.  Sssshhhh, don't tell the Russians until we fire the first howler at them.  Tee-hee.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 15
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2008,14:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds cool.
Did you guys figured with air tank installed at gun, or it would be compressor for now?
May be there is chance to make whole artillery shells with cartridge(piece of pipe with little air tank enough for few shots without air refill) and ectual  
bullet(nerf ball)? Then it would be extremally cool and realistic!

Post Number: 16
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2008,14:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right now the gun works best off the compressor.  Sometimes there will be compressor noise but certainly not always.  We're going to try a portable tank that would get filled at the compressor and then the gun could fire twice only, maybe three times.  Still, the gun would be able to move with that rig.  It could also free itself from an electrical source.  Not the best though when you're limited to just the two or three shots.  If we got two portable tanks, you could double it in the field.  Our property on Crawford Lake is just raw land now and that's how we'd handle it over there.  Same for Neillsville.  Then, we'd have to refill from a compressor.

I sure like your idea of a selfcontained round.  Get to work on that. :)   I think you'd almost have to have some engineering training to tackle that one.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 17
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2008,16:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it possibile maybe to hide compressor to ammunition wood box(spare rounds box)?
so you move gun, bring "spare rounds" thats all you need!

Post Number: 18
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2008,17:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ULRICH_VON_OFFENBERG @ Jan. 04 2008,16:04)
Is it possibile maybe to hide compressor to ammunition wood box(spare rounds box)?
so you move gun, bring "spare rounds" thats all you need!

Yeah, that's a solution.  Another solution is to use a long air hose.  Hide the compressor in a building.  That's what we'll do at Nashville in February.  Something else that one can look into is to run it off of CO2 from a scuba tank.  That's how biged runs his mortar out in NY.
You seem to get a lot of shots from a tank.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 19
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2008,00:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Another solution is to use a long air hose. Hide the compressor in a building"
Yeah, but canon is going to loose mobility  completely!
I think if you put scuba tank into ammo box and would be able to make few shots by connecting air hose to the gun that would be peak of realism.
Once you out of air you bring another ammo box and make few more shots.
and over again...

Post Number: 20
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2008,03:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ULRICH_VON_OFFENBERG @ Jan. 05 2008,00:16)
"Another solution is to use a long air hose. Hide the compressor in a building"
Yeah, but canon is going to loose mobility  completely!
I think if you put scuba tank into ammo box and would be able to make few shots by connecting air hose to the gun that would be peak of realism.
Once you out of air you bring another ammo box and make few more shots.
and over again...

There is one other consideration.  You really don't want to have a piece of artillery firing non-stop throughout an event.  A bit of firing is fine and adds to the fun but my experience is that nothing is as competitive as a pb hit.  Out in NY, biged used his mortar to 1) launch some smoke rounds preparatory to an Allied ground attack, and then showered us with some tennis balls in a barrage.  This was fine but he didn't make these last too long.  Frankly, you really have a little trouble knowing when to "die" from a tennis ball barrage and you get a little tired of trying to figure it out.  The AT-gun could fire smoke too, be used to take out the other sides artillery and tanks and should be fired a few times at infantry just so they experience coming under fire and then boys, it's time to grab the small arms and finish the job.  That is in my opinion a great way to keep the opposing team from becomming sick of the contribution the artillery makes to a game.  I'm not just inventing this line of reasoning either.  I heard more than a few complaints from our side about biged's mortar and they boiled down to "how long is this barrage gonna last?" and "I really doubt we'd be pressing an attack against a mortar without adequate artillery support of our own."  I didn't feel that way.  I liked the mortar but I did see that there is a limit to how often they should play a part.  You'll see what I mean in February, I think.

--------------

59 replies since Dec. 15 2007,18:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 6<<123456>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pak38
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code