[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: East Meets West AAR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Alban Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2011,12:39  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had a great time as always good to see new and old faces! This was my first time using a lens with a higher focal length for an event so it was good practice for me since I plan on covering a lot of airsoft/reenactments in the future. I only took 100 so pictures for this and I should have taken them during one on the earlier games with more lighting on the field. Such is life, either way I tried covering as much of the field and everyone as possible. One thing to note though is my camera made a second folder while I was taking pictures so when I was editing them today in a batch conversion they are out of order. Sorry about that, I'll be sure to not have that happen in the future. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61912907@N08/

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2011,18:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AAR -  Brrrr!  I'm still trying to get my body warmth back.

As usual, the event was well orchestrated and Troy's pre-event planning was noticed as all the props were in place and those types of little details were handled.

I think MOA has a new record for attendance.  Not official numbers but was it like 45 participants for Saturday?  Yeah... it was up there.  Lots of help from the Illinois area.  They provided a real boost of 6th SS fighters (looking better than ever) and 3 new 11th SS attendees tried their hand too.  The 3rd PzGr had nine members show.  For the German side we had a 9-man Heer group and two 7-man SS groups.  The Soviets were equal in number once you added the small US contingent.

Back to weather.  I believe this was our nastiest weather event ever.  Not the coldest or the wettest, but when you add cold, rain, sleet, snow and wind with pre-existing mud and water you end up with a big pile of Ostfront weather.  I have to say, that I was impressed that people just kept arriving to play.  I had imagined that there would be far more cancels for the event.

Good scenarios, balanced play, seesaw battles, with the Russians winning two of three on Saturday.  Sunday turned into a Russian training day due to attrition in the German ranks from those who could only play one day or who decided they had had enough.  Myself and my brother were in that category.  Whew!

So onward and upward.  Planning is underway for another Big Lake event, and a Ft McCoy event.  Stay tuned.  It was fun!  :)

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 3
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2011,19:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Troy for another fine event.  It is always fun playing at Neillsville.  Thanks also to all those who showed and who enabled us to have another fine event.

The two things I thought that really identified this event were the attendance and the weather.  On Saturday we played in a mixture of snow, sleet, and rain with winds over 30mph and the temps in the 27-33 degree range.  Wind chills would have dropped that considerably.  There were some dry moments and in the afternoon it actually didn't feel too bad but overall, not our best weather.  So what!  We as a group continue to deal with what nature gives us and while we can complain, it doesn't seem to stop the majority of us from braving the elements.  Troy can comment on attendance and while I don't think it was a record it was certainly commendable.  I remember prior to the first attack seeing our three squads (23 in total) getting ready on a tree lined path and thinking, wow! this is a pretty good sized attack force.

Finally, while we don't always share as much face time as we do with our own side's players, I want to thank the allies (Soviet and U.S.) for a great game and good gameplay all around.  See you all in June at Big Lake and I sure hope we get some mild weather.  Having played our first three events of the year in winter conditions I am ready for some balmy summer weather.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 4
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2011,19:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alban great pics.

Thanks Todd for hosting some hard fought airsoft battling. I kind of think the weather could have been much worse, I agree that this was the worst that we've endured.
I only got to play on the first day (Saturday). I think the third scenario was my favorite as I felt both sides had started off on pretty even footing and we got to play the whole field (always a real treat). I took up a defensive position between the village and the field and worked that area the whole game. The fighting was sporadic but fierce and I kept expecting a big Jerry offensive to come down from the field and overwhelm our position but it never materialized.
I enjoy continuing to see our attendance numbers rise and the level of play continue to be challenging and fair.
I hope to see most of you at Big Lake as I take the reigns of the Russian command for the first time.

Cheers.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Adam Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2011,09:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great game everyone.  Accurate weather for the ostfront; I could see us getting trenchfoot eventually.  I will claim victory for the partisans since I switched sides and was on the winner's side for the first two scenarios before having to go early.  I don't miss being surrounded by a firing squad at respawn!  Time to get a new battery, having 2-3 shots and then waiting for the battery to get a microcharge limited my engagement second round.  Hopefully will see folks in Big Lake this summer.  So long and thanks for all the frags.
 Post Number: 6
ba64 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2011,19:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Host AAR:

The total number that signed in was 49! Great numbers for a Saturday filled with cold damp weather.  Thank you to all that showed up. The Russian Fuel Depot changed hands 6 or 7 times with the Germans winning. The German Ammo Depot didn't change hands as many times and the Russians took that victory. The last battle of the day ended with (if the numbers are correct) the Russians winning with 5 POWs taken and the Germans taking 1 POW.

