Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stalingrad-Beginning... AAR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2011,14:15  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, the event was a smashing success I would say.  New faces abounded and since that was the reason for an APOC event I'd say kudos go to the organizers.  The scenarios were interesting, and well run, the sportsmanship was top notch and the event had no injuries to my knowledge.

It was cold.  We seem to have a hardy batch of players and endured one of our coldest events with barely a whimper of complaint.  The high was reported at 18-degrees but it was colder for much of the play.  I think though that we had minimal weapon down time.  Sure there were problems but with springer guns in abundance and others wrapping their AEG batteries in hand warmers the problems were minimized.

I think my blank-fire commander had a good time.  He had a couple of long distance Mauser kills in the final scenario and was contented with that outcome.  I do think we will see them come again and maybe with others.

We had a chance to meet new players on both sides but for the Germans only I will speak and Johan and Fritz did well in their first outing.  Both seem enthusiastic.

Highlights - The final scenario, I was on the right flank of Tin City and sniped three Russians and would have had more but my goggles were fogging and I couldn't see and just retreated to clean them.  Matt helped me get them working again and so I think it was just a dirty contacts situation and look forward to another winter battle with the Mauser.  Also, getting a view of Ulrich's PPSH-41 and his Russian stick mag conversion.  Pretty nice work.  He is really improving his unit with each showing.  The 6th SS are really starting to form up.  They are getting all mountain boots and the snowshoes on their backs really make them look great.  I hope they continue to fight side-by-side with their Heer brethren.  They brought nine players and that was a real contribution to the Axis team.  Seeing Kerrick and others that I've not seen in awhile was a highlight too.

Negatives - Well... I was really disappointed that I didn't deliver Wellnitz's rifle back to him for this event.  I had cleared the jam and repaired the bolt housing so it could be cocked problem but didn't chrono it and at 290-FPS it was unacceptable as a Mauser.  He used my brother's rifle since then I've solved his problem and he'll get it back at Feb event.  The problem for those who care about this stuff is alignment with the real steel outer barrel and that opening at the muzzle end was slightly increased which means the bb's don't strike it when exiting.  Coke can chrono now says every shot over 450-FPS.

Nice work, Rekkon and Gryphon coordinating on this event.  It is challenging hosting long distance like this and I can only imagine the extra planning and headaches involved but you guys carried it off.  I think we'll be more used to the barrel-blocker, full seal goggle routine for the next one.

Here are a couple of pics though I anticipate many better ones in the days ahead as we had a dedicated photographer at this one.  :)    

Soviet soldiers soaking up the cold weather

Dave sporting a very warm fur hat that fits me perfectly.

A group shot of the Germans but there were a few more out of frame.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ulrich_von_offenberg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2011,15:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All of my guys loved the game! For myself, I'm excited of last dynamic scenario where I challenged long range sniper duels and finished up CQB with same bolt action Mauser.  Last few kills in the Tin city were mine ;)  

p.s. to pay back all fun that Ive got during the game, Im suffering now from feet and muscle pain ... and many scratches on my legs from spiky plants... and off course big plum under my eye. lol

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2011,16:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ulrich_von_offenberg @ Jan. 09 2011,15:53)
p.s. to pay back all fun that Ive got during the game, Im suffering now from feet and muscle pain ... and many scratches on my legs from spiky plants... and off course big plum under my eye. lol

Definitely!  I don't think I've ever been more sore in the aftermath of a game.  The terrain (especially the roads) was almost solid ice covered by just an inch of snow or less.  That made walking with hobnails very treacherous and every step was a measured one that required muscles not used otherwise to keep your balance.  Repeated a thousand or more times and I could barely budge from the sack this morning.  Ouch!  It reminds me of the second day of wrestling practice.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 4
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2011,18:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great job by all the organizers.  I enjoyed the event and I believe that the field suited itself well to our style of play.

