[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wolfgang Voigt< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2008,22:07  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well here is my first draft.  I welcome feedback, especially on any little details that might not quite fit.  I hate when that happens, but my knowledge of the pre-war era is not as strong as I might like.

-----

Wolfgang Voigt was born in 1920 to a middle class family of native Berliners.  Early on, Wolfgang’s father hitched his family’s fortunes to the German Workers Party, eventually rising to become a moderately affluent party member and ensuring that his son had only the faintest memories of the tough years after the Great War.  Wolfgang quickly exhibited a preference for intellectual endeavors and was given the best education his family could afford.  Never having personally suffered the post-war deprivations, Wolfgang had occasional confrontations with his father over his indifferent attitude toward the party, which influenced his decision to move out while attending university to study engineering.  Germany’s political climate was to Wolfgang background noise that he ignored as far as possible without disrupting his studies.  This attitude changed only slightly when Germany invaded Poland, then the Low Countries and France.  The war was something happening elsewhere, and as the early campaigns indicated, would be concluded before Wolfgang had to contemplate his own involvement.  Wolfgang’s father urged him to enlist in a better branch of the service, lest he be drafted as infantry.  This advice was ignored until late August when the war became personal.  Spurred by the Luftwaffe’s bombing of London, Bomber Command returned the favor on Berlin.  One of Wolfgang’s close friends was mortally wounded, and the next day saw him at a Luftwaffe enlistment center.  His plans to defend the skies of his homeland from enemy bombers lasted until the eye exam, where he was rejected for nearsightedness.  Wolfgang’s engineering expertise made him a prime candidate in another area however, and he was soon in training for the Pioneers where he found unexpected enjoyment in de-constructing things with explosives.  Eventually assigned to the 3rd Pioneer Abteilung, Wolfgang faces the prospect of frontline combat with more than a little trepidation, now that emotions have cooled and the conflict has no end in sight.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Snoman120 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2009,20:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of curiosity, My Grandma is a "Voigt" (i live in a very German town in Wisconsin), and she always pronounced the name roughly "Folkt". I was just wondering if that was how you pronounced it. I am not necessarily saying that is the only correct (nor am i trying to be a nit picky "know it all") way to pronounce it, but just thought it was some useful information.
 Post Number: 3
Rekkon Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2009,21:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, my family pronounces it as it is written, just like Voight but without the 'h'.
 Post Number: 4
Snoman120 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2009,21:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, ok ya i was thinking about that one day when my mom mentioned her grandma "folkt" so thought it would be interesting to ask.
3 replies since Apr. 27 2008,22:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wolfgang Voigt
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code