Sunday was a much nicer sunny day. The U.S. squad of 5 were the first to take to the field at 6:30am with a squad of 6 Russians coming on the field shortly after. Patrols were sent out to locate the German Army only to find after 45 minutes that there were no German on the battlefield. Disappointing news did make it to the soldiers in the field that there would be no Germans commited to combat that day. After regrouping at the barn barracks, 18 of us continued to play Patrol and Ambush. Those 18 included 2 die hard Germans - thank you.  

A few issues were noted: Whole squads showing up late for the 10am Safety Meeting, A lack of hit taking, Confusion as to the status of dead players with head gear ON and NO dead rag out, Respawns needing to be farther away and hidden from sight and A need to make the battlefield rules less restrictive for the defenders. The large parking lot is not my land and it is important that beer caps, cigarette butts and other trash not be tossed on the ground. I keep a large garbage can near the fire ring and expect ALL trash to go into it.

Troy
 Post Number: 7
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2011,13:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Put a shoebox in the barn and label it littering fund.  Anybody spotted dropping anything (garbage) onto the ground is fined five bucks.  Pay the fine or take a hike.  That might solve the litter problem.  Assign two or three of the senior members to enforce litter ordinances. :)   It's a good idea for Pickerel too.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 8
Fyodor Ivanovich Belov Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2011,14:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great event! This was my fourth MOA game and it was definitely my favorite so far. Nice pictures Alban, i really like some of those shots.

The weather wasnt the greatest, and the wind played havoc with my already inaccurate rifle, but i was happy to get maybe 7 or so kills throughout the weekend. my toes only went numb twice, so im not complaining!

I really liked the pitched infantry battles for the fuel depot and ammo dump, although as others said it would have been nice to have the respawns farther from the objectives. at least both sides got the same experience. probably my favorite occurance was when me and the Americans decided to go rescue Todd, who wed last seen wounded in the field. we thought he might have evaded capture, so we made our way almost into german lines before being spotted by Rekkon. the two of us with AEGs were killed instantly, which left me with a bolt action and another with a springer pistol. we still managed to survive for quite some time before i ran right into one of the Ersatz brothers and my comrade was gunned down by Rekkon. that was an exciting 10 minutes.

this event was notable for my high number of failed grenade throws. i was 0 for 4 in getting any grenade to go where i wanted it to. pretty embarassing.

anyway, i had a good time running with the capitalists for the weekend, and i cant wait to make it to another event. thanks to Troy for the ride and hospitality, i definitely enjoyed sleeping in a heated house.

-Fyodor
 Post Number: 9
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2011,12:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first scenario saw the Allies defending the fuel depot on the south side of the field while the Germans assaulted it from a spawn point midfield.  Command directed our legions of SS to attack through the swampy terrain to the right while the 3rd Panzergrenadiers went around the house’s no-go zone to harass and pin down defenders from the choke point near the bar.  Garrick and Wilhelm went up the middle so we could catch any barn defenders from two sides.  At game on I hustled out ahead but need not have hurried.  Andre, Will and a few others were tucked into the treeline, ceding us the choke point and its items of cover.  This was a key mistake, one that I have seen made before when defending the fuel depot, for it gave us a jumping off point into the woods.  We advanced cautiously, trying to use our rifle advantage, but of course the wind made a mockery of such efforts.  Otto rushed up to the old paintball tank, but two others were cut down when they attempted the same without sufficient speed.  We settled into an attrition match, which eventually swung in our favor, letting us push to the treeline.  I went far left along the fence, getting into a flanking position on several defenders, though I was less effective than I would have liked at eliminating them.  The hop up on my Hexagon PPSh was not working as well as it should have, and the heavy brush was less than ideal for rifle shots.

