Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Udo's recommended German kit< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2008,10:39  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While the equipment requirements on our website gives the high level requirements for a German impression, I thought it would be helpful if we also posted our recommended kits for new players, including the vendors where certain items can be purchased.  

Bear in mind, this is not an "official" list, but merely my opinion on what constitutes a good impression.  I'll be adding to this post as time allows.

Helmet

The German Stahlhelm is an absolutely critical part of your impression.  There were three "models" of helmets that were used during the war: the M35, M40 and M42.  Any of these models are acceptable but all should be painted in textured mid-to-late war "field gray" paint (as opposed to early war "apple green"), with no decals.    

I prefer to keep my helmet unmodified and without a helmet cover or chicken wire.  This is what the vast majority of soldiers used...unmodified bare helmets.

You may either purchase a restored helmet that consists of an original repainted shell with a reproduction liner, or you may purchase a 100% reproduction helmet.  I have a strong preference towards original shells that have been restored.  The reproduction helmets I have scene are too heavy and often have some manufacturing flaws not found in original helmets.  Original shells will also appreciate in value over time, whereas a reproduction helmet will not.  However, the cost difference is significant as an original helmet will cost $250-$350, whereas reproductions can be had for under $100.

For restored helmets I highly recommend Ken's work at German Helmet's Inc

Not only does he do top notch work, but he is FAST.  I got my coveted M42 from him and couldn't be happier.

Field Blouse

The field blouse or "Feldbluse" is another critical part of your impression that defines the look of a German Soldat.  There were actually many variations of tunics issued during the war, but the most common "models" that I recommend are classified by collectors as the "M40" and "M43."  These should be purchased with a breast eagle, shoulder boards with white piping, and generic collar tabs (early or late war).  The jacket should be fitted in nature and somewhat shorter in the sleeve than an American business suit.  Some tailoring of the garment might be required depending on where it is purchased.  The Germans, unlike American depots, produced uniforms in a bewildering variety of sizes (very inefficient) and also employed company tailors for further alterations.  In short, the jacket should NOT fit like a potato sack but more like a custom made Italian suit.  

I do not recommend purchasing belt hooks or internal suspenders for the M40 blouse.  The external Y-strap suspension system is far superior to using belt hooks.

For the budget conscious, uniforms made by the German company Sturm represent the best bang for the buck (the uniforms themselves are not made in Germany).  Sturm tunics will likely require some alterations to achieve the proper fit, so take that into account when shopping around.  Sturm's products can be purchased at At the Front

For the total perfectionist, uniforms from Lost Battalions represent the pinnacle of authenticity, but expect to pay at least twice as much as a Sturm product.   They're made in the USA and their website is here.

Trousers

Trouser, just like field blouses, were issued in various "models," including the M36, M37, M40, M42 and M43.  The M37 and m43 models are recommended and readily available.   The M43 trouser represents a large departure from prior models as the pant legs are tapered for use with low boots and leggings.  If you plan on wearing jackboots, the M40 trousers can be worn under or over the boot (a common practice in the field) so may be a better choice.  If you plan on wearing low boots M43 trousers are recommended.

I recommend Sturm products for trousers as your pants will take more abuse than any other piece of gear in your kit.  While LB trousers are also excellent, I do not recommend the extra financial outlay due to the limited life of pants.  Sturm pants are plenty authentic and more reasonably priced.

Sturm's products can be purchased at At the Front

Edited by Udo_Schaaf on May 19 2008,09:55
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2008,11:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you had any experience with On the March?

Reenactor reviews I've read seem to indicate her wool quality is better than LB's.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2008,18:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As far As I know On The March has some of the most authentic tunic's out there right now. The best thing I have heard as well is the quality of the material, stitching, proper cut, etc. and it is in Wisconsin! i.e. Midwest.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2008,19:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looks nice Paul, but I'll miss the old one.

On the March is a bit too high brow and there is scant availability.  You'll have to wait quite awhile for your uniform.  2009 at least at this point.  I think it is safe to say that this is a non-starter and LB is the realistic choice for a quality uniform.

For hats however 1944 militaria is the vendor to use as he has the caps with the bevo applied and not the embroidered insignia.  Canteens are available there too as well as at Grigsby Militaria and Ebay.  The boots are another Grigsby special but I see that Lost Battalions is offering them now too.  But I have the Grigsby boots and have yet to loose a hobnail.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 5
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2008,20:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife said she will miss it too! oh well...
 I figured this way my helmet looks more the part, for the group. I can just apply mud and have the actual local terrain color, just like what Udo did with his helmet at Porkhov. The funny thing is every original helmet I have owned has had the hand painted Matt Grey finish of various shades along with texturing of some kind or another, usually sand.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2008,08:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the new paintjob, but I sure hope you didn't do this on my account.  Variety is the spice of life :)
 Post Number: 7
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2008,11:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texturing looks very good!

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2008,11:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thankyou!
What I was thinking was once the Kubel is ready, if Franz and Otto have the camo scheme applied, I can go over the helmet again with a better color match to the vehicle. As far as I have read most camo helmets would have been painted at the Motor Pool along with the vehicles and other equipment, "Wehrmacht Combat Helmets 1933-45", by Brian C. Bell, Page 44-45, Fallschirmjager Vet Heinz Gonnermanns' account of helmet camo application. Also since the scenario's can go from the war's beginning to the end, a Matt Grey field paint would be the best, for now anyway. Mostly I love messing around with the Stahlhelm. It lends itself to a touch of the personal, unlike the Allied helmets. I did think your idea of a mud bath was great! So many photo's show just an application of mud. Especially where mud was prevalent like N. Africa and Russia.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2009,07:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

German Kit: Low Boots.
Question:
Does anyone have experience with the low boots from At The Front?
I was thinking about ordering a pair.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2009,14:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both my brother and I bought low boots from Grigsby at a show.  They are great.  Don't know about ATF boots but we do like the low boot for ankle support.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
26 replies since Apr. 22 2008,10:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Udo's recommended German kit
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code