Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ft. McCoy 2011 AAR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2011,00:32  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, the 2nd Annual Fort McCoy MOA event is now in the history books and I have to apologize for giving a faulty weather forecast.  Apparently next time I should consider humidity and dew point levels before I predict pleasant playing weather.  The U.S. Military has HeatCat warnings which they kept broadcasting to the different range fields and the HeatCat for Saturday was the worst they recognize.  Near 100% humidity and higher than predicted temps had us dripping in perspiration at the slightest exertion.  It was miserable, sticky, hot, and nary a breeze.  Sorry about sounding rosy in an earlier post.

Still, by pacing ourselves and having plenty of water and a barracks in case it was needed (which for two people it was)  the event was fun.

Total attendance was just 17 which was disappointing considering the earlier rsvps.  Still, those that showed were consistent MOA regulars and I am starting to believe that smaller games might actually be more fun as it is the people you play with and not so much the numbers.

Friday night was camping and camaraderie and Saturday morning was for the usual game set up procedures.  These take a little longer at McCoy as we must set up checkpoints and objectives, etc. on the day of field ownership.  The first battle started promptly at 10am and was an excellent skirmish.

First Skirmish - Approach to Kharkov 1941 - This battle was the only German victory of the event.  It didn't seem as though it would be though as the German attacks continued to be blunted by stubborn Soviet defenders.  After a grueling hour and a half of battle in the heat the German defensive checkpoint finally spotted "Natasha" (the Russian armor) across the high grassy fields and she was sheltered in a tree line away from their objective.  She had been used primarily (and effectively) in defense and we suspected that she was prepping for an assault.  The Pak was out of range and as the German commander I decided it was time for a motorized infantry assault.  I jumped into the seat of our 38 Ford artillery limber truck and loaded a group of 4 other soldaten and drove thru 4 foot high swamp grass towards an exit road.  I turned one way hoping to fool the Russian armor, drove a quarter mile and then turned completely around and hightailed in the opposite direction.  My plan was to approach the Russian objective away from their screen of rifle armed snipers, disembark the squad, and assault their checkpoint with surprise.  As I rounded a curve and got within about 100 yards of the objective I saw the Russian armor directly in front of me but facing away.  I hadn't intended on getting that close and was surprised myself so I brought the truck to a screeching halt and yelled for everyone to bail.  The Russians were caught off guard and went running for cover.  A firefight ensued and I traded shots with a sniper who was running to guard their checkpoint.  I shot him and since I had outrun the gun battle behind me I brashly advanced towards the objective suspecting no more defenders and was proven correct.  It was a rare airsoft moment for me as I was able to signal on the air horn an end to the skirmish that had proved so difficult up until then.  Side note - I didn't know it until after the skirmish but the Russian armor had driven up on a concrete pile in the grass and was stuck.  The Russians were busy trying to move it during the surprise assault.  I'm glad it was facing away from us.  38 Ford's with flathead V8's are very quiet vehicles.  The Russians didn't hear us at all ahead of seeing us at the last minute.

Kharkov 1943 - Kharkov recaptured by the Reds -  With that first victory we had stirred up a hornet's nest as Russian tactics and fighting ability only seemed to improve.  Their first defeat certainly had not sapped their morale.  We moved to different field objectives and a German assault force of five headed into a tree lined field while four remained on defense.  The Russian attack quickly decimated our attack and they pushed hard on the remaining defenders.  I died to a grenade in this one as my lone PPsh couldn't hold off a half squad of Russian riflemen supported by a lend-lease Thompson.  This skirmish lasted only about one hour and by then it was decided to take an afternoon siesta for lunch and with the vain hope that pushing the day back would allow for cooler temps.

Germans recapture Kharkov - Historically they did but not at this event.  At 5:30pm we started the third skirmish and history was not repeated.  This was however, an excellent skirmish.  The German checkpoint was in a thick area of vegetation more suited for a Vietnam game and the Russians occupied high ground near grassy more open field areas.  No Armor in this one as the Russian commander wanted more infantry on the ground and both sides exchanged tons of small arms fire in between the targeted objectives.  I died three times in this one but all my deaths were within scant yards of the Russian target.  I had a memorable moment when I had advanced several hundred yards undetected for the third time in this skirmish and come upon a nest of carefree and unsuspecting soviets.  Four of them were casually reloading and jaw-jacking behind the rear door of Natasha and I had a good 30-40 yard shot so I popped up and unloaded several long bursts into them from some brush.  I only killed one although later, a second confided that I had struck the magazine of his Stg44 and so he swapped out mags.  I then ducked into some heavy vegetation and did my ostrich impression.  The heat and mosquitoes were getting to me and I simply could see anymore.  Most of the Russians I had shot at left the area but one remained and after several minutes he bang killed me.  I was so fogged up that he essentially walked right up on me and taking pity he said, bang?  He wasn't sure if I was Russian or not.  I laughed and jumped up and said, "Thanks, these mosquitoes  are getting to me and I can't see anymore."  I headed back to the German spawn and on the way I parlayed with the Russian commander who agreed to a draw as we realized both sides had reached a degree of exhaustion.  No win, but better than a loss.