Soon the Allied respawn rolled around, and it came at a bad time for me.  My PPSh’s magazine was low, and I was in the middle of changing rifle mags.  I did my best to dig in and fire on the incoming horde, but a stray round tagged my hat.  We had taken a few other casualties, so I was worried that the enemy reinforcements would throw us out of the woods before our own could bolster the line.  Back at respawn we discovered that the German clock was sticking.  I fixed it from my watch, and it seemed to behave itself after that (though I only saw it once more).  Looping back through the field with fellow Heer respawnees, we cautiously approached the barn choke point until we recognized German uniforms in the treeline.  We reinforced our fellows and found that the depot was basically ours.  Most of the Allies were again waiting respawn, and Germans were dug in around the depot waiting for them.  I took a big tree up front and waited for the next wave.  We cut it apart pretty quickly, but someone got a good shot into my goggles.

I respawned again and returned for the endgame.  We cut down several more waves, though in one of them several Allies made it to the depot.  Unfortunately they were then assaulted by a group of their own men than had made it up the right flank.  Eventually our SS cleaned them out.  I ended up using my rifle for the most part, picking off the survivors that went to cover rather than banzai charge all the way into oblivion.  Andre gave us some trouble by advancing aggressively on the left when Piper had weapon troubles.  He dropped a fair number of BBs past my head, but I managed to tag him.  Easily my best shot of the scenario was my Gryphon seeking BB.  Near the end, the Soviet commander was one of the few left alive across the field from me.  We both saw each other, and I pulled up a beautiful snap shot right on his center of mass.  Unfortunately Gryphon was already on the move and got clear of the kill zone, at least until the wind caught my BB and pushed it right into him.  Hax!

Scenario 2 was basically the inverse of the first on a different part of the field.  I took Piper and Wilhelm to anchor our right flank up near the woodsman cabin.  That position was tactically valuable as the enemy could use it to fire on us from an elevated position and they had to come past it to get deeper into our flank.  I went prone behind a giant tree and watched the trail.  Very quickly Garrick’s turncoat white partisan hat appeared.  I had the same PPSh issue, so I switched to Mauser and tagged one or two of Garrick’s entourage.  One was only winged, but I shot him again before he could be mediced.  Garrick now began pushing aggressively, and I knew I was in trouble.  He easily pressed into MP44 range and started dropping rounds right next to my head.  I was now playing whack-a-mole with a bolt action.  Not good.  Somehow I managed to get a shot in that forced him to duck just long enough for me to rack another round and sight in on his piece of cover.  When he came up to fire, my Mauser spat 6mm of plastic directly into his forehead.  Garrick complemented my second awesome shot of the event, and I got a little breathing room.  The turncoat soon returned however.  We held him back, but I got eliminated by a Thompson from down slope.  Respawn was relatively quick, and I got right back up there.  Garrick was making for the nearby hilltop bunker, and I tried to direct Wilhelm there first to intercept.  Garrick was hit, but merely wounded.  Some of his men tried to push in behind him, but one of them got wounded as well.  I shot his buddy while he tried to heal him.  Around this time Troy yelled at us for being beyond our perimeter, restrictions that had not been communicated to us.  We fell back, but that dangerously opened our right flank.  With one of the SS guys, we held the shack as long as possible, but a big Allied push cleared us out.  As the last one at the shack, I was forced to hastily fall back twice in an attempt to prevent the flank from folding completely.  I tried to hold out near that depot with the treestand on the right, but enemy fire found me.

By now we knew we were pretty well screwed.  Just as the Russians before us, we had been pushed to our spawn point and surrounded.  The noose was almost finished tightening.  At the next respawn I got up near the ammo depot and started firing on the hostiles encroaching from the right, though I spent as much time yelling at them to get back in bounds and pointing out mine signs.  Crossfire killed me.  The next several respawn cycles basically consisted of us picking one guy and banzai charging him en masse.  The first unfortunate was, I think, Wellnitz’s friend on the far right.  At the signal, I ran forth, grenade ready and PPSh blazing.  Well, except for the last part.  The Hex decided not to fire, so I dropped it and ran up to lob a grenade in the bunker for two kills.  Momentarily surprised that I was still alive, I dropped and fumbled for another grenade before lobbing that one at Oddball.  And to him I must apologize.  I felt nothing this entire time, but I do not see how he could have missed me at that range.  We discussed it, and I went back dead.  So did he, which was almost certainly unnecessary.  Later at Pizza Hut I found a welt (and discovered that the cold had made my legs numb, so that explains that).  We had another mass charge at the American kid with the fur hat on the right.  He fled before us, though it did him no good.  We killed another on the flank and had just a glimmer of hope that a breakout might be possible.  That was until the buttplate fell off my PPSh, I realized that almost no one else was behind me, hostile fire pinned me down, and Troy quickly moved to seal off further maneuver.  Dead again.  For the last charge of which I was a part, we directed our frustration at Troy himself, who was looking awfully alone back behind our spawn point.  He stalwartly held his ground, firing until the end.  Masses of BBs poured at him and sheltering trees let me get close enough to lob a grenade.  Again, we almost broke out on the flank, but as I attempted to push forward and exploit, I was gunned down.  Alban claimed that kill.  Dubious am I.  :p

