Page 3 of 4<<1234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stalingrad 2015?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2014,19:58  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As an FYI, I will not be offering pea grenades for general sale, but if MOA members want to buy limited quantities of the ball grenades, I will do that.  Stalingrad need explosives.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 22
Fritz Moos Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2015,20:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks to Rekkon and Gryphon for another great Stalingrad event at APOC!         I wish I could have stayed longer.

My hope, and best wishes are that the few minor injuries are not too serious, and will mend OK.
With respect,

Fritz

--------------

there is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
 Post Number: 23
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2015,17:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks to the organizers (Rekkon and Gryphon) for another fun Stalingrad event at APOC.  The weather really cooperated and the scenario design worked okay considering the non-private property ownership involved.  By that, I simply mean that were the event on private property there is always more time to set up versus the rushed set-up when you are a guest somewhere.

I was disappointed that the P* MG42 did not work as I wanted.  It was operator error in cold weather conditions that was the cause.  I will be better prepared in the future.  Essentially, the colder air resulted in a lower starting air pressure which jammed the weapon and I didn't have a way to adjust the air upwards having only metric tools with me.  Opps!  Gods were with the Russians.

My other gun problems turned out to be the bbs in my MP-38.  They must have swollen.  That bag is in the trash.  Sooo... I relied on my trusty Mauser.   :)

Fritz alludes to minor injuries and I think he includes me since I have never been so face hammered in any previous event but I count myself lucky as I know one other player who lost a tooth.  I can't imagine.  Ouch!

The after play meal and the camaraderie along with getting to see familiar faces was fun.  I especially liked Eric's mortar though it needs paint.  Might I recommend Panzer Gray?  But it sure sounds cool when firing and those whistling Nerfs are mood setters.

I'm pretty sure that modern players in attendance are right now planning their impressions so that they might participate at Fort McCoy later this year.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 24
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2015,20:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The alarm clock went off shortly after 6am.  No clock really... just my dog waking me up so he could go outside.  It was still dark out and there was several inches of fresh snow with more still coming down when I took him outside.  Not too cold but not summer either.  Oh well.  I had packed everything the night before.  Batteries charged, fresh sno-seal on my all important boots.  A fresh battery in my eye protection goggles, so I was ready to go.  I poured myself a cup of coffee and packed the car for the two hour drive to the event hoping that others would do likewise.  After all, there were NFL playoff games to watch and computer games to play.

I wasn't disappointed though as there was a nice turnout for a winter event.  I believe the total was twenty players.

I guess I'll give the usual thanks to the organizers.  I should just cut and paste an entry for that purpose.   :)   :p

No that won't do.  It's hard work putting on events and organizing scenarios and so thank you's should reflect that.  Ryan and Todd - Thank you for the event.  I love going to these things when someone else shoulders the responsibility.  There were plenty of interesting tweaks to this particular event.  We had smoke, we had howling mortar rounds, a regular mortar, and interesting scenarios.

I had some moments in the first two battles where I managed to squeeze off some pretty good shots but then futility set in in the afternoon and I had to rely on the rest of our team to do well because I certainly didn't.  I hope the newer players enjoyed themselves enough to consider purchasing impressions and WW2 guns.  This event is always tailored to that goal.

Afterwards, I enjoyed the meal at the restaurant and I am looking forward to the February Missouri event.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 25
El_Phantasamo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2015,19:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ersatzjack @ Jan. 04 2015,17:03)
 I especially liked Eric's mortar though it needs paint.  Might I recommend Panzer Gray?  But it sure sounds cool when firing and those whistling Nerfs are mood setters.

Actually, Rekkon commissioned me to build that, so it will be painted Panzer grey after it has a nice sealing layer of POR-15 rust sealing/stopping primer.

I need to work up A "Range Table" to make first shots more likely to hit their target (instead of hitting friendlies).

I will have to build another tube like that, but longer and call it a "Katyusha rocket launcher"
 Post Number: 26
SDLopez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2015,18:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stalingrad 2015:  AAR

***Here is a quick version of how I've been shown AAR's, Be as detailed or vague as you want but put out the Event Info, actual weather, the plan, what actually happened, substains, and improvements (both individual and for the scenario)***

I have to say I had a lot of fun at this event.  And luckily the weather didn't take a turn to the single digits and below until Sunday, leaving this Saterday with moderate temperatures, and a dusting of snow on the ground.

