Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Luftwaffe Field Division< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2012,00:25  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it seems like I have come down with a case of field-blue, and by that I mean Luftwaffe.  I have always been fascinated by the whole concept of the Luftwaffe Field Division.  Maybe it's the uniform.  I finally couldn't help myself and I bought a tan and water LFD camo smock.  It's definitely not going to be my main impression,  but more or less an occasional fun changeup uniform or even rental if need be.  In the end I hope to represent a Luftwaffe soldier/flak crewman after the army assumed control over the Luftwaffe Field Divisions.

A brief history of the Luftwaffe Field Divisions on the eastern front:  The original concept of the Luftwaffe Field Division was born from the idea that catastrophic losses on the eastern front could be replaced by using surplus forces from the various other branches of the military.  Goering hated this idea because his Luftwaffe was as much an air force as it was his own private army.  Only if the troops remained under his command would he allow them to fight.  Thus the first Luftwaffe Field Divisions were born.  This, however, proved to be catastrophic.  The troops were made up of inept ground crews and mechanics.  Even officers were ex-Luftwaffe.  Although supplied with new gear and camo smocks, they still were wore their iconic feldblau uniforms.  This proved to be their biggest downfall, as the Russians quickly learned just how little the "blue men" knew how to fight.  Nearly every Luftwaffe Field Division that fought against the Russians was completely annihilated, most in a matter of days.  Realizing that these divisions were useless, the army finally assumed control.  Although in France the units remained intact as divisions.  On the eastern front they absorbed what was left of the units and by mid 1944 all were disbanded.  The remaining men were sent off as reinforcements to other divisions being reformed before being sent to the front.

Effective fighters? No.  But everyone likes the underdog right?  :D

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2012,01:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should be fun to see the completed impression.  Bring the smock to McCoy so we can see it or post a pic if you don't mind.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 3
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2012,13:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

btw, Mike and I followed Alban's and Paul's urges to put together the Mediterranean impression and I have my pants on the way from Hessian.  We both have the tropical caps too.  You may want to consider that as your alternate impression since Mike, I, Paul, and Alban can now do it.  The 3rd Panzergrenadiers were in Italy for quite a bit of the Italian campaign.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2012,16:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what I was aiming for when I bought my HBT tunic.  It is nice and versatile so as to fit into the Russian and Italian fronts.  I do aim to someday get an Afrika Korps hat, possibly tunic, but that will come in time.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Wilhelm Torgersen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2012,01:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm using Luftwaffe gamaschen

--------------
"All wars are civil because all men are brothers"
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2012,11:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you have a Luftwaffe impression? Or are you using them for your Heer impression?

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2012,17:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is just a quick look at the LFD smock that I ordered.  The rest of the uniform right now is just stand in for the sake of the photo.  The shoulderboards came with and are red for flak gunners which I will change.  It came faded which I really like as it gives it a "used" look without actually wearing down the fabric.  

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2012,19:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a nice garment.  I think we are losing you.  First Russian attire and now Luftwaffe.  Hmmm???   :)

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 9
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2012,20:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks good Aldrich, especially the stern "German" stare. Are the boots from Fleet Farm, and what brand? I think my converted low boots are the same as yours in the pic.
The smock, as you said, has a nice faded appearance. I bet over time it will look almost blank, like so many period photos of well worn camo smocks.
Keep us posted as this progresses, and btw your Soviet uniform is looking great as well. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2012,21:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!  :)  I still have a ways to go, but I hope to have this as my "display"  uniform for public events.  Or a fun alternate for some airsofting events.  My boots are fieldn-forest boots from fleet farm.  I liked their simple look and I hope to attempt to convert them into some "faux"-boots.  But that is a future project.

--------------
13 replies since Jul. 06 2012,00:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Luftwaffe Field Division
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code