Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 7<<1234567>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 6th Annual Fort McCoy _CoA_Redux, August 14-16 2015< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2015,09:14  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did this get posted to the Illinois board?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 22
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2015,14:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rekkon @ Jul. 17 2015,09:14)
Did this get posted to the Illinois board?

I didn't know that ILL-ANNOY had a site.  Feel free.  My problems with WAA are fixed now but I appreciate you posting there.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 23
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2015,19:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is my first prototype scenario.  The core idea is a German defense where the Russians get both pieces of armor (all vehicles if we get more than two).  This will let them have their shot at blitzkrieg like we had in 2012.  Defenders obviously get all available AT (balanced relative to attendance).  I will be bringing the Teller mines and wurfmines as usual, and we anticipate at least three panzerfausts being available.  Hopefully we can get the PAK as well.  I want to make that old foundation at the edge of the open field a strongpoint the Russians have to take as their primary objective, conditions permitting (I seem to recall it was filled with water one year).  Defenders inside are immune to BB fire, unless we can build up the sides enough, which I highly doubt.  Bring ze granates.  Ideally the PAK will be inside the “bunker” to hold off vehicles, and as Phantasamo might be bringing the heavy mortar, that could go in there too.  The open field should be a great place for some defensive artillery.  An MG on the Ersatzs’ AA tripod would work well as the bunker’s sole AEG.  Depending on grass conditions, I might allow my light mortar to be used against the bunker.

The Germans of course will fortify the heck out of the location.  I have a number of light duty fence posts and am thinking we can pound them in and run twine as simulated wire (no crossing except through gaps).  The Russians can have some simulated wire cutters (scissors if nothing else).  Obviously this would require some time to setup, so it would be great to get started Friday.  Russians respawn to the west; Germans to the east, probably on the other side of the trail that runs past where we usually set up camp.  This puts roads all around the strongpoint, giving the Russians maximum flexibility in deploying their vehicles, including using them to cut off the bunker.

Thoughts?
 Post Number: 24
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2015,20:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds like a real fun scenario.  Would there be a limit as to number of Germans allowed in the "bunker" since they are immune to bb fire.  If they're immune, why not put all of us in there on the foundation.  If we're all in the bunker and are all immune, the vehicles aren't going to blitzkrieg much of anything.  So... limit the bunker defenders.  The rest have to set up a perimeter and then I think it sounds good.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 25
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2015,21:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not think we will need to limit bunker occupancy.  My current thought is to only allow one AEG to fire out of it at a time, preferably a mounted machine gun.  Even without that, I think stacking everyone inside would be unwise.  Hide infantry behind the vehicles and hit opposite sides of the bunker simultaneously.  The PAK can only fire so quickly, and it only takes one guy getting in grenade range.
 Post Number: 26
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2015,22:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aldrich has these two scenario ideas and they'll be used as needed.  Read more here:

https://docs.google.com/documen....t?pli=1

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 27
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2015,11:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Intel Grab

Background:  A German convoy containing a command halftrack was strafed yesterday evening during a German withdrawal.  Scout planes have managed to locate its remains along the road to Byskopol.  The command halftrack contained vital maps detailing the locations of the new German defensive positions.  Both German and Russian search teams have been dispatched to locate and recover the intel before it can fall into the enemy’s hands.  

Setting:  The German and Russian vehicles will be parked on one of the roads in our play area.  To add to the effect of a “strafed convoy”, the vehicles can be parked rifle range distance apart.  Prop crates or items can also be carried along in the vehicles to be strewn over the road and a smoke bomb can be lit to further the “smouldering convoy” look.  A map case will be placed inside the halftrack on the floor.  

Respawn Points:  Both team’s respawn points will be placed along the road with the objective in the center.   The respawn points will not be located on the road, but a small walk off the road so that the respawn area is not visible from the objective or road.  (The idea is to keep things immersive so that people standing at the respawn area will not be visible from the play area.)

Respawn Rules:  Respawns will be infinite, and will work either via waves, or immediate depending on the area of play and distance between the points and objectives.

Win Condition:  The win condition is to be the team holding the convoy once the timer runs out.

It seems a little silly to use our vehicles a static props, but this could be fine if we are going to have an infantry only scenario.  I would suggest making this our rifle-heavy game.

I really hate "who holds this at the end wins" victory conditions, and it seems especially arbitrary in this case.  If the map case is the important thing, you should only need to retrieve it.  Of course, that turns the game into a very short "sprint to objective, grab object, run home."  To that end I highly recommend either:
1.  Change the victory condition to object based.  For example, the vehicles could be loaded with supply props.  Both sides are trying to recover them and take them back to their spawn.  With a large number of props (that you can only carry one at a time), you have to continually fight over the objective, rather than grab one thing and run.  It also takes people from the "winning" side off the objective to carry supplies, making it easier for the other team to flip control.  In theory, things will be more dynamic.
2.  Change the victory condition to be the vehicles themselves.  Say the Germans are trying to repair and recover them, while the Russians try to destroy them before that happens.  One side can have to devote someone to "repairing" for a period of time, perhaps even having to bring up props for that purpose.  The other side could have time delayed satchel charges that must be planted (and defended) until they go off.