Russians advance towards Kiev. - Sunday morning.

The last skirmish still had 12 of the original 17 and we played a single elimination 6 vs.6 game.  We switched the day one skirmish one objectives and this game lasted about 90 minutes.  Lots of fire exchanged and some maneuver.  The Russian marksmen were too much in the end and took the day.  I died early in this one by a really good rifle shot (Jordan) from a distance as I was running.  

OBSERVATIONS - For the first day of this event we decided to go rifle heavy and there was but one aeg per side during the first three skirmishes.  Lots and lots of rifle skirmishing made for some real fun play.  Russian riflemen have come a long way since the days of a couple of years ago when they were very uncommon in the Russian arsenal.  As a German player I'm getting a frustrating understanding of what they put up with for some time.

The Russians unveiled a new longer barrel panzerfaust that Gryphon is constructing which should outdistance the ones the Germans are using.  It looked very nice.  I don't understand the need for it though as the Germans don't have any Armor.  ;)

Fireguard - As we were on a military base and in possession of one of their ranges, radio contact with range control had to be maintained.  This necessitated the requirement of monitoring radio communications at all hours.  Hence, for both Friday and Saturday nights I had to assign individuals radio duty.  As Commander and event organizer I declined a shift myself preferring to build character among the younger cadre of players.  For those who haven't had the delight of being awakened at 2am, 3am, 4am, and being told to monitor a radio, it really is a fun experience.  It added to the immersion and to the battle fatigue one experiences thru sleep deprivation.

The Field - The field choice this year was better than last.  It had lots of great variety and the open areas were armored car heaven.  Still there were thicker areas and medium areas of cover and the terrain was as good as the Big Lake, MN field that we use.

The 6th SS - Four of the newer 6th SS players did make this event and were plagued with weapons teething problems.  They made up for their lack of experience with high spirit and good-natured attitudes.  Cairo1 has tinkered with his improved G43 which Lumpybob now owns and has it almost ready for full skirmishing having perfected one 20 round magazine for the gun.  Two more, and he will have it ready.

Target practice - The pak had no chances to range out shots as Troy (owner of the ba64) failed to present himself as a target.  Now some say that this is because he is a good tactician and a wily competitor.  Not me though.  I think it shows a timid nature. :)   Anyways, a lot of the newer Germans hadn't witnessed the pak so we fired off a slew of rounds from a distance and gave them a little gunnery practice.  Lots of fun.

A big Thank You to all who take the time to show up at events.  There should be some good photos forthcoming as both Alban Schonberg and Erin (Paul Rech's friend) took plenty of photos.  I also believe Duncan sat out a skirmish to grab a camera.  Also thanks to Erin for being the radio person on Saturday during the battles.  Finally, a thank you to Fort McCoy for giving us the opportunity to play there.  New maps are great, the personnel are friendly and curious about what we do and plenty of helicopters took low passes to (I would like to believe) check us out.  We've got some younger players planning on a military career as well as a recent Afghan vet and other Vets in the group and being on post always brings back memories.

Though attendance this year was smaller than last there were still enough voluntary contributions to allow for a small donation to a Fort McCoy charity which Ersatzjack will submit to the Fort with his After-Action to the public affairs people.

Next week will be the Iola Military Show for Ersatzjack, Paul Rech, ba64, and myself and that is always a great event.  Otherwise, see you folks at Neillsville in October.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2011,11:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another great event by the MOA. The weather was a little rough on Saturday but Sunday was much better.  The terrain was rough, the open fields with clumps of trees turned out to be wonderful infantry ground as the many deep ridges and pockets provided cover even in the open.  However, this really restricted vehicle movement as any driver would have to take it slow to cover the terrain with infantry hiding in every hole.  Thanks to the German team who were here, you made a great team, a special thanks to the SS for your hospitality, and Paul Rech for letting me use your wwi helmet, it was a memorable experience. And a final thanks to the Russian team, I enjoyed being hunted by you in the final scenario :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2011,14:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once again, many thanks to the Ersatzjacks for organizing another event and Ft. McCoy for letting us play on their land.  As Franz mentioned, it was miserably hot and humid, and after three events of such weather I am seriously looking forward to Stalingrad II.  :)

The event was set up to be a sequence of “push” scenarios.  There were five points, but they could only be taken in sequence.  We started the day with the Russians at point 3 and the Germans at point 2.  Each side tried to take the other’s sandbag on a stick.  When one succeeded, that would end the scenario, with the loser getting “pushed back” one step, though his strict sequence was rather quickly abandoned in favor of getting to use different terrain.  Before the game, I noticed that the new SS players were rifle heavy and that Andre’s group also had some homemade rifles.  Sensing the opportunity to have a unique event, I quickly proposed that we made the game as rifle heavy as possible.  Everyone agreed, and each side only fielded three automatics.  The result was a very different and very enjoyable experience.