The field is still great.  The last time I was there was two years ago for Stalingrad 2013, and I can tell the improvements and add-ons that had been done.  It makes me want to go to a large game there this summer just to play around the field again.

The first scenario:

The Plan:  the first scenario, although being continuous, felt like two very separate scenarios.  The Russian team was to assault the castle, and take that position.  Once every defender was eliminated we move across the open with mortar support.  Then once we were back in cover, infantry would push the germans back to Tin City.

What happened: (my perspective of course) As we took the castle, the russian side was not all on the same page as to who would attack what, where, and when.  So it boiled down to several groups of friendlies shooting at each other from opposite sides of the castle, because they had no idea that friendlies were taking those positions.  With one german player hiding out in the tower this is where the scenario seemed to 'stop' as we dealt with that german, then stood around talking about the assault, and admiring each others gear and weapons.  Our side did get the kick in the arse end it needed to move on to the woodsline to assault across the open.  That small lull is where it seemed like two seperate scenarios, and I am sure that the german team was waiting and waiting on our assault.

The first wave of russians rushing across the open ended how you may expect.  I had a lot of fun there, and almost thought I could make it to cover.  

Then the real fun started.  The amount of emphasis your group puts on mortars, and foam projectiles is amazing.  I doubt regular airsofters would be honest about the mortars landing within 10, or 20 feet.  

All of your mortar systems seemed to work well.  At least I didn't hear too much cursing from our side.  Accuracy is something to be desired, since several times the heavy mortar dropped rounds 30-50 feet away from the light mortar position.  I noticed the lack of trust in teaching players how to use the light mortars, and letting the players run the mortars.  A quick 10 minute demonstration to interested parties before the event could mean more players could be qualified to operate the equipment.

Anywho, rushing the positions and pushing back the germans was a great end to the first scenario.  We had a good momentum that got held up at the mines.

What I liked:
    The continuous scenario.  Even a bog-down of 4 minutes isn't the 15--30 it takes to go back to the cars, reload, regroup and get back out

Mortars, loved them!

rushing an open field (not sure why I liked that)

Moving respawn system

Needs Improvement:
    Coordination between individuals.  Even one player stepping up to say "follow me" helps a lot for the individuals to operate as a unit

Mortar crew, emphasis on crew

Second Scenario:

The Plan:  A bucket full of four different colored poker chips sat at each teams respawn.  Every player would blindly draw one token.  The color of the token had to be placed in a bin with the corresponding flag (red, blue, green, black)  The four flags/bins were hidden during lunch around the buildings, tin city, mines, and trench system.  A counter kept track of respawns, unlimited for each team.  You could not carry any more than one token, you could not try for another token

What Happened:  On our side, we started by spreading ourselves out to search for the flags.  With the understanding we wouldnt shout "HEY EVERYONE!!! I FOUND THE RED FLAG!!" but quietly pass the word.  The red and green points were found right away, and were easily defendable by our side.  We got some tokens in those until a few of us were holding black and green tokens.  Seeing how the germans had much interest in the mines, we pushed several times to assault the position.  Once we were finally there and found the green flag some more progress was made.  And to my knowledge we still had people by the barns defending the red and blue flags.   The game was a lot of back and forth from here until our side held on to a lot of black tokens.  We still had no idea where the flag was for most the the event.  Also it seemed the german side all but disapeared.  I even walked unchallenged around the twig bunkers looking for the flag, stumbled on the german spawn where they let me walk back without a BB to send me on my way.  Finally near the end we found the black flag.  I'm not sure we even got any tokens in it, but figured out that the germans held on too tightly to the trench system

What I liked:
    The scenario was original, and allowed players to play how they wanted.  be it loan wolf stalker sniper, tired sitting defender, or extra awesome chip running extrordinare

The chips themselves, simple colors, simple rules.  It's not confusing and no rules had to be repeated once the game started

Needs improvement:
    Maybe it was a matter of total number of players.  But in the middle of the scenario I felt like I could really just walk anywhere unchallenged, and I did.  I had the swagger of a supply sergeant back at base because I felt that safe out there

Overall, I would gladly play both of those scenarios again.  Great game and I hope to be able to make out out to several games over the summer!