The pictures taken at the game will be uploaded near the end of the month.  Classes at SAIC start on the 22nd of January and the film will be processed at the school's labs.  I'll have scans of the negatives when they're ready.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2011,01:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was really looking forward to playing this game as we hadn't done anything since October and I was not disappointed.  Very nice field to play on.  I don't believe I saw a spot of paint anywhere and that was also great.  I remember the last paintball field was in warm weather and some of us couldn't help avoid contacting the stuff but I suppose with the snow and cold any paint had long ago disappeared or been rendered a non-annoying factor.  Thank you Rekkon and Gryphon for organizing this one.  I believe your efforts were rewarded with a pretty good turnout for this game.

One of the things about this game that stood out for me was the amount of grenade attacks.  There were a lot.  The pea grenades are great and hearing them go off every few minutes adds to the whole battle.  I know I heard a lot of them go off.  There were also lots of foamy grenade tosses and this game field is the place to tote grenades.  Lots of close quarter action.  Even more of a stand out for me though was Russian rifle fire.  As a member of the German team we've had good rifle support for some time and I know the Russians are always wary of it.  The Russians in this game utilized quite a few rifles and it seemed that when I got hit it was always by a single pb.  I thought the field favored rifles because of clear paths of fire, mature trees and very little undergrowth.  We know that aeg's can act up in the cold weather and the rifles on both sides had a heyday at this event.

My highlight was in the first scenario defending in the trenches.  I was at the junction of a trench when I sensed a major Russian push and could see 3-5 hats yards from me pushing down the trench.  Two more were pushing straight at me in a parrallel trench line.  I sprayed them first and then rolled low and into the trench with the other Russians and was then in their field of fire but had my finger depressed on my ppsh.  I had started to fog up and just kept my trigger finger down.  I was rewarded by hearing plenty of hits but I didn't get them all because I got hit shortly after.  Damn goggles, I couldn't see.

All of the scenarios were a lot of fun but I guess I liked the second one the best.  I thought it was well scripted and I enjoyed being both a part of the relieving force and a part of the besieged force during that game.  That one see-sawed quite a bit too which made it far from a sure thing.  In fact, I don't know who won that but I'm sure Rekkon will tally it up for us.  

The weather was really quite nice.  I was comfortable all day and only got a little cold towards the end of the day.  It was nice to see everyone (both old and new) and I hope you all had fun at this one too.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 6
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2011,12:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whew!  It must have been a good event, because my legs are still sore.  Thank you to everyone that attended, Gryphon for being co-organizer and Dave and Apoc for use of their field.  We had a very good winter turnout of around 42 players

From my perspective, this was an awesome event.  I had a blast and was reminded that with proper clothing, winter play is no big deal.  I had weapon problems like many others but brought enough backups (and enough grenades) to keep myself fighting.  We had a lot of rifles on the field, which I really liked.  There were also plenty of grenade attacks.  It really added to the event to hear the TLSFx grenades going off periodically.  I had a case of 20 for sale, and it was empty by midday.

I saw a pretty clean game, only one blatant failure to call a hit (from a rifle).  Two or three complaints were brought to my attention, but I think overall people were pretty honorable and forgiving.  With everyone wearing heavy winter clothing, it was harder to feel hits.  I know I got a few hits that the other obviously did not notice.  Such is the nature of the game in cold weather.  We had problems with people lifting their goggles on the field and not following Apoc rules.  I was constantly yelling at people, as were the field staff.  If the MOA hosts another game here I will have to implement a penalty card or three-strikes rule since verbal warnings alone clearly did not suffice.

The first scenario, Operation Uranus, was meant to replicate the initial Russian assault on the flank of Stalingrad held by Romanian forces.  Axis players were defending the trench field as their enemies launched a frontal assault from the airball field.  It began with a heavy mortar barrage.  I had rounded up every mortar the MOA had for this scenario, as well as plenty of ammo and propellant, and the Russians burned through pretty much all of it.  With so many of the Axis players in heavy cover, I do not know how many kills they got, but it was cool to be on the receiving end.  I was in the second story of the tower attempting to spot hits when a round hit the side of a nearby tree.  And I know Paul had a good time lobbing foam rockets at us.  He got zeroed in pretty quick too.