At game-on I was attached to the SS fireteam, which was placed on offense.  We moved out onto our right flank toward a trail that led to the Russian point.  I very quickly became conscious of our new members’ relative inexperience.  Nothing against it, we all had to learn the ropes, but the fireteam’s movement as a whole was clumsy and laborious.  I subordinated myself the SS squadleader but could not refrain from chastising their spacing more than once.  After we got on the trail, I knew we had to pick up the pace, so I usurped point duty and got moving.  As we crested a small rise, I heard the snick of a rifle and a BB ricocheted off my Mauser stock.  I yelled “good shot” and walked off under a kill rag.  This also brings up a point that came to light later in the event and from Franz’s own AAR.  We need to clarify how the MOA handles weapon hits.  The MOA’s rule used to be that weapon hits eliminate the player.  I was operating under this and informed one of the SS guys to that effect later in the day.  I know that many other airsoft groups ignore weapon hits or have them disable the weapon itself while leaving the player alive.  After double checking the posted official rules, I see that we have “weapon-in-hand” hits may be ignored.  Perhaps we should open discussion on this particular point?

Things seemed pretty quiet back at respawn.  Natasha had not made an immediate push across the open field.  Otto and Franz were guarding our point with the PAK.  When I came back in, I moved out into the field to support Wellnitz and one of our MP40 gunners who were trading fire.  It was at this point that I had the first realization of how different the rifle game was going to be.  In airsoft a rifle exchange is quiet.  We are used to tuning into the whine of AEGs.  A few “snicks” every minute draw a lot less attention.  Drawing near, Wellnitz motioned for me to get down, and I spotted Jordan firing at us from behind a large tree.  Move of the SS had come back dead by now and two of them joined me.  We swept left, moving quickly and at right angles to the enemy to make ourselves difficult targets.  I took tree, kept moving to another and yelled at our guys to do the same.  Everyone tended to settle into a static battle, but there were only one or two Russians opposing us.  As we started to push, the two enemy riflemen ran back.  We followed, and I think someone tagged Jordan at some point.  About now Natasha started up and rolled toward us.  I could see Gryphon slinking along behind it, so I put several shots on him.  He quickly ducked sideways behind cover, popping out to return plastic.  After several more rounds, I managed another officer kill, but Natasha was still coming, so I got out the panzerwurfmine.  I had been both shooting and yelling, so I figured the BA-64 knew I was there.  This was going to get interesting.  I put a few shots at Maddie in the turret.  As the car approached, I saw the rest of the Germans start to fall back, and I yelled “Soldaten hold!”  That stabilized the front, but Natasha was coming straight for me with the turret in my direction.  Here we go…  Then Troy turned about 90 degrees to pursue my fleeing komeraden.  The turret tracked onto them as well, and I realized that they did not know I was there.  I let Natasha continue until I could rush her blind spot.  A textbook rush and wurfmine lob latter, the motherland had one less armored car.  I even survived the attack this time, though Alban later told me he was desperately trying to down me as I charged.  I was unaware of his fire and then sheltered behind the fresh wreck.

