Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 5 of 9<<123456789>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Helmets!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 41
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2010,10:44  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally got a chance to try the helmet paint that 1944 Militaria sells. I sprayed it on the cheapo repro helmet I have. The paint is close to what Ken at German Helmets Inc. uses, but is a bit greener and has a little shine to it, but not much.

When I ordered the can of paint from 1944 Miitaria, I inquired whether there was any texture "built in" to the paint. They said no, but that they thought they had a little aluminum oxide left over that they could send me to sprinkle on to the wet paint. They did not send any aluminum oxide with the paint, either because they did not have any or they forgot about it during the two week wait from the time I ordered the paint till the time they shipped   :(  

I looked into ordering some aluminum oxide but found that it is sold in 50 pound bags for the sand blasting industry. So instead of that, I tried a can of spray paint that Rustoleum sells that has texture "built in" to the paint. I tried one can that was black, but it had too fine of a texture and bought a second can that has a coarser texture, that was a brown color. The second can was actually a two tone brown, the base color is a dark brown and the texture itself was a lighter shade of brown. When sprayed onto the helmet it looked very mush like rust. I may find a need for this paint in the future if I want to simulate old rusty metal, as that is just what it looked like ???

After I sprayed the textured paint on the cheapo repro, I sprayed the 1944 paint on over it and the finished product looks very close as to what Ken at German Helmets Inc sends you. I will shoot a photo comparison if anyone wants to see it.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 42
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2010,11:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance @ Feb. 15 2010,10:44)
I will shoot a photo comparison if anyone wants to see it.

By all means, please do.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 43
CharleyNovember Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2010,16:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a helmet coming how can I tell if it is a cheap repor or a good repro if there is such a thing...It was sort of a package deal so i went for it. Hope  it turns out in my favor.

--------------
 Post Number: 44
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2010,17:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got my Cheapo Repro as part of a package deal too. It's hard to say what is a good one are a bad one until you have it right next to an original. The biggest thing is the rolled edge, on the one I got, is very uneven and wavy. It is very noticeable around the back edge. You can really see it if you set it on a flat table. But with a camo cover on it you'd never know.

The second thing is the gauge of the metal is much thinner. You can tell that by how heavy it is not. Which really isn't a bad thing for older necks like mine :D

Also with some of the repros, you may have a hard time, if you need to swap the liner for a different sized one as some of the repros, especially the Chinese helmets don't follow the size patterns of the originals. They are not marked in the size patterns of the original either.

There are manufacturers in Europe who make spot on replicas. They run about $50-$80 more than the Chinese models, but are accurate in size,  have the ID codes stamped into them and have the rubber stamp in the dome as well. I haven't seen one of their M35,40 or 42's up close, but do have one of the M38 FJ helmets they make and it is very nice.

--------------
 Post Number: 45
CharleyNovember Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2010,19:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I'll just have to see when I come to Breacort Manor with mine. I'm sure Bob will be happy to point out how wrong it is for me. lol

--------------
 Post Number: 46
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2010,23:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are a few photos of the helmets.

Below Left: Original M40 Helmet, painted by Ken at German Helmets Inc.
Below Right Cheapo Repro, sprayed with paint from 1944 Militaria.

Close up of original M40 showing texture made by sprinkling Aluminum Oxide on the wet paint.

Close up of Cheapo Repro undercoated with Rustoleum Textured paint.

The paint from 1944 Militaria is a little darker and a little greener than what Ken shoots on his helmets. This is because the 1944 paint has a little shine to it. I will get some clear flat paint and spray it on the Cheapo Repro. That should gray it and lighten it a bit.

Below is the M16 helmet I bought in 1975 at a Flea Market in Tunisia. It still has some tan/brown paint on it.

--------------
 Post Number: 47
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,01:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice work.  How do you know Ken has the correct color and Militaria1944 does not?  Or should I say correcter or correctest.  :)

The oxide looks better sprinkled on for sure.  You get too uniform a covering out of a can but as you say, it is just for the repo and no one is going to give it a second thought in the field anyway.

Looks like Pete is getting ready for a Heer makeover. - Yeah.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 48
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,07:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kens paint seems to be more of a Panzer Gray, while 1944militaria seems to be the slate gray finish. Both look spot on as far as paint goes. The Rustoleum appears to have a much finer and more abundant texture to it. My M42 from Ken was also lightly sprinkled with the oxide giving it a patchy appearance with small "bald" spots.

A chance to go to Tunisia would be awesome by itself, but then to find a rare piece like that M16 with trace amounts of tropical tan paint, doesn't get any better than that. Liner or no liner that bad boy is a one of a kind museum piece with no doubt to it's authenticity. One can only imagine the story it could tell...
Looks like there are some burned areas on the crown of the helmet and around the right lug.

--------------
 Post Number: 49
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,09:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ja wohl Otto! I will be Heer next weekend and I don't mean I will be here :D

Yes the 1944 Militaria paint is different but not wrong. Even though I have seen many photos showing helmets with some shine to them I would rather flatten the color a bit. Just my own preference. Also the shade of the color itself seems OK too, as many photos of troops in the same unit will show many shades of gray, but in most B&W photos what hue they are is impossible to tell. I have seen many color photos showing original helmets, online and in books and the 1944 color is very similar to many I have seen. Its interesting to note that many of the original helmets that have survived with their original paint schemes are very shiny. I think they may have originally been less shiny but years of handling has added some shine to them. I have noticed this even on rusted helmets that have been handled a lot.

As far as the texture goes, yes the Rustoleum paint is a little finer and is a little too even as well, but will do fine on a repro helmet until I can find a some Aluminum Oxide in less than a 50 lb. bag :p

Having done this makes me want to get a few more helmets, both too collect and for play. I would like one white washed, for winter play, but have not found an easily removable white paint. I tried crushed chalk once and it looked great, but cam off way too easy. I'm still looking for a white paint that is durable enough, yet will come off easy, It's either that or get a helmet and permantely white wash it. I'd like to have one in "Normandy Camo" as well. Also it was common among some Panzer troops to apply a thin layer of Zimmerit paste to the helmet as well. These usually had camo applied, with a brush, a sprayer or both. I plan to try to replicate the Zimmerit on the Cheapo Repro in the above photos to cover up it's imperfections....Let's see that is project number 1078 and I am only on project number 311 :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 50
Shuzensky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,09:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sir V- When your satisfied with the paint of the Repro, I'd also suggest hitting it with a thin layer of "Testors Dullcoat" to flatten and dull down some of that shimmer, like you said.  
As long as it goes on real thin; more matte, less shine and reflection, I say.
Or, give it a simple dirt bath if you don't want to risk any possible overcoating.

The Tunisia flea market find is quite nice, indeed.

--------------

"Show no quarter."
86 replies since Aug. 22 2008,11:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 5 of 9<<123456789>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Helmets!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code