Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Return to Big Lake Dec 9-11, WWII/Modern Airsoft - Sat/Sun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2011,09:34  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should be there and would like to crash at your place Andre.  I will see if I can talk Adam in to attending, in which case we would probably stay at his parents' place.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 12
andre Search for posts by this member.
Hero Of The Soviet Union

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2011,21:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travis convinced (strong armed) me to come out to participate in a blank fire/reenacting event at his place and to see some of the new field improvements.
I think every one will be pleased with the new additions. His barn/garage is complete enough to sleep in and I think it's more sound then the barn at the Niellsville property.
You'll want a cot or pad to get you up off the floor and a warm sleeping bag.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2011,18:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Folks,

For those who just want to plug in an address to their GPS it is:

22615 County Road 75, Big Lake, MN 55309

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 14
travis17ss Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,19:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is room in my heated garage to stay overnite, as well as the barn, which will also have a porable heater in it, so it will also
act as a break / staging area.
 Post Number: 15
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,23:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather looks great for Saturday.  High of 28-degrees.  Partly cloudy.  Couldn't be nicer.  :)

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 16
Schwank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2011,14:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With faith in ultimate victory, Fight hard and have fun!

--------------
"Just yell something in German and spray them with BBs"-Steve
"I Like the way this sucks"-Me
"Only lost is he who gives up on himself " H.U.R.
 Post Number: 17
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2011,10:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AAR- Begin Here.

Big Lake redux is history and was a success in terms of another fun and safe event.  This event had a small turnout (just eleven of us) but with the holidays, the economy and 4-degree weather the night before, I guess it is understandable.  It doesn't require lots of players though to have a great game, and this event ranks near the top of my memory for fun.  The scenarios were fun and interesting.  Overnight accommodations were cozy in the heated garage and one of Travis's field improvements is that he is nearing completion of a larger troop quarters for the next cold weather event.  That will house an army.  So for future Big Lake events, outdoor camping is an option and not a requirement.

The event kicked off a little late as we awaited a warm front to arrive, and this raised the temps from single digits into a nice mid-20's for the day.  Winds were moderate and partly cloudy skies made for perfect gaming weather.  No bugs.  No snow either.  Big Lake has skirted the recent snow accumulations to this point.  Field improvements abounded and you'll see them in the photos.  Travis has one of his older buildings ready for combat action now with an under the building trench system complete and his neighbor gave him a barn.  Nice.  That building was also up and ready for battle.  Travis plans adding at least one more building to make this an urban area.  He also created several new mini-bunkers in no-mans land between the trenches and improved the main bunkers.  They are just like real bunkers now.  Not so noticeable is the shoring up of the trench system with lumber walls.  Very cool.  I mean, it was like playing in new trenches.  The trench warfare is tense and you cannot rest ever.  Very unnerving and we did this for the first scenario and that was all my nerves could take.  :)      

Travis is just making this an excellent playground and has no plans of letting up.  Now on to scenario design.

Andre was the organizer for his debut event and this was an easy-going and well run event with some new twists and a reduction in the formality of pre-event staging.  There was no long safety briefing because we were all veterans from previous battles and there was no problem with spawn points as they were always placed away from objectives.  The first scenario was the longest of the day and involved a hunt for 24 gold bars that Andre had crafted.  Kelly's hero style.  These were placed around the trench system by Andre and then the Germans were given a choice of which side of the field they wanted to start on.  After that, it was a mad chase to control as much trench area as possible and still comb the weeds for gold.  I felt gold rush fever.  Steve, our commander used his wits to put the sun at our backs.  We enjoyed a much better kill ratio we guess in this battle.  But it didn't save the day.  We found seven bars and they had 12 at the end giving the Russians a first win.  I really fought less and hunted for gold more in this event.  Each time you found a gold bar you had to return it to spawn.  You could only carry one at a time and I made many trips.  Tiring to say the least.  I really felt we had the upper hand but we never hit the motherlode.

After this we took a short break and started the building battles.  The Russians attacked the Germans first at the barn and then at the small cabin and after that we switched the scenarios to the Germans attacking the Russians.  The defenders had no respawns and the attackers had unlimited respawns.  For victory, you had to lose less attackers.  Here the advantage swung heavily to the German team.  The Russians being the first to attack both positions for the very first time showed the Germans the natural advantages and weaknesses of both positions so that in the second set of battles, the Germans had the advantage of learning from the Russian mistakes.  For instance on the first Russian attack on the German held barn, they used 15 Russians and 8 taking the second building.  The Germans lost 2 and 7.  The buildings are going to get increased defensive attention from Travis so will prove to be even harder to attack in the future.  These were fun games.  Without respawns for the defenders the key was to whittle down even one or two defenders and then it became impossible to defend in all directions.

Grenades were very important all day long.  That's as it should be.  After the third scenario, we decided sunlight was waning so we took some staged photos as a way of highlighting this great area.  They are shown below.  You won't see us wearing goggles in these.  After that we packed up and some went into town for some tasty pizza while others headed home.  I give this event high marks and it is a great way to end the 2011 year.  In an after event meeting we all decided the boards will stay public for now and all dedicated ourselves to recruiting some new blood.  The 2012 season looks to be promising with some new WWII guns on the horizon, and some other projects nearing completion.

Andre, our event organizer

The rest of his team

The German Team

My favorite (Alban quality photo)

Travis modeling in his most excellent bunker

--------------

Post Number: 18
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2011,10:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More pics:

Another equally impressive bunker - they all look good

Rekkon's screenshot.

Lots of props like these add to the fun.  Notice no mileage indicators.  So this could still be on the East-front.

Swiss chalet - note the fellow hiding under the building

The barn.  Travis likes his panzerfaust.  Big Lake could host a vehicle extravaganza in 2012.

--------------

Post Number: 19
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2011,10:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last of the pics:

The Russians take the trenches.

The Germans out for a stroll.

Strolling right into an ambush.

Lots of mini-trenches and foxholes dot the landscape at Big Lake.

--------------

Post Number: 20
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2011,11:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Lake 2011 is over and I had a really good time at this event.  Mike and I arrived on Friday night and had a nice warm place to sleep out the night and await the morning action.  Overnight temps dipped to near zero with a windchill of minus five but as my brother stated, our group started a bit late in the morning and it was a delightfully crisp and warming day.  Temps hit the middle twenties by noon and nobody suffered.  The weather was great.  Turnout was light but those hardy regulars that showed were all veterans of MOA events and the gameplay was uncomplicated, clean, and lots of fun.  It was nice to see Fritz Moos at this game and he was noticeably more agile and mobile given his knee reconstruction surgeries.  It was great to see him being able to move around.  He presented me with a German commander's whistle, which I appreciated and put to good use.  He also donned a new sniper patch and looked the part using his new EJ built sniper rifle.

Mike explained the scenarios and as he stated, the first one was a pressure cooker.   Fighting in trenches for ninety minutes taxes a person.  I didn't look for gold as much as others but still found two bars.  I did luck out though and had many opportunities to whittle down Russian opposition.  It seemed every time I moved I was running into a Russian patrol and luckily it always seemed as though I was able to get the drop on them.  I was pegged four times in this game but dropped 10 commies so overall this skirmish was a lot of fun for me.  All of them were though.  

Thanks to Travis for continually improving this wonderful playing field.  Thanks to Andre or organizing and to both teams for braving the elements and to Mike for some nice photos of the event.  Next up is the January 7 Stalingrad event at APOC near Madison WI.  Hoping for some good weather for that one and we'll see you all at that game.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
23 replies since Oct. 15 2011,06:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Return to Big Lake Dec 9-11
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code