The open field now settled into a sort of sniper war.  You knew riflemen were out there, but you saw nothing.  Every so often someone would try to advance or a new person would blunder too close.  Then there was a rifle snick and someone died.  It was the quietest battle I have ever been in.  Gryphon returned as I was trying to fire and maneuver against others and got me with a nice shot.  I saw him just a hair too late, and as I went to ground, his BB caught the top of my service cap.  By now I was overheated and exhausted.  Good riddance wool tunic.  Bleh.  I rested and hydrated for a bit, then got back out into the field.  Casualties on both sides had quieted things down, but Wellnitz and the SS MP40 gunner were still out there.  I got in behind them and a moment later we took fire from the center-right.  They promptly relocated, and I spotted what I was sure was Gryphon under a small pine.  The shot was difficult as I had to thread it through a dead stump.  One magazine later I had gotten a few into the tree, but there was absolutely no reaction from the target.  I guess it was a stump after all.  That sort of thing was common as we few riflemen lurked in the field.  You came up just far enough to see through the grass, but then was that flash of movement someone’s arm behind a tree or the wind moving grass tassels in your field of vision.  You needed the eyes of a hawk to spot danger before it spotted you.  I had crawled up to the offending stump to get a better shot, though by then I had begun to suspect I had been in error.  As I lurked, there was a rifle shot off to my 3 o’clock.  Startled, I turned to see the top of a Russian cap in the grass.  He was firing at German reinforcements and unaware of my position, so I took a breath and carefully lined up my sights.  Andre got up dead from the headshot and walked off.  An SS player came up from our rear, and I waved him onto our right flank.  A moment later there was a short automatic burst that cut him down.  Great.  Wellnitz had been eliminated, which left only two of us (that I knew about) holding the line.  Reenforcements were few and far between, and to top it all off Natasha had come back, though she was lurking in the field up ahead.  Gryphon was back and sneaky as ever.  I put a few shots on him through the brush, but failed to get a kill.  His return fire was accurate (though not quite enough to get me), and another hidden rifleman was shooting at me from the center.  With the unknown automatic on my now open right, it was time to relocate.  I booked it back to a solid tree, determined to dig in.  A few more plastic bits were traded ineffectually with Gryphon before he went quiet.  Always a bad sign, but I had other pressing matters, like the center sniper.  Another rifleman had taken a shot at me from center-right as well.  I finally managed to spot the middle guy, who turned out to be Alban.  We had a merry round of sniper whack-a-mole where life and death was a matter of moments and millimeters.  His rounds whacked into my tree and whizzed by my head, as I am sure mine did to him.  Finally I had my sights zeroed in on his tree and fired as he came around for another round.  His call of “hit” was satisfying.  Still no Gryphon, but I managed to spot Dom under the same pine that held the Gryphon-imitating stump.  A few rounds and I had another kill.  Now the worrying could begin in earnest as I tried to locate the Russian commander.  After a few minutes I heard a faint “snick” and the soft “whizz” of a BB in uncomfortable proximity to my head.  Wheeling around, I spotted the sneaky one at our six and kissed the dirt.  My return shots were hasty, but my yelled warning properly redirected the attention of our sub-gunner, who hosed down the problem.

I was now reasonably sure the immediate area was clear for the moment and wanted to take advantage of that to gain some ground.  I signaled the sub gunner to move up with me and we took some trees.  I caught more glimpses of Natasha and thought that they saw me too, so I started to crawl to a tree on the left, hoping to be able to get around and close in on the armored car.  Natasha started up again, presumably this is when she moved and got stuck.  I got to my tree and by now the Russian infantry were returning.  I saw Gryphon again but failed to get the kill.  It was obvious he had others with him.  A short while later I heard a rifle fire and a BB impacted my tree.  Great, they got a bead on me.  Another shot hit the tree next to me.  Hmmmm…  A third then hit the next tree over.  Ah, recon by fire.  I see what you are doing there.  There was brush noise to my left, so I sighted in there and spotted an approaching helmet.  Snick.  Ding!  I was rewarded with a very bell-like report and an immediate return BB to the goggles.  Very counter-sniper.  It felt like those sniper movies where the other guys knows his enemy is there and is just waiting for him to fire so he can finish zeroing in.

I walked to back to spawn to find virtually our entire team clustered behind the back.  Are you kidding me?  This is exactly when I would expect Andre to pop out from a bush and hose everyone.  Dead men do not make annoyed comments though, so I sat down to rest and hydrate.  This was when Franz loaded up a bunch of people into the truck and took off.  I was left Otto and I think one SS guy to guard the point.  I could see Russian infantry and Natasha to our east, and there was a buzz of activity when, I assume, Franz showed up with surprise blitzkrieg.  After that the end-horn was blown.

The German victory now meant the fight moved to points 4 and 3.  I quickly set out fortifying the position with all the evil at my disposal.  Point 3 was near and intersection of two straight trails.  The PAK was positioned to cover both, and I dropped Teller mines to block the two most likely avenues of vehicle approach.  I also set up my mortar, hoping that Natasha would try to push with some infantry support.  This was pretty much all for naught.  Three of us stayed on defense.  Our attackers elected to enter the forest in tight little bunch and were promptly annihilated.  Sensing weakness, the Russians pushed hard and fast.  I could see them advancing in the forest along the trail but only had time to drop one mortar round.  Close, but no banana.  After that I was compelled to get behind a tree with my rifle.  Shwank was waved forward from the pack, and we both did our best to cover Franz, who was holding the big cement block alone with his PPSh.  Gryphon charged and there was mutual death.  Grenades were involved.  Another enemy ran up, but I was unable to get the lead correct.  Troy rush up, and I was again unable to get correct deflection in time.  He touched the magic goal-post to make it a Russian win.  This annoyed me considerably, which I expressed to Otto.  German respawns were just about to get back in the fight, and with two well-placed riflemen, control of the area around the point was still very much in question.  As a more milsim minded player, I very much did not like the insta-win victory condition.  For subsequent scenarios, Otto decided to change it so that the attackers had to untie the sandbag, set it on the ground for five seconds, then retie it to win.  

