Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 6 of 9<<23456789>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Helmets!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 51
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,11:02  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes! I planned on hitting the hobby shop tomorrow for some Testors Dullcoat, it has always worked great!

Some day I'll get a 35mm slide scanner and post the photos I took on that trip to Tunisia. Some of the slides have gone missing, including one of me sticking out of the turret hatch of knocked out Panzer III that we spotted, abandoned in an olive grove. It still had much of it's original paint on it. It now resides in a museum in Germany. I still have a couple slides of it with my brother standing next to it. I also have a shot of one of the numerous donkey carts that were always rumbling down the roads wisked along by small children, who prodded the donkey's with a stick. The carts had fifty gallon drums on them to fetch water from the local wells and most interestingly, every one I saw rolled on the metal road wheels from German halftracks, minus the rubber tire, which had long since worn away. I'll never forget the sound they made rolling down the streets! I didn't get a shot of it, but one day we passed a gas station that had a small junk yard attached. Sitting amongst the wrecked Citroen 2cv's was a VW Shwimwagen! My brother, who lived in Tunisia for two years, told me of the main junk yard in Tunis, that he would visit to get parts for his Land Rover, it was littered, with hundreds of WW2 vehicles, American, British and German.

Gosh, how I would like to go back to Tunisia in 1975 with a pocket full of Dinars :p

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 52
wellnitz Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,14:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I remember correctly there are some photo's floating around of the 3rd Panzergrenadier along with captured Bren carriers. Their helmets have a tan-yellow over spray with what appears to be either green streaks or the gray undercoat. That would be a neat look for some of us if it was common enough within the 3rd at the time.

--------------
 Post Number: 53
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,19:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you talking about this photo.

One of my favorite:

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 54
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2010,20:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, that's the one, looks like M42's with the tan-yellow over spray, very cool picture indeed.

--------------
 Post Number: 55
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2010,18:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got bored this afternoon and spent about an hour doing a "Normandy" camo on the Cheapo Repro.  I used that Krylon "Saddle Tan" that matches German Ordinance Yellow and some red brown that I had. I then aged it with some model paints and pastels, along with a Scotchbrite pad and some sand paper. Then shot Testors Dullcoat on top.

--------------
 Post Number: 56
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2010,18:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice job on the pattern and weathering, it looks great.

--------------
 Post Number: 57
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2012,15:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just showing off my helmet.  It is an IMA repro m35.  I painted the decals on myself and then smothered it in mud.  I also added a foliage wire made out of copper not unlike the kind used for communications wire.  

--------------
 Post Number: 58
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2012,22:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aldrich, that's a sharp helmet.  Be careful when using foliage not to over-do it.  The idea is to just break up the circular man-made helmet shape.  If the foliage extends too far it actually works against you and becomes counter-camouflage.  The copper wire will look better when it becomes tarnished so don't rush out and buy any Brasso. :)

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 59
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2012,00:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!  :)  I usually don't try to put too much foliage on as I like the look of the helmet.  The foliage was originally up tight to the helmet but it was pretty breezy out, I wouldn't recommend using leaves for that reason: they move too much.  The leaves are actually based off a photo I have of a group of infantry dug into a ditch.  Each of them has some sort of wire or bread bag strap on their helmet.  Interestingly enough, one looks as though he wired a large clump of sod onto his helmet to match the field in front of him.  I also like how you can use the tan of the mud along with the field grey to create your own camo pattern.  I figure many soldiers did the same in field.  I do not think mud was ever something in short supply on the eastern front.   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 60
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012,11:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice detail addition to your helmet Aldrich. If possible post some pics of the hand-painted decals, I'd like to see how they turned out.

I hand painted the national shield onto my M-18 Transitional helmet, like some of the original M-18's, and scratched off the Adler. Then gave the shield a worn look by scratching little bits of it off.
I got the idea from an original DAK helmet a friend of mine has. It was picked up in an Allied hospital from the bed of a German POW. The helmet is a M-35 with a tan brown hand painted camo pattern with the Adler painted over but the national shield left intact. We figured the German soldier was obviously not a Nazi Party supporter, thus the reason for painting over the Adler, but a nationalist.

--------------
86 replies since Aug. 22 2008,11:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 6 of 9<<23456789>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Helmets!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code