Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 9<<1234567>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Helmets!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2010,16:13  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have removed a few liners in the past.
( assuming it is the three rivet liner)
First you will need to flex back the liner band in order to access the three rivet pins, removing them one at a time. Usually in most cases each rivet has a washer as well, unless the liner was removed at a later time, i.e. after the war. Since it is a post war reissue, the washers probably will not be present.
Once you have straightened out both of the rivet prongs you should be able to slip the washer off. Then it is just a matter of slipping the rivets out the front of each hole and the liner should slip right out.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 22
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2010,16:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sir V, Modelmaster makes Imperial Japanese Army Green which when you tint a little with black makes a convincing German helmet color. áDo you have an airbrush?

Or...

http://www.1944militaria.com/equipment_spray_paint.htm

German Dark Fieldgray should work.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 23
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2010,17:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe Ken will also paint helmets.  Then you could get the perfect textured paint job.

http://germanhelmetsinc.com/restored_ww2_helmets.htm
 Post Number: 24
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2010,08:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the info guys!

Paul, I'll take a look when I get home tonight and see if I can figure out how it comes out. Thanks for the pointers!

Otto, Yes I have an airbrush, so I could mix my own and spray it. Also thanks for the link to the paint! I haven't looked at 1944 Militaria's site in a while and after I followed your link I also found this!

http://www.1944militaria.com/german_helmet_paint_and_decals.htm

Udo, I have been to Ken's site on many occasions but never noticed the section at the bottom you pointed out that says he will refurbish a helmet! I was going to get a new liner, split pins and repro strap, for my original M40 and the best deal I have seen on that was a $95 package deal, but he offers doing the same plus a paint job for $170 with shipping! If I did that he would swap the liner for me and I'd get the nice textured paint! Hmmm! I noticed his only caveat is he may not paint a repro helmet, if I'm understanding what he says above about restoring helmets, so I'd have to repaint my repro M42 myself...maybe with the paint 1944 Militaria sells! I don't know if it would be worth it to spend $75 to have a repro helmet painted anyway.

Veilen Dank Kamraden!

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2010,13:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tamiya makes WWII German RAL shades and they work great in an airbrush. Also, Testors makes a Panzer gray and when dry looks ájust like the Dark Gray RAL 7027. Both are cheaper than 1944militaria paint prices and can be applied to metal surfaces. Very fine white decorative sand would work great for a textured finish ( the kind used in gimmicky desktop Zen rock gardens).

I forgot to mention...If you decide to take out the liner in your M40, take care in bending each rivet prong as they can break if bent too much.

Otherwise, as far as the M40, if you don't have the new liner/rivets yet, I am with Udo in saying get a hold of Ken. His liners, rivets, and paint job is top notch, spot on, high quality stuff. ( A year later and I am still excited about the helmet I received from him)

--------------
 Post Number: 26
CharleyNovember Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2010,16:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have helmet envy now.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2010,21:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All this helmet talk got me hot and bothered.  Here are a couple of my "boys."  Both are original shells restored by Ken:

Post Number: 28
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2010,00:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice helmets.  I can't wait to see you in the WWII one.  Is that going to be a play helmet, or just tucked away somewhere safe?

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 29
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2010,07:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool pictures...
That is an awesome M16 Udo. I remember you had mentioned it a couple times in the past. The liner looks really nice, heavy duty leather and well made. Great for early war, volksturm, etc.
Your M42 has a nice patina of crusty dirt, beautiful. Those liners really do change color when exposed to sweat. Mine is not as dark yet, but it's getting there.  
The brown book with "Deutschland something" on the front cover looks interesting. Are those original military books from Germany? They look old.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2010,08:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes...nice looking helmets Udo!

I have a collection of military helmets, WW1 to modern day. I have almost twenty now and my first was a WW1 German Helmet. I bought it in 1975 and paid $1 for it. It had no liner and some battle damage. I bought it at a flea market in Tunisia. I guess a few of those made it to North Africa in WW2. I was very surprised to see it there :D

--------------
86 replies since Aug. 22 2008,11:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 9<<1234567>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Helmets!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code