Either one of these would improve the scenario thematically, as well as making it play better.  The two suggestions could even be combined.

On a side note, if there is a lot of action around the vehicles, we can deploy my light mortar against them as rocket recovery on the road should be acceptable.  If one team starts in possession of the vehicles, the other side can have the mortar to start clearing them out.  

Killing the Beasts

Background:  The battle for Kursk is finally winding down.  Eager to exploit their success, the Russians have deployed armored scout teams to hunt down any straggling or isolated German armored vehicles.  The Germans have deployed their own hunter teams to destroy these incursions.  

Setting:  Each side will have an armored vehicle accompanied by infantry with AT weapons.  The area of play will be the “big triangle” consisting of the main road, the forest road, the camp road, and the field in between.   Players can go outside this area as long as it is a reasonable distance and does not hinder play.

Respawn Points/Rules:  Infinite respawns.  Respawn points will not be located in set locations due to the large play area.  If a player is killed they are to lay dead until the combat has ended or moved on.  Once it has, or if after a brief period of time it hasn’t, they are to discreetly remove themselves from battle in a direction away from the enemy.  Once they are in a spot isolated from any enemies, they may then re-enter the game.

If a vehicle is killed, it must relocate itself to the other side of the field.

Win Condition:  The goal is to destroy the enemy vehicle as many times as possible before the time runs out.  Each team must prioritize between protecting their own vehicle and ambushing the other team’s vehicle.  Each vehicle kill will count as a point.  The team with the most points wins.

For those who were not at McCoy in (I think) 2013 or left early, this is basically what we did for Sunday's scenario and it was a blast, like a giant WWII chess game with pieces moving around to counter each other.

I suggest changing the respawn system so that players have to return to their vehicle and/or infantry squad leader after sitting dead for a period of time.  This prevents ambiguity (eh, go over there for a while) in the system and adds depth to how each team deploys their assets.  You will have to think about how to manage your respawns via vehicle location.  It would also be better if dead vehicles stayed in place while the live one moved away.  This would let the team presumably hit harder some time to recover and reorganize.  It also prevents a bunch of "dead" traffic during the game.
 Post Number: 28
Aldrich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2015,18:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can agree with these suggestions.  The first scenario was written as a "just in case" idea so that we would have an option if the weather is too hot and we needed to give some overheated engines a break.  That way we could still "use" the vehicles at the very least.  That being said, if I had to vote between the two I would vote 100% for the second one.  Like Rekkon said, it was an absolute blast when we did it at the past event.  I had initially written it so that people could respawn within a 30 ft radius of the vehicles, but I was worried about having the objective also be the respawn point.  Perhaps if the vehicle had to be not moving and not under attack/in a remote location it could help avoid this issue.  For the first scenario I like the idea of having both sides trying to recover items of value from the wreckage.  The theme can stay the same, only the Germans are trying to recover the intel in the face of the Russian advance.  The Russians are trying to stop them by recovering the intel themselves.  The counting down clock can represent the approaching main Russian forces.

For your bunker idea, perhaps we could post two stakes along the foundation to represent a "bunker door".  That way the occupants can't jump in and out from any direction.  It would provide another good incentive not to hide too many people in the bunker since they would be bottle necked if they would need to get outside in a hurry.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2015,21:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, an "overheat backup" scenario is not a bad idea.

Funny you should mention that.  I have a file where I am fleshing out a lot more detail on this, and marking a single "door" for entry/exit is already a listed feature.  Rest assured I have been putting in a lot of thought on how to avoid both sides abusing the "pretend bunker" mechanics.

As some of you have already seen, I made a Facebook event for this event since a lot of the MAA traffic has shifted there.
 Post Number: 30
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2015,23:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like how these scenarios are getting some depth.  Good work.  Franz is working tirelessly on our submission - I'm sure of it.  I on the other hand am busy encouraging some of our blank-fire brethren to attend to bolster attendance.  One could almost say blackmailing and there would be some truth but it is friendly and beneficial for them so I believe I'll have a few takers.  More on this at the event campfire - heh-heh.

I like the idea of posting on FB but still, you can't beat a forum such as we enjoy for the sheer volume of information and discussion.  I'm glad we use both.  :)

--------------

60 replies since May 05 2015,21:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 7<<1234567>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 6th Annual Fort McCoy _CoA_Redux
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code