Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MP-3008, Last Ditch SMG< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2011,17:06  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is the inspiration:

The Sten,

The variant,

and for a little more background on this look here to start.

http://en.valka.cz/viewtop....73

I have been wanting an answer to Andre's Sten for awhile now. I don't like it when the Germans don't get something the Allies have.  :;):   Sooooo...

I had purchased a Sten awhile back thinking I was going to use if for a custom build but not this one.  That project languished and lo and behold I saw information regarding the Germans adapting the Sten at the end of the war.  Reading the reference info thoroughly, you'll learn that the Germans actually made a exact copy of the Sten as well, and likely this was for commando operations but I viewed that as too easy.

So I give you the MP-3008, a last-ditch SMG with wood stock and with ejection on the right side of the gun.  I think I would have built the pistol grip version (pictured pictured as the Blohm and Voss version in the aforementioned link) but had already started this build before I saw that one which also looks neat.

I plan to use this one for Battle of Berlin game or even maybe late 44 - early 45 games in the Slavic countries.   :)

The AGM sten is a great gun and is all steel except for the hop-up area which is aluminum or pot metal as that has all the machining.  My challenge now is to find a decent sling but I want one that looks ad hoc.  The finished piece is solid and I am looking forward to its baptism of fire.  Oh, one thing that the production Sten will have that I don't.  In turning the hop to feed from the bottom, I had to go without it.  So a few more FPS initially but no spin.  This will be for close-up assaults the likes of which are Battle of Berlin hallmarks.  Other changes include the front sight, the front sling attachment, and of course the stock.  A pretty simple conversion and the ergonomics are vastly improved but then I like wood stocks.

Oh and last thing  -  there is actual WWII era metal used in construction.  The steel strips used as butt plate material is from scraps I saved off of Mauser rear sights used in my airsoft conversions.  I think that is kinda neat.  Hope you all like it.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Alban Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2011,22:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks great as always Otto! I would like to get some pictures of that in the village at Troys field to really give it that late war feel as the Red Army closes in on Berlin ha-ha.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2011,22:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love it! Simply amazing! By the later stages in the war leather was a rare commodity and was pressed hard into use due to its popularity in German equipment.  I've even seen rope Y straps on Hitler Youth Volksturm.  So I would lean away from that in a sling.  Great, great gun  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2011,00:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I figured out what I will use as a sling.  I'm using the long part of the gas mask can strap.  I figure that at the end of the war when those cans were getting discarded a strap or two could be found lying around.  Plus they are thinner and that is needed to clear the front sling bracket.

Here it is applied.

The leather keeper at the bottom of the sling was lost at some event and no one claimed it.  I think it was from something hatched at a Russian sewing party but now has gone on to better duty after slight modification.  Nice stitching work.

Thanks for the nice remarks team.  This one will make a good loaner gun too.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 5
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2011,10:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's pretty awesome Mike.
Does the stock attach the same was as the "stock" stock?

I'd like to get a wood stock for mine at some point and I'll probably borrow some of your design.

Are you running a lipo in that or do you have the stick battery in the stock?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2011,13:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Andre.  The stock attaches exactly the same as the tube stock since it uses the same end which was cannibalized from the original AGM.

It uses the same stick battery.  Space is at a premium.  I suppose you could build it though to house a li-poly if you routered out the two sides of the stock (it was two pieces of wood glued together) beforehand.  Then you'd want an opening at the back of the stock and would have to figure out what cover you wanted to use.

If you want a stock, you could look at doing the Mk V Sten.  That had a stock.  IMA I think still sells the foregrip and you'd have to change the look of the receiver (lengthen it some) or not.  Your taste.  Good luck with that project.  If you pulled it off, it would be a great conversion.  We can discuss it more at next event.

--------------

Post Number: 7
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2011,18:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice Work!
That would make a handy little SMG for armored car crews.
 Post Number: 8
Hunter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2016,07:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I realize this is an old thread, but first off fantastic build. It looks great.
My question is, how did you rotate the magwell on the sten to point downwards? I'm working on a Breda 30 and thats my biggest hurdle is how to rotate the magwell so that the mags can feed in through the right side.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 9
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2016,23:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be honest I don't recall the exact method.  I do know that after I did it I couldn't have a hop-up.  I must have twisted it 90-degrees and then fixed it in its new position.  As you say, the thread is old and so am I.  Haha.  You'll figure out your problem if you sleep on it.  I hope you share your finished results on our boards when finished.

--------------

Post Number: 10
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2016,11:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do wonder if you could replace the hop unit with something from another bottom-feed weapon, like the MP40.  You might have problems with adjustment access, but it would be substantially better than no hop at all.
9 replies since Aug. 28 2011,17:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MP-3008
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code