Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 4 of 9<<12345678>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Helmets!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2010,11:16  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The books I used to prop up the helmets are "Adoph Hitler" and "Deutschland Erwacht" (Germany Resurgement/Awakened).  Both are pre-war cigarette/tobacco picture books, one being dated 1933 and the other 1935.  They're essentially big NSDAP propoganda love fests.  Great pictures.  

The M16 is just a prop piece for now.  I've thought about using it for a Finnish impression sometime in the future.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2010,06:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Udo_Schaaf @ Jan. 21 2010,11:16)
 They're essentially big NSDAP propaganda love fests.  Great pictures.  

That is funny...and true. I had a feeling they were the old propaganda picture books. Ran into one with my Dad two years ago, the thing weighed a ton and full of awesome color pictures of everything German, castles, locals in regional garb, Golden Pheasants all dolled up, etc... It was 270.00 dollars! Needless to say I passed on it. I remember back in the early 90's and one could find these pre-war color books everywhere and for dirt cheap, now it is getting harder to find them.

Back onto helmets...
There is a book by Brian C. Bell published by Osprey called "Wehrmacht Combat Helmets 1933-45". It is a small, simple book, but very informative. It is easily found at most book stores or online and is a great reference for all of those who own a Stahlhelm.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Wehrmac....1767253

Another great reference book is "Stahlhelm", Evolution of the German Helmet, by Floyd Tubbs, 1971.
http://www.amazon.com/Stahlhe....3386779

Maybe this can help Oberst, a cut-away view of the interior of the M31 liner...

--------------
 Post Number: 33
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2010,08:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another wealth of information post.  Thanks Paul.  I think we'll need to come up with some sort of ribbon for you, Neo, and Udo.  Maybe call it the history buff ribbon. :D   One for EJ too I guess.  His can have an oak leaf cluster for vehicle knowledge. :D

Side note.  Reenactor fest is in Illinois on 02/05 thru 02/07.  I plan on going because Grigsby is setting up a booth and I want some stuff.  New service cap, drings, etc.  Anybody need anything?  Pm me.  Maybe I can pick it up and you can pay me in Pickerel or send me some funds.  Mike, wanna go with?

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 34
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2010,08:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well....I sent the original M40 to Ken on Saturday. Along with a check for $170. I look forward to seeing the results!

I ordered a can of the helmet paint from 1944 Militaria for the cheeeepo reeeepro I have. Also on Saturday I was at Lowes and noticed a line of "textured" spray paints that Rustoleum sells. I bought a can of the black to undercoat the repro that I am going to spray with the 1944 Militaria paint. The textured paint gives you a nice even textured surface, maybe too even :p

--------------
 Post Number: 35
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2010,16:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holy Stahlhelm Batman that Ken is quick!!

Last Saturday, I dropped my helmet off at the Post Office, to send to Ken at Germanhelmetsinc.com for a full resto and it came back today!! Wow is he quick!!

He must have sent it out before he even got it from me!  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 36
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2010,08:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well.... how does it look?

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 37
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2010,10:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He is very very fast.  I've always wondered how he does it myself.
 Post Number: 38
CharleyNovember Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2010,16:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you sure it is your exact helmet? Perhaps he has some predone and just sends them out in an exchange manner?

--------------
 Post Number: 39
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2010,18:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually...I haven't seen it yet...the Post Office left a note in my mailbox Friday, saying that they tried to deliver it, I won't get to pick it up till Monday afternoon.

As far as whether it is mine or not, we will see, I remember what the codes were in mine, an ET66, but can't remember what the serial number was.

--------------
 Post Number: 40
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2010,18:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well....I am very pleased with the helmet, I picked it up at the Post Office today and yes it is my helmet. I recognized the codes and the serial number inside the rim. The paint smells so fresh, that it has to have been just painted.

As I requested, he returned the old original liner that was in it and it was interesting to see a manufactures stamp on the outside of the helmet liner band. It was stamped 1937.

Also I compared the texture of the aluminum oxide on the helmet Ken did for me with the texture of the "textured" spray paint I bought at Lowes and it is very similar. As soon as I get the can of spray paint I ordered from 1944 Militaria I'll shoot it on and post comparison photos for everyone to see.

--------------
86 replies since Aug. 22 2008,11:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 4 of 9<<12345678>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Helmets!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code