For the third scenario our HQ was in the northeast bunker complex.  Both sides were trying to capture POWs by overrunning wounded players.  Franz dispatched the SS to the town, and we moved to the field edge to protect our respawn area.  Allies got to the center truck first, while Wilhelm and I hung out by the latrine.  Our leader got into a long range firefight, was wounded, healed, then finished off.  I was too far back for effective fire, so I rushed some barrels that were closer.  This attracted Soviet attention, and Gryphon moved wide into the open to try to flank me.  I switched to my PPSh and gunned him down.  Even better, he went down wounded.  One of the men he left at the truck was wounded too.  I sprayed his would-be healer, but unfortunately managed to kill them both, for which Franz promptly chastised me.  And one of their last BBs must have been inflight, for I was tagged at the end, making it an all around mutual annihilation.  As I walked back to respawn, it was all I could do to bite my tongue.  The field was crawling with Germans, but the slope blocked their view of Gryphon, so, to a man, they all wandered off.  Only Wilhelm, who had been stationed behind me was left knowing of the vulnerable enemy commander.  I willed him to have the initiative to snatch the POW, and as I waited to respawn, he walked a captured Gryphon into base.  Woo!  VIPs are worth extra, right?

Back alive, Franz got us moving back to the field, which was now unguarded.  As we approached, he yelled that another party of Allies were moving down the driveway.  I hustled up to cut them off, arriving at the pile of bricks near the campfire just in time.  I had switched to my Gryphon PPSh, and it spoke eloquently.  They tried to run, but I tagged one or two and another ducked right for the barrels I had occupied earlier.  While I dealt with him Fyodor escaped into the wood, with pistol guy just barely making it in behind him.  I yelled warnings to the other Germans in the area, for I knew we had sentries between the hostiles and base.  I leapfrogged to the latrine and got a few poor shots at the guys in the woods.  This forced them deeper.  I looped around the outside to come up behind them, pushing them further still.  Hammer and anvil time.  Fyodor got eliminated by Franz I believe, and suddenly pistol guy came sprinting back at me.  I took careful aim at his legs, but hit him a few too many times.  Drat, that would have been a good POW.

We spent the rest of the time milling about in the field in a stalemate with a few Allies at the barn chokepoint.  Later a group of respawning SS joined us and flanked around the no-go zone to attack the barn position from the rear.  We pressed it from the front and cleared it out.  We held there until the end of the event when a last minute assault caught us by surprise and wiped us out, leaving only Franz holding the field.  He fled rather than risk capture, and the scenario ended before we could respawn.  The SS had foolishly pushed into the swamp on their own, yielding several POWs to the enemy, so the Allies won this one, 5 to 1, I think.

On Sunday, no Germans were ready for the dawn patrol.  Adam and I were the only ones even on site.  Since there had been talking of cancelling the patrol the night before, I said the heck with it and did not set my alarm.  Troy hustled his men out onto the field where they got to be cold and bored for a half hour or so with no opposition.  With so few Germans remaining, we split up into equal teams and ran some training scenarios instead.  The first two were patrol and ambush.  One team set up on the field and the other patrolled until they found them.  We had patrol first, and I volunteered to walk point under the logic that an experienced player that knew the field was most likely to spot the ambush in time.  We walked virtually the entire field from the fuel depot to the Russian bunker and through the village without contact.  I felt sure we were going to get engaged crossing the northeast swamp, but we got across without incident.  By now I was extra cautious.  The enemy almost had to be up ahead.  Sure enough, I managed to spot Morkova.  Continuing normally, I put a tree between us before giving “enemy spotted” hand signals to the squad and getting them moving around the left.  I then calmly moved up another tree and went prone.  Unslinging my Mauser, I inched it around the tree, fiddled briefly to get a clear line of sight and fired.  I was convinced I had missed, but my target got up and pulled a kill rag.  Thus was my third awesome rifle shot of the event.  Things were quiet for a bit, but our left soon started trading fire.  We pinned each other in place for a while, trading a few casualties.  Then I saw movement behind the enemy position and yelled a warning, assuming hostiles were moving around to meet us.  Instead, I spotted a German uniform and realized it was our right flank sweeping in behind our foes.  They were swiftly eliminated, though in the confusion I fired on a guy near the bunker that just happened to be on my team.  Oops.