The 3-4 scenario was over in a flash, which technically would have put us back to the 2-3 setup of the first scenario.  Instead we moved to 5-4, a new, thicker corner of the field.  The Germans decided to sit tight on defense.  I moved a bit around on the line, but it was quiet for a long time.  Finally we saw some movement in the woods, but even after that it took a while for gunfire to start.  Otto moved off solo on the right.  I heard a few rifle shots, then a Russian called hit.  I grabbed a tree that I thought would give me a good position and, I suppose in a way, it did.  There was some more fire and Otto came back dead.  Things got quiet.  And then Troy screamed endex.  The heck?  Where did my team go?  All dead apparently.  Me thinks we needed better communication on this one.  At least I survived.

After a needed break, we moved to points 1 and 2, which put us in a very thick corner of the field.  I was assigned a few guys and at game-on we advanced on our right.  The brush was very dense, so I pulled my pistol for the worst of it.  We heard Natasha rumbling around, and I diverted my squad back toward the trail, worried that she might try to flank us.  I finally broke out into the more open area on the Russian’s left flank, which was where I wanted to be.  As I moved, I heard an AEG open fire and realized it was directed at me.  I high tailed it to a tree, which was when I spotted Gryphon.  Apparently we had emerged on their far flank, which let us get clear of the brush before being engaged.  I put several shots into the brush and was rewarded with a cry of “hit!”  Then I saw Jordan moving to block us.  We traded rifle fire, and I encouraged Aldrich to move up on my right.  Along with one of the SS, we “rolled” along the Russian flank.  Jordan fell back, but that AEG was still out there.  We kept moving, and I spotted Natasha parked behind the flag.  A quick glance told me it was probably not being used.  I called for movement and told Aldrich to cover me.  He started to run back to where he had stashed the panzerfaust, and I had to yell at him to leave it.  I figured the chances were good that I would get shot, but I could not miss the opportunity to end this thing quickly.  Plus, who knew when Gryphon was going to respawn.  As I rushed, an AEG opened up.  Aldrich fired back, and I got to the flag in one piece.  Just as I went to untie it though, another automatic opened up on me from brush behind the flag.  I hit the dirt and shot back with my pistol.  I could see someone moving, but Troy got the kill with a BB to the cheek.

I trudged the long way back to our flag and sat out for several long minutes.  The heat had been getting to me for a while, and I was seriously doubting that I was going to go back in.  I finally did though, looping behind our point to inform Schwank that he did not have to sit on the PAK because Natasha was not being used.  I then loitered on the trail behind us.  Call it guard duty.  Paid off too.  I spotted a Russian on the trail to our east.  He took cover when I saw him, but my nonchalant attitude must have confused him, because he tried via hand signals to ask if I was dead.  I finally got it and shook my head “no.”  I yelled a warning.  There had been automatic fire near our flag very recently.  I thought Otto had gone down, but it turns out he had killed a sneaking Andre.  More Russians were now closing in.  I spotted Jordan through some brush, but it effectively shielded him from my rifle until he took cover.  Otto began to move against the attackers, using his MG34 to saw into the brush.  I moved into the brush with one purpose in mind:  grenades.  I had a rough idea where the enemy was, so I started popping pea grenades and lobbing them into the brush.  No reaction from the first one or two, but when I threw the next one I heard Gryphon yell “Incoming grenade!  Move!”  No “hit!” though.  Otto fired and took down an enemy.  Down to one exploding pea grenade, I pulled the cap and put it in my teeth.  I advanced cautiously through the brush, P38 in my left hand, rifle in my right.  Suddenly AEG fire came out of the brush right in front of me as I came up rise.  Miraculously I was not hit, and I threw myself to the ground.  Instantly I pulled the lanyard on my last grenade and lobbed it into the brush.  It blew and Maddie got up dead.  She had me dead to rights, but the brush must have deflected things just right.  Later she asked me if I had heard her squeak of surprise when my grenade landed (I had not).  That threat clear, I kept moving, sweeping the high ground.  As I crested the ridge, I looked to my right and saw Jordan prone behind a fallen log.  He was looking back at me, so I immediately swung my rifle onto him and advanced a few paced before saying “bang”.  It might have been a few more than 10 feet, but it was a clear cut bang kill situation.  Jordan said he was out of ammo and basically just waiting to die.  In retrospect, I should have played it up a bit and “butt stroked” the helpless enemy to take him prisoner.  &#61514;

I kept sweeping and ran into Otto, so it seemed like the area between us was now communist-free.  One of the SS on the road yelled a warning though.  That Russian from before was still over there.  Otto went left and I went right.  I thought I had a good position on the enemy when suddenly there was an exploding grenade “whump!”  The target then notified us that it had blown about 8 feet away, but not hit him with a BB.  He was wondering if he was dead.  We informed him he was.  He came back to the road and asked directions back to point 2.  With Otto off guard duty, I returned to the flag/bag to sit watch.  Other Germans came back dead behind me, including Otto, so I began to worry.  After a while it seemed like my whole team was lounging dead back at the truck, chatting away.  I heard brush noise behind me and spotted Dom walking casually through the woods.  I thought he might be dead at first, but I was not going to risk anything on it.  I sighted in on him and waited for a clear shot, but it was deflected by brush.  So was my second.  Dom rushed for cover, and I was forced to suppress him so I could scramble behind my own tree.  I was preparing to pull my very last grenade (non-exploding), when he broke cover and tried to run east.  I got in two shots and got the deflection right on the second.  That one had a good “thwack” to it.  Now I was really paranoid, and I could hear Gryphon’s voice off to the east.  Directing troops no doubt.  So I yelled “Hilfe komeraden!” but no one came to my aid.  Shortly after, our leaders called endex and declared the scenario a draw.