Ivan’s infantry then began advancing behind the cover of their “armor.”  Since we had not thought the snow conditions would permit the use of Troy’s BA-64, we used tank silhouettes on bedsheets.  These were “driven” toward the trenches to give the Russians cover and jumping off points into the trenches.  From here the endless communist hordes poured forth (respawn points).  Our Romanian allies held at first, repulsing the first few waves, but attrition quickly thinned our frontline trench, and once it fell we were never able to get it back.  I had hoped to hole up in the tower and rain grenades down into the trenches, but Hal put a premature end to that by picking me off through a firing port.  Soon the tower was isolated.  Most of the grenade activity in the first scenario was focused on it.

Our secondary trench was pressed hard on the left.  When it collapsed the Russians began moving troops through.  Their objective was breakthrough to two flags north of the defensive works.  Once a player reached one of these flag, they would transfer a token to mark the breakthrough and return to a respawn point.  Axis forces were never able to cut off this flow.  We were relegated to the trench corner nearest our respawn, which was rapidly running out of respawn tokens.  We inflicted heavy losses on the Russians that made it to the tower, but retaking it was never really feasible.  My highlight was a beautiful (and lucky) toss with an expoding pea grenade that slipped into the tower’s second story.  The unfortunate player occupying it told me afterwards that she just huddled up in a corner until it blew.  I also had a very nice rifle kill on the enemy CO (Gryphon).

After about an hour of fierce fighting, the Axis tokens were exhausted, and the few survivors fell back until they too were eliminated by the unending red masses.  Of the 50 breakthrough tokens in the Russian buckets, 30-35 of them had been transferred.  Take that for what you will.  I did not define strict victory conditions, shooting instead for more nebulous and realistic individual impressions of the outcome.  Since the Allies had infinite respawns, it was only a matter of time before the Axis position collapsed entirely.  The only clear Axis win would have been preventing any breakthroughs until time expired.  Historically the Romanians held at first, then got steamrolled, which pretty well mimics our outcome.  Also a thank you to everyone that took a few minutes to case the field for mortar rockets.  I am only down one, and I think the other contributors are only missing a few as well.

After a lunch break we headed out for the second scenario, Operation Winter Storm, the German attempt to relieve encircled Stalingrad.  Axis forces spawned at the Apoc field entrance and had to fight their way to tin city through Russian forces.  Three players were stationed inside the city to act as the encircled forces and provide a “fire zone” around the area.  These players respawned inside the city and basically could not be eliminated.  There was some Allied confusion regarding this mechanic, and I apologize for it.  The city defenders were not allowed to leave, though they could swap out with other players if any managed to break through.  Russians respawned at the tower.

I pushed the German forces up the main trail aggressively at game on, favoring our left flank since it maximized the distance for Allied reenforcements.  We hit the defenders hard and were initially blunted.  There were some early gains, but as we neared that gray tent, we took a wave of heavy casualties.  Some Ivans had been killed and a few others displaced, but we certainly took the worst of it.  As we pushed up one side, it drew out our right flank, providing a “soft underbelly” that the enemy repeatedly probed.  The fight lasted long enough that I began to wonder if we would be able to break through.  I was constantly yelling for my men to move up, hurry up, don’t bunch up, and my throat paid for it by the end.

A concentrated push secured us the gray tent, which turned out to be a pivotal location.  It and the log pile behind it became the lynchpin of our corridor.  Once we took it, I stationed myself there with a few others and pushed the rest further up the left where there were more bunkers.  We linked up with Stalingrad and started moving people through.  I estimate we held that corridor open for a half hour.  On the right, our soldaten had pushed the enemy back to the trenches and were content to hold them there.  We had enough breathing space to replace casualties before positions became critical.  After a while I snagged a passing German to replace me on the log pile and double timed it to the city.  I transferred my breakthrough token and headed back to respawn, making a Gryphon detour to check that everything was going OK on the Russian side.