--------------
Number of fighting positions dug for airsoft : 2
 Post Number: 27
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2015,12:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might have been *slightly* negligent getting this written/posted, but here we go.

Thanks to everyone that participated, Gryphon for helping me run the event and of course Dave for maintaining an awesome field.

It looked like we were in for another essentially snowless Stalingrad, but at the last minute we got about the perfect amount for airsofting.  Enough to make everything white, but not so much that movement became a chore.  Andre, Brett and I actually beat Dave to the field since I gather roads north of Poynette were worse that those to the south.  Registration went pretty smoothly, and we started the day with 20 players.  Not bad for a winter game, though it was the lowest Stalingrad turnout.

The first scenario was intended to be a multi-phase, set-piece semi-choreographed ordeal intended to convey a feeling of a multi-stage assault with setbacks and heavy weapon support.  Of course as you can probably guess from reading that sentence, I violated the KISS principle, which caused some player confusion, and for that I apologize.  We opened with the Russians assaulting the castle.  Old school Apoc players might remember when this setup was more common, and it generally sucked.  I am one of them, so I took several steps to avoid a prolonged stalemate.  The Russian attackers could plant respawn flags on the two outside corners.  These were intended only for Rifleman, but apparently that was confusion #1.  German defenders could not respawn, so as long as the Russians kept coming, it should only be a matter of time until they took the position.  This worked out more or less as expected, though the last German holdout demonstrated why you need to actually clear the entire area before standing around jaw jacking.

As they died, German players moved to Hyperball 2 (the plastic culverts at the edge of the airball field).  Here their job was to dig in and wait for the next phase of the first scenario.  The Russians were to attack across the open (trenches were out of play).  It was not expected they would succeed, but this bit was intended to convey some of the flavor of fighting on the Ostfront.  An Urrah charge is a very Russian thing, and in the wide-open expanse of the Motherland, sometimes there was no terrain to mask your approach.  This also matched a bunch of German firsthand accounts I have read that mention repeated Russian waves.  After the failed assault, the Russian commander would “rethink” his plans and call for fire support.  We had all of our light mortars in play, and this Stalingrad was the combat debut of the heavy mortar, which hucks screaming NERF Mega Howlers 600+ feet.  Here I had planned a side mission.  As soon as the first heavy mortar round fell, I dispatched three soldaten to infiltrate enemy lines and destroy their support position.  After Gryphon felt the German positions were sufficiently softened (which ended up being when the heavy mortar’s ammoi/air was exhausted), I would deploy smoke for him, and the attack would resume.

The first part went according to plan.  Gryphon and I had planned on one or two Russian waves, but we truncated it down to one in the interest of conserving time and energy.  The mortars were moved up and opened fire.  The small ones sprinkled the area, but did not cause any casualties.  The heavy ones took a few rounds to range in.  Being on the receiving end was pretty cool.  You would hear the “whump” as it fired, followed by the rising whistle as the rocket fell.  Unfortunately, the larger rockets were much easier to spot in the sky, which, couple with their noise, made them relatively easy to dodge even with the increased kill radius.  In the future you will want some infantry or maybe an armored car to prevent the defenders from casually displacing when they take heavy mortar fire.  Phantasamo did manage two kills when a round landed between me and one of the Lost Parade guys.  I was getting ready for an OC task and did not bother to run.  After a while, the patrol sent to attack the mortar came back dead.  One of them got a little trigger happy and shot a Russian artillery observer, which gave away their position.  At that point Russian numbers and nearby respawn made short work of them.  Now that the high-explosive barrage was done, I moved in front of the German positions and started throwing smoke to represent Russian tubes putting down concealment.  It was a real screen too.  I had over 20 old smokes to use up and was still deploying them after the first units burned out.  This, coupled with limited German respawns (Gryphon and I were controlling respawns to maintain game flow), eventually let the Russians get a toe hold in the culverts.  I sent a counterattack, but they were unable to dislodge the enemy, so we moved into the final phase of the first scenario.

