Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 4<<1234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Soviet Uniforms & Field Gear, Check here first before you buy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2010,17:36  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My latest Sportsmans Guide Surplus catalog had these!

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net....=604880

No size choice though on the helmet :(

And these....

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net....=604882

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net....=604883

What do you Commie's think :;):

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 12
Snoman120 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2010,19:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The belt is (very) late war, to the best of my knowledge the helmet shell and canteen look fine though. Though who knows about the liner.
 Post Number: 13
Panzerknacker43 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2010,20:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The soviet-power stuff doesn't look too good, except for the ww2 type pilotka might be okay, but its 10 plus 15 for shippings, so I wouldn't get anything from there.  

The sportmansguide helmets look okay, it has the low rivets on the liner, so it is surely a postwar liner, but who knows.  The belts are crap, not ww2.  The canteen looks okay, but i guarantee it has a 1980s date on the bottom of it.  The carrier looks a little goofy to me, but otherwise they didn't really change from ww2 all that much.  Thanks for posting these finds.

Tom

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Oberst Von Luger AKA SirVeilance Search for posts by this member.
Sir Veilance

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2010,07:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I'm not that up on the Soviet gear, but thought if it was correct and a good price, I'd buy it. But I'll save my money and wait till I have at least ordered a Soviet weapon.

If I knew what size the helmet was I'd order it anyway, but I have bought two un-sized helmets from The Sportsmans Guide before and both were way too small :angry:

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Shuzensky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2010,11:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ssh40 should have the three pad liner (horse hair) and 6 rivets. The leather spider web liner is what is found in most post war, lower end helmets. There is a distinct shape difference between the later models too. (A Tighter shape with tighter lips on the front and the sides.)
The sizes come in a 1, 2, or a 3 and meant to be worn over the politka. The helmet I own is like this and it is dated in 1948, so post war, but yet the same specs.

Three Pad liner-

Below, the latter two, are a lot that you'll find on ebay at a cheaper price, under $30-50. I learned this lesson the hard way and currently also own the Czech one in the middle. I bought it for a total of $25 ($10 shipping) from Ebay last spring.

"A comparative look at the Soviet SSh-40, Czech Model 1953 and
Hungarian Model 1973 which shows that, beyond the obvious
differences in liners and rivet placement, the helmets possess subtle
differences in the shape of the steel shells."

The post war canteens are green with the cap that has five (wider) ribs. ($10-20) (Your Sportmans guide link) I agree with Panzerknacker that they are surely dated late and not specifically WWII as advertised. It's Cold War.

The true dated canteens had the screw cap that has six "skinny" ribs. They are about $40-50 and up for each, but can easily be found. There is also the pre-war glass type with a cork.

Ostfront has dented and dirty post war canteens for around $15-20. That is what I bought. I had to do some serious canteen cleaning (sediment removal), but I am happy with my results. For myself, I may opt to up my impression in the future and get the true original canteen someday.

--------------

"Show no quarter."
 Post Number: 16
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2010,13:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice helmet post! I'm in the market for a better canteen at some point too. I see them in good condition selling for upwards of $80. Ouch.

I'd like to see the Soviets rock more helmets during games.    If I were in actual combat, I'd want to be wearing one.

Edited by Udo_Schaaf on Jan. 15 2010,13:20
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2010,15:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just adjusted the liner on mine, and found it much more comfortable, so I plan on using that in the future. Mine is Czech with a converted liner and chin strap, it looks fairly close though...
 Post Number: 18
kalbs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2010,18:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've looked for replacement chin straps for my Czech helmets but cannot find a source, any suggestions where to look?

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2010,18:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine actually just has Russian equipment straps for a chinstrap.
 Post Number: 20
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2015,21:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

In 3 weeks I head for Newville, PA. for an event that has a great military flea market. In the past I have bought $15.00 Russian canteens with covers and other gear related items. If there are Russian WW 2 or good post war items to be had... Let me know soon what I should keep my eyes open for. Every Russian should have at least 1-canteen, mess kit , rain cape/shelter half and shovel for a Ostwind event.
31 replies since Jun. 29 2009,11:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 4<<1234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Soviet Uniforms & Field Gear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code