Sometime during my respawn walk, Ivan managed to pinch off our corridor.  Several of our starting city defenders were now trapped outside with the attackers, and several attackers now trapped in the city.  I hope they got a kick out of that.  We tried to fight back up the left side, but the enemy had heavily reinforced that area, and the offensive bogged down.  My battery died, leaving me with just a rifle.  I was way out in front near the gray tent for quite a while with plenty of people shooting at me.  It was a great precarious feeling.  They put a lot of fire on me, including Gryphon dropping two rifle shots right next to my head.  I kept my cool and managed to pick off two at the tent.  Several weak attempts to claim the tent were defeated.  The Russians tried to push back a bit, but we managed to blunt these.  I had a very tense moment where an enemy soldier pushed up just as my magazine went dry.  Fortunately he did not notice me as I tried to calmly reload my weapon.

By now I was doubting that we would be able to reopen our corridor.  Everyone had been moving a lot and was getting tired.  I figured the energy just was not there.  Ulrich proved me wrong by rallying his people for a mass charge.  The screaming SS went forth and stormed the position.  When they did not heed my call to crawl under the tent wall, Hal sprinted up and rolled under.  With the lynchpin back under our control, we managed to force open the rest of the route, though with more difficulty than last time.  Only 10-15 minutes were left on the clock.  The Russians kept at us, but I was not about to repeat our previous mistake.  When next I glanced at my watch, only two minutes remained, so I grabbed everyone nearby and we ran for the city.  Looking back, I saw Gryphon and his men sweep in behind us.  I dropped my token with 15 seconds to spare.

This was by far my favorite scenario.  The breakthrough concept worked out well on that section of field, and the encircled defenders prevented camping of the escape location.  People were kept moving (and thus warm) while the distances were mild to prevent heavy exhaustion.  Best of all was the back-and-forth of us opening a corridor, only to have the Russians pinch it off before a final heroic effort got our foot back in the door.  I also got a nice headshot in on Paul.  :)  Of the 50 tokens in the bucket, German forces managed to transfer 35.

I had a more involved scenario plan for the final phase, Operation Koltso.  German forces were going to get pushed back from the firebase to a final stand at tin city.  To simulate lack of supplies, I was not going to let my forces reload magazines, except when they respawned.  However, it was plain everyone was getting tired, and we were running short on daylight, so I simplified things to straight up fight for tin city.  Each team had a respawn on one side with 30 tokens.  I thought it worked out well.  After all, a winter Stalingrad game at Apoc demands CQB in tin city.

At the go horn both teams rushed for the city.  It seemed like they beat us there, but not by much.  What followed was an hour of whack-a-mole fighting in the city center.  The Russians managed to hold most of the buildings as attrition ground down both sides’ reserves.  My second PPSh went down, again leaving me with only a hot rifle for close in work.  Definitely not ideal.  Midgame I said “the heck with this” and with a weapon slung over each shoulder, pulled out all of my grenades.  People had been saving the exploding variety for the tin city fight, and plenty of them were getting lobbed.  Twice I charged the middle, lobbing live and dummy explosives into every door and window I could reach.  Each assault quickly got me killed, but I managed to kill at least twice my number each time.  That round I killed more with grenades than my guns.  The game wound down with the last few survivors on each side still struggling for survival.  I flanked wide around near the swamp to get some rifle shots into Russian rears before making a final grenade charge, but Ulrich managed to clean out the final opposition.

