Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Armata Italiana in Russia (ARMIR)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2016,21:00  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a few years of collecting I have finally gotten my Italian uniform to a field-able point.  The Italians sent an expeditionary force to southern Russia during 1941-1943.  They operated in the southern sector until they were effectively destroyed outside Stalingrad during the massive Russian counterattack and were finally disbanded in Feb. 1943.  

The uniform I have is based on the blackshirt battalions fighting in Russia.  The Italian army had, earlier in the century, reduced its divisions from the common standard of three battalions, to just two.  While this allowed them to use the spare battalions to form new much needed divisions, it also meant that in Africa Italian divisions were outnumbered on the battlefield and easily outflanked.  Blackshirt units in Russia were used as a stopgap measure, by which blackshirt battalions could be attached to units on an as needed basis to increase their size to the full three battalions.  When the division was no longer in combat, the blackshirts would be placed back on reserve.  Their uniform had elements based upon the Italian special forces of WWI, such as the black shirts, the fez, and the fighting knife.  However, while many of the blackshirt units in Russia were augmented by combat veterans, they were hardly as skilled as their WWI contemporaries.

Here is my impression so far:

(Note:  the gun is an actual Carcano, I plan on using my airsoft VZ-24 for a gun with this impression.)

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2016,07:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking sharp.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2016,22:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice job so far.  I'm thinking German high command will likely place you in the path of strong Soviet forces just as was done historically to buy time for other Axis forces (us).  In essence allowing you a quick and honorable end and saving you from the rigors of cold weather, shortages of food and munitions and likely imprisonment in Siberia.  Maybe a Berretta Modello 38 would be a good airsoft gun for this impression too.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2016,23:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, seeing how the Italians fared at Stalingrad, I don't think I would be saved from the freeing cold anytime soon.   :)   My helmet came today.  I ordered it from a guy who does restorations and while the liner is great, the paint was a bit too bright and the chinstrap will need to be replaced.  Luckily, I already have a Italian chinstrap from an earlier project and I was able to darken the paint from a very bright green to the color below.  Here is the helmet:  the crest is the one used by the blackshirts.  Each type of unit had specific crests that designated it as infantry, mountain troops, blackshirts, etc.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2016,22:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a nice shot of the Italian reenactors, some of whom are also starting up an airsoft group, at the Rockford WWII reenactment during the eastern front battle.  Me and the two standing were portraying the 63 Legione Tagliamento, while the ones with the white pouches and green tabs are portraying an Alpini ski unit the "Monte Cervino".  Both units served on the Eastern front during WWII.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2016,20:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That photo is awesome.
In so many ways.  :cool:

Thank you for sharing.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2016,21:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2017,21:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Though no impression is truly ever complete, this one is just about there:  Italian soldier, southern Russia 1941-42.

Summer:

Winter:

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2017,14:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looks darn nice.  I think you'd fit right in at any Axis/Allies game.  Neat the way you photo'd yourself with the white background and blue highlights.  Just like you were taken from a book.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
8 replies since Sep. 10 2016,21:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Armata Italiana in Russia (ARMIR)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code