By Sunday, I was thoroughly sick of being hot and filthy and did not want to put that uniform back on.  Plus I had to get all of my gear repacked in at least a vague sense of order and face the long drive home, so I did not participate in the last skirmish.  The numbers and weather were disappointing, but now that I am again rested and clean I can call it a good event.

Some thoughts:
1. We should have gone over the MOA rules in detail at the beginning of the event since we had new players.  Even those that have played with us several times had questions (like the Russian with the pea grenade).  I know we have gotten used to being able to gloss things over because all/most of us have played before, but it caused issues this time around.
2. Given the weather and low player count, I feel we tried to play on too much area.  This was complicated by the relatively quick respawns (every five minutes).  It seemed to me you had to pull a “one trick pony” (truck blitz, solo sneaker, rapid team wipe) to have much of a chance at victory.  Regular battle only produced casualties, fatigue and stalemate.
3. As expressed in my AAR, the initial capture/victory conditions annoyed me.  I realize we would have won the fourth scenario had they not been changed, and for all I know were the reason we won in the first, but I am still happy they got changed to something more realistic.
4. Given the huge areas we get at McCoy, I think we are passing on a great opportunity to run different kinds of events, especially since none of us get to play with a familiarity of the terrain.  I will probably start another brainstorm thread to see what people think.  Maybe I am just crazier than usual.

Lost:
1 Teller mine with anti-tampering device.  
A big wooden disk painted green.  It should have been in the grass, just north of the east-west trail north of point 3.  We walked the area several times and did not find it.  It should not have been that difficult to find, which makes me wonder if someone moved it.
 Post Number: 4
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2011,16:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a fantastic time this last weekend, Fort McCoy has quickly moved to the top of the list for favorite places to play.

Big thanks to Mike and Steve for organizing the game and to Fort McCoy for letting us play on their beautiful and expansive property. It was great to see all the new German players, you all showed a lot of potential and enthusiasm.
I loved the rifle battles, it changed the dynamic of the whole playing experience. I'm really glad Rekkon thought to bring it up and I hope we get a chance to do that again.

In some ways I agree with Rekkon about the field being too large for the number of players we had on hand but then thinking back to last year and how spread out we had been I think we've made a positive step in the right direction. I especially liked that the fields had clear boundaries, if you came to a road you knew that was the edge of the play area. For future events we play there we could use flags or white posts in addition to the roads to define smaller portions of the field if our numbers are on the smaller side. If we had the numbers we had last year I think the field size would have been perfect.

This event has become one of the things I look forward to like Christmas and my birthday. Thanks again to everyone who came out to play. Looking forward to seeing you all in October.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Schwank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2011,16:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Phew, that was a great weekend, burning sun and pricker bushes aside. IT was great fun getting to see the BA64 and ford truck in action, and so much more fun getting a ride into combat.

First skirmish.
Our team was positioned at point 2 as the Russians won the coin flip for point 3. our four SS men and the 3PzG pioneer moved up on what was supposed to be a flanking attack.
after moving through heavy brush we decided to use the road to get around a heavy thicket. i had point and we moved up the road in a staggered line. as we were preparing to move off the road our pio said he wanted point and promptly was shot by a Russian riflemen. we attempted to get off the road as fast as possible and in the process loosing many of the new grenades we just acquired. I was shot in the thicket after attempting to spot out the Russians. i learned that my brother who was our PzF man had lost the cone to the faust. we trailed the road looking for it and some of the nades we lost. he found the cone i had no luck and we went back to base. after spawning i was promptly shot in the chest by a Russian while looking back at mike. after re-spawning again i moved up with Steve to try and attack the Russians we were sniped out again and i used up both of my groups smokes trying to make some head way. i shot one man, and certainly surprised them. On my 3rd life we decided to assault the Russian possession truck board. i was assigned the panzer faust and given a P38 for defense. after dropping in on the armored car i promptly fired my faust. the Nerf round flopped out of the barrel. I jumped down pulling my P38 and then a fellow German and i noticed the Ford was rolling backward. I braced the truck as he tried to figure out how to put it in park. Troy steadfastly approached the truck wielding Molotov foam-tails. i opened fire on him with my 38 while also bracing the truck i shot him just as the game ended making my second kill, or maybe not depends on how you view the end of the game. i hear all these people shouting Andex. Andex? what the hell is that i thought maybe it is a Russian battle cry?
END EXERCISE

game 2 i was made PAK crewman thanks to pre game training. i excitedly waited hoping to get a PAK kill. there i waited patiently until the Russians advanced on the point i grabbed my rifle and no magazines having dropped my gear earlier. i hit one Russian and then ran out of ammo. without much else to do i shot blankly at the Russians hoping to suppress them. no luck Troy grabbed the point i looked like.