The last segment was a tried-and-true token respawn for the defenders (think tickets from the Battlefield series) against unlimited attackers.  This transition was difficult for the Germans, who had to switch respawn systems mid-game and find flags on the fly.  I tried to alleviate this by focusing on directing my troops rather than fighting myself, but there was still far more confusion than there needed to be.  Our flags were in the trench tower, tin city and near the farmhouse.  This meant the closes respawn for dead AEGs was way back in tiny city.  Needless to say, we were quickly pushed back to the mines, where we managed to hold until lunch.  It was a close thing however.  We had to throw Russians out of the tunnels at least once, and we ran out of tokens in tin city.  Though for some reason all our tokens remained in the first bucket.  Either our riflemen never respawned there or forgot to transfer tokens when they did.  There was no specific victory condition for this scenario.  Sometimes you just have to be happy with whatever ground you managed to take (or hold).

The second scenario was an experimental design.  I like trying new things, though I limit them to a portion of the event and have a backup plan in case they tank.  Fortunately that was not the case here.  Each team’s respawn had a bucket of chips in four different colors.  Players would draw one randomly, then try to deliver it to the flag of the same color.  The intent was to give players a lot of freedom of maneuver and in how they played the game.  Most airsoft games at Apoc have to be big affair to warrant using the whole field, a restriction Stalingrad gets around by playing in winter.  So I tried to craft a scenario that would have small groups of players moving independently around the field going after their own small victories.  Being evil, I hid the flags and forced players to find them after game-on.  Overall this scenario went well and had positive feedback (feel free to air negative feedback if you have it).  There were two problems.  One was that by trying to straddle tin city, gameplay was naturally bottlenecked by Warehouse 1 and the mines.  This made it particularly difficult for the Germans to access two flags.  The other was that players (such as myself) would get stuck with a token color they had little chance of delivering (Red/Green for Germans and Black for Russians).  In the future I might let people draw a new token when the die, but as more and more players get stuck with the “hard” colors, perhaps that given them incentive to make a big, coordinated push for that location.

In the end the Germans took 38 casualties to the Russian 36.  One or two kills at the very end may not have clocked in, so the Russians could be 37-38.  That uncertainty does not matter however because token deliveries (which I had planned to weigh twice as much as kills), were 26 to 10 in favor of the Communists.
 Post Number: 28
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2015,13:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SDLopez:  Thanks for the photos!

Re:  Mortars.
It was the heavy mortar's combat debut, and it still has some kinks to work out.  We had it roughly zeroed on the airball field beforehand, but someone might have bumped the tube during the castle fighting.  Phantasamo had to increase the pressure to 95 PSI to get the range we wanted, and the traverse and elevation mechanism still needs some work.  We get away with unsophisticated T&Es on the light mortars because their range is much smaller.  The operator can just eyeball it.  The heavy tube edges into true indirect fire where it needs finer adjustment and a spotter.  There are plans to create a range card, but they will have to wait for nicer weather.

For the light mortars, I am a little protective of my equipment (only one of them was mine), but at Stalingrad it was more an issue of numbers.  We had more support weapons in play than could effectively be manned while still fielding a reasonable infantry force, and you needed a lot of bodies if you wanted to charge that open field.  This time we did not put down mortar file during the actual attacks, but it was an option we wanted in our playbook.

I can only speak for my piece, but I would not have a huge issue with someone else operating it, assuming I was able to properly brief them on it beforehand.  Rocket recovery is a part of this, as I would not want someone throwing rounds all over the place.  I am very careful to only fire in open areas, and even then I typically lose three rockets per event.  If I were to be cynical, I would comment on how many other players are usually out there helping me look after the game ends.  :p
 Post Number: 29
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2015,16:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice AAR's and photos.

I do help look for your missing nerf rockets but am always afraid to go near them when I find them on the field because they are still intact.  Unexploded ordinance is nothing to fool with.  :p

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 30
El_Phantasamo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2015,18:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was in fact the second time we have ever fired the mortar tube, and it was the longest shots in so far.
It was also the first time we have ever used the revised T&E (more improvements on the way) and revised valving system.
I HOPE to have a range table ready for the Neailsville game.

I have an idea for an elevation and azimuth system for even more accurate first round shots if a good map is available (thank you google earth).

For example at Apoc, if we set up the GrW in the north east corner of the field (near the expressway sign), with an azimuth of 204-209 Deg and set the charge and elevation for 550 Yards, we SHOULD hit the pipe field from there.
36 replies since Oct. 07 2014,13:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 4<<1234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stalingrad 2015?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code