It was a good end to the day I think.  Uncomplicated CQB killing, and Paul got payback by nailing me in the chin when I poked my head around a corner.  Though the Germans won, it was not by much.  We had only a few players left, and I think overall the Russian team outfought us.  They held more of the city more of the time, and they did it with 3-4 fewer players.  Good show all around.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with this event.  There were a lot of new faces, so hopefully a few of them will be attracted to MOA’s regular events, but most importantly it seemed like everyone had fun.  I even made enough monies to mostly cover my travel expenses, which puts me way ahead of most Apoc quests.  :)  I welcome any and all feedback people might have.  This was my first time running an event of this size and my first at Apoc.  There were a few bumps, but I think we got past them without much difficulty.  Live and learn.
 Post Number: 7
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2011,21:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After an initial inspection of the giant jumble of gear that accompanied me home, it appears that I am missing my EM M43 service cap.  It has a Lorraine cross sewn onto the side.
 Post Number: 8
Johan Anton Bremen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2011,21:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had an awesome time....and in my opinion, world war two airsoft is like way better than blankfire asfaras the game play is concerned, you have to be hit to be killed, and i like that.  First battle i was killed by IDF (indirect fire)--which i glady took, it was cool to be mortared without hearing the round and the following explosion(i have experience  with regards to incoming mortar and rocket fire) which was perfect.  The impact was less than 10 feet from me and that would have generated a letter to be sent home i am sure...and there is no doubt we lost the first battle...the second battle was fun, as my impression was that the russians held the left flank and the germans held the right flank...i thought hte battle was pretty much even...the third battle was kick butt from start to finish...I enjoyed the CQB...I got shot in the leg,,which made me wince...ouch doggoneit them bb's hurt somewhat))), got blown up by a frag, and then my weapon quit shooting, but alas, it was fun...i do believe i got a few kills and there was one point where boris and i had a vendetta with each others faces))) as the issue in fallujah, the only thing we could see was each others heads...my only problem was that i keep doing the things i was trained to do in the Navy, like calling out "location change", "reloading", and "frag out".  It doesnt help our cause in airsoft, i will try to avoid these things in the future...one of the things i enjoyed was listening to the russian fellas from the 6th SS, oh man you guys are awesome...i also like to say, i didnt notice any hits not being taken, and one of my kills i had no idea until after the battle was over when a russain told me i killed him...i always liked the honor system in blankfire and it seems to work here aswell...good sportsmanship all around...i didnt hear anyone getting into arguements nor did i hear any nasty words being tossed around except for my attempt at making a funny about stalin wearing leiberhossen...I will continue to play and be apart of the team you guys have built, thank you for allowing me to join)))...donley
I figured out how to use photos...yeaaaa

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2011,21:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Johan Anton Bremen @ Jan. 10 2011,21:17)
my only problem was that i keep doing the things i was trained to do in the Navy, like calling out "location change", "reloading", and "frag out".  It doesn't help our cause in airsoft, i will try to avoid these things in the future...

Well, that's for sure.  For awhile there, I didn't know if it was 2003 in Iraq or 1942 in Stalingrad.  I was confused.  I thought about saying something but it was your first event and you caught it anyway so I'm glad I didn't.  It was like when Dave handled us in formation at the start speaking drill in German.  Now that's what we are shooting for.  But still it was fun to listen to how the modern guys do it.  One thing for sure, I always knew what you were seeing out there and that helped me tactically.

Glad you enjoyed the event and I look forward to seeing you again at the February event.

Rekkon - give me enough notice and I could have another  kruez made for you by Feb if you don't hear anything about your cap.  I plan on making up another batch.  I left the scissors, twine and Austrian canvas there.  Did anyone take that stuff home with them?  If so, bring it to next event please.

--------------

Post Number: 10
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2011,19:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Otto, I believe Gryphon scooped up the leftover fabric and twine.  There were several scissors left at the end that were not mine so I did not take them.

I will let you know if I need another kruez, but Adam would like one.  You sent him a pewter blank a while back, but he never got around to cutting it.
20 replies since Jan. 09 2011,14:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stalingrad-Beginning... AAR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code