due to weather conditions we decided to move forward into the shade and the days blistering heat was nothing any one wanted.

game 3 we decided to wait out the Russians in hopes of tiering them out and then pushing onto them. we spent a long period of waiting around, i decided to make my self comfortable and sat back in a nice little hole i found, it may have been infested with mosquitoes, but so was everywhere else. after a waiting around for a while the Russians moved up I finally saw action on the left flank. facing an AEG i tried to snipe out the man i saw but had little effect. my rifle was hit and i called it out of action not knowing weather i was dead or if i hand to use backups. i dropped my rifle and removed the caps from two nades i tried to move up and was promptly pined my Troy i tried to prone away but i exposed my back side and after a few seconds of rounds whizzing around my head and hitting the grass next to me i caught one in my behind. i fell back to re-spawn and before i was live a gain we had lost.

after a Short but very fun break in which we crammed 6 people into the ford and drove out for some nice refreshments. we began the dusk game.
we went to point 1 the last German line and launched our offense. i was again put as PAK man and waited a good while to be told later that Natasha was not in play. I hesitantly moved up throwing one nade in the process. i saw an awesome Nade assault from our pio as he unleashed a vicious volley of raw fear upon the enemy. I continued up the road waiting for my brother as reinforcement we moved up upon gryphon who shot my brother i tried stalking my way up however the game was called a draw as I was making the final closing moves. to the kill or death i have no idea.

fire guard was again fun i had 2 calls from range control. i had some kind of allergic reaction and Mike Graciously brought me over to the barracks on angels wings. i honestly cannot express how grateful i am for this action. My deepest thanks Sir.

i spent the next morning policing up our camp. and looking over our broken and jammed arms.
I owe one cleaning rod to Troy.

I learned quite a bit about how i must peform diffrently inorder to be effective.

All in all it was a blast. i hope to have many more opportunities to fraternize with these great men.

--------------
"Just yell something in German and spray them with BBs"-Steve
"I Like the way this sucks"-Me
"Only lost is he who gives up on himself " H.U.R.
 Post Number: 6
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2011,21:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've enjoyed reading all the comments so far.

Wolfgang, your AAR was by far one of the best you've written.  It had a good flow to it and I couldn't stop reading it, like a good novel.

In regards to field size, I didn't see a problem.  I'm not downplaying your concern but consider that while the overall field was large we usually confined ourselves to areas between just two of the five objectives.  Clearly it was a vast improvement over last year.  Perhaps with more moderate weather the field would have seemed just right.  There were points in the game where I felt traversing 20 yards would have been too much.  You're spot on regarding the instant victory conditions though and I think we did fix that mid game.  Regarding your 4th point about brainstorming an idea for McCoy scenarios... your input is always welcome.  You come up with great ideas and we'll probably incorporate part if not all of what you come up with.  Heck, makes our jobs easier.

--------------

Post Number: 7
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2011,11:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again to all the attendees and overall I think the event went very well.  I really liked that we missed no radio checks and checking off the base on Sunday was without a hitch so that pleased me immensely.  Good work MOA.

My combat exeriences are sort of covered in others AAR's and here is a brief recap.

1st scenario - guard the German VP location with my rifle and Pak 38.  No action.  Just saw it all play out and was surprised as anyone when our truck assault actually worked.   :)

2nd scenario - was part of initial assault force with my rifle and was quickly eliminated and respawned just in time to see our VP location captured.  My least favorite scenario.  Bleh!  (stealing a phrase)

3rd scenario - initially defended VP location but got restless and went on solo rifle hunt and encountered 3-enemy.  Shot one and then had Andre dead to rights, missed with my grenade and was too close for another rifle shot and little did I know he was having weapon malfunction/ammo problems and surrendered.  By the time I respawned, our point had once again fallen to Troy.  Seemed as though he really knew how to find and hug our sandbag VP locations.  After the event saw huge bb welt on his left arm.  Very nasty looking so he paid the price along the way.  He's always a very worthy but troublesome opponent out there.