Next up our team had the ambush role.  I suggested we set up behind the slight ridge behind the fuel depot as it provided good cover and pretty much prevented the enemy from coming up behind us.  Troy agreed, and we got everyone in position.  Taking a cue from Gryphon, Troy and I walked the approach to the depot to see which of our soldiers were visible and corrected accordingly.  We did not have to wait long.  Gryphon brought his team down the fenceline, straight into us.  I was positioned to watch the trail and did not have LOS until their pointmen were well into our killzone.  When our right opened fire, I crawled to a better tree to contribute my fire.  I soon had to crawl back as Gryphon led an element toward our left flank.  The brush and their movement made it very difficult to hit them, but I finally managed to tag Hap.  Gryphon escaped deep into our flank, but I had more pressing AEG threats in his wake.  I had also positioned Wilhelm behind me to watch that direction, and he eventually eliminated the threat.  Shortly after Maddy managed to tag me from the fuel depot, making me the first casualty on my team.  I walked off to observe the rest of the fighting.  Gryphon’s left flank was blunted and soon reduced to a single soldier.  Troy must have redeployed some of our guys to meet the threat on the left, and attrition went against them as well.  Soon only the one American was left.  He managed to kill Troy when our team advanced, but the numbers left against him were overwhelming.

The next skirmish had our team trying to clear the village.  Things got off to a bad start when one of our guys was eliminated early, and Troy got nailed with a defensive grenade.  Our attack immediately bogged down, so I said ‘frak this’, pulled two grenades and rushed along the south side, to set up at the roofless building near the outhouse.  We quickly noted at least one guy in the machine shed, and I yelled at Fyodor and Wilhelm to flank around and grenade him.  BB fire got the defender, and Wilhelm grenaded the place to be sure.  We had cleared the barn on our way in, so now our attention turned to the multiple guys in the building next to it.  I was nearly eliminated by someone with a pistol in the chicken coop, and had to encouraged/yell at Wilhelm to move up aggressively to grenade that structure as well.  By now someone had noticed a hostile in the brown building I had bypassed.  I went back to try to find a way to clear it, but the occupant tossed a grenade out the door that got me.  We then watched Wilhelm try to finish the fight on his own, but he got grenaded by one of his own that we did not know was still alive.  The last guy tried to work his way close but got exploded himself.

I took the same roofless building for our defense, and the enemy came at us from all three directions.  Two approached cautiously from the field, and I tried to sucker them in, but Wilhelm opened fire early and they fell back.  I managed to pick one off, leaving only the guy with a springer M14.  I hopped to the guard shack with the intent of moving aggressively against him, but unknown to me, Hap was hidden to the east and sprayed me down.  Ug, dead first again.  I walked up to join the dead enemy, and we watched the rest of the fight from the hill.  Our team won, but it was close.  I believe Fyodor and Troy were left at the end, facing the elusive Hap.

Overall it was not our most enjoyable event, mostly thanks to the weather, but I had fun, and that is the important thing, quiaff?  Thanks to the event organizers for putting it on, and Gryphon especially for fixing my SGS PPSh.  It felt backwards to fall back on that weapon after my primary disappointed.  :p  It was good to see and play with everyone, even if all our German comrades abandoned us to the Allied hordes Sunday.

The respawn issue was already mentioned, so I will only bring up communication, which struck me a poor for the entire event.  There was of course the “defense perimeter” issue (with which I disagreed), but beyond that we lacked detailed instructions pretty much all day.  I did not know exactly what we were trying to accomplish during the first scenario or if we had any reason to leave our base during the POW skirmish.  The two-day event did not work out as well this time around, but we might be able to blame at least some of that on the weather.  Be it one day or two, I plan to attend next April.
8 replies since Apr. 17 2011,12:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply East Meets West AAR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code