4th scenario - switched to the MG-34.  Then sat back again and defended our VP location.  Got tired of being a meal for mosquitos and so decided after a long while to start hunting and offending.  I hadn't moved from my spot 5-feet when I spied Andre on his haunches directly in front of our sandbag VP location.  He was studying it and trying to figure out what to do.  He was dispatched in a blaze of fire and I moved on.  Next was flank fire into Gryphon who was trading shots with Wolfgang.  Next as described, went Jordan and Maddy and the only remaining attacker was Duncan with a rifle who shot and missed and retreated into the brush.  I pursued cautiously and we both spotted one another as I came through a wall of cover and with 50-ft between us he spun and snapped off a perfect rifle shot which banged off my helmet like a church bell.  He needed to make that shot.  :(   So I respawned and before I could return the scenario was deemed a draw.

Sunday scenario - I was part of 3-man assault force on left flank and was pinned by three Russians.  Back tracked and took out Don, and then charged over a berm and Andre took his revenge.  Somewhere during this run I twisted my knee but didn't realize this until walking out of the area.  Now I'm on the mend.  Nothing serious I'm thinking.  Just a reminder to lose some weight.  During this assault, Franz got eliminated by Jordan on the run with a long range rifle shot (amazing) and Aldrich held off three Russians for a short time alone but inevitably was hunted down and exterminated.

Russians won this one.  No doubt about that.  Back to the drawing board for the good guys.  :p

I'll ask for B13 land area next time if we can't get an urban area.  I'm still gonna ask for urban area first.

Thanks for the pics Aldrich and there should be a boatload more in days to come.

See you again at October event and as Franz stated we will be at Iola with the troop truck this coming weekend for anyone who wants to give blank-fire a looksee.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 8
Fyodor Ivanovich Belov Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2011,21:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh boy was this event fun. heat and mosquitoes aside, this is probably the best MOA event ive been to. having so many rifles on the field sure made for a different game, and for once i didnt feel outgunned. having experienced russian comerades by my side helped too.

i enjoyed the first scenario a lot, since for the first half hour i ended up alone and dug in with a squad of germans in front of me. i was flat on my stomach in the grass, with a grenade in one hand and pistol in the other, and i could hear rekkon 20 or so feet away telling his men that he thought there was a russian somewhere ahead. Aldrich was the unlucky soldat who got to check out my position and i shot him in the chest with my pistol. for some reason though, the rest of the germans never advanced to eliminate me. instead i survived until more russians came to help. i really loved the gutsy german motorized assault that sent us scrambling for our guns, and despite the fact that the germans won, i still had a blast.

in the second scenario i found out what its like to be under mortar fire (sort of) and fired my entire magazine without hitting a single german. i ended up covering troy with an empty rifle as he charged the objective. the scenario went a little fast but i cant complain, the russians did win after all.

the third scenario was slow getting started, with lots of cautious patrolling through the brush until we reached german lines. Gryphon and i took potshots at either mike or steve (my bad) and i finally scored a hit. we then decided to rush forward to new positions but were quickly mowed down by return fire. the scenario ended before we could respawn, so we headed back to camp for a much needed break.

the final scenario of the day was fierce, close fighting. my rifle went down early with magazine failure so i unholstered my luger and hefted a grenade and went back into the fighting. we ended up pinned down near the objective, and Gryphon was hit which left us leaderless. i swear the germans lobbed five or so grenades at us, one of which got maddie and left me disconnected from any friendly soldiers. with an MG approaching to my right and rekkon creeping up on the left, i hunkered down. i tried to throw my grenade but failed horribly and then fired my pistol at the machine gunner till the slide locked back. uh oh. rekkon graciously bang-killed me minutes later.
later i was one of the russians who was ambushed at the armored car by Ersatzjack2. that scared the buhjeezus out of me, and im amazed i wasnt hit as i was closest to the firer.

sundays battle was a good one, especially since it was single elimination and i was never hit. the squad i was with ended up on the high ground with germans approaching in the woods below. a small clear area between us kept them from advancing up the hill. nevertheless, Ersatzjack2 made a dash for it but i hit him as he made his way through the trees. i still dont know how i made that shot. andre and i were the only russians left in our squad, and we persued the remaining germans into the woods. aldrich had me pinned for the longest time, i thought he was shooting at me but i was in fact behind him and had a perfect oppourtunity for a kill. finally i realized this and rose out of the grass to shoot him in the back.

with that the weekend ended, but i definitely had a good time. if we get the same map next year i definitely am interested in rekkon's scenario ideas, i agree that theres a lot you could do with all that land. hopefully ill see most of you in october.

-Jordan
 Post Number: 9
Alban Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2011,09:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Photos for one and all the move in with school has delayed me a bit, but I have photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/61912907@N08/6045926142/ The ones shot on the old film camera should be done with in the next week and I am hoping they came out okay. Great games and it was good to see you all as always.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2011,23:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all of the photos Alban and good luck in your new schooling endeavor.  I am confident that you'll do well.  Keep MOA in mind should you need to do a school project.

--------------

15 replies since Aug. 08 2011,00:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ft. McCoy 2011 AAR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code