Page 1 of 1712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Introductions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Erixon Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,14:24  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I figured this should be a seperate thread (seperate from our character bios, anyway.) Hopefully this forum section is appropriate.

This can be used for new and current members to introduce themselves. What are your hobbies, interests, age, or other personal info you'd like to share.

Many of you guys have met eachother and have attended events together. Hopefully I will meet you all soon, but in the meantime...

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,14:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 26. I graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 2004. I live in Northfield, MN (About 40 miles south of Minneapolis).

I went to school for Commercial Art and Graphic Design. I've always been a huge history buff, and I always had a special interest in World War Two.

I used to play paintball a lot as a teenager. After not playing for awhile, I discovered airsoft and loved it. Then I found out that there are actually people out there who re-enact WW2 with airsoft, and I knew it was for me.  :D

I also love old cars (I have a '56 Chevy) and reading, music, movies, painting, the usual.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,15:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great idea, sir!

I guess I will go next.

My "real" name is Tad Salyards and I'm 32 years old. My wife, Lisa (maiden name Schaaf), and I just recently had our first child, Marek, on December 1st of 2007.  He's keeping us busy for sure.  I can't complain though.  It's been more fun than I ever thought it would be.

We live in Minneapolis and have one dog, Winston.  He's an English Springer Spaniel and we like to go grouse and pheasant hunting with him in the fall and winter.  Our two cats, Tyranny and Treason, mainly just destroy things and get hair all over the house.

I've been a history buff ever since I can remember.  My primary loves are the American Civil War and World War Two.  I started doing Civil War reenacting when I was about fifteen years old and also did some WWI reenacting for a couple of years.  

Other hobbies of mine are fencing and music.  I just went back to my fencing club last week after a two year hiatus.  My primary weapon was foil since I was about twelve years old, but I've been fencing epee almost exclusively for the past six years or so.

I lived in Germany for a year as an exchange student from 1992-1993.  That's where I really learned the language.  I also minored in German at the University of Minnesota, where I got my BSB in mangement from the Carlson School of Management.  I've been working for Target Corporation for the past four years as a Business Analyst in Information Technology.

There you have it.

Edited by Udo_Schaaf on Jan. 15 2008,15:06
 Post Number: 4
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,15:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You ever see any of Don Troiani's art, Udo? (Civil War artist)

I wanna be the Don Troiani of World War Two.  :cool:

I'm far from Troiani's skill level as a painter, but I'm workin' on it.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,15:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice idea Conrad.  

I'm 52 years young.  I'm single again and have two grown children.  My daughter is a 1st Lt. in the Air Force and serves in Hawaii (tough duty  :)) and my son is still in college.  I'm retired from the Milwaukee Police Department and I finished as a Lieutenant.  I did 25+ years.  I did a stint (75-78) in the military.  I love history and have been an avid reader and gamer.  I used to dabble in Napoleonic tabletop miniatures and have quite a nice collection but don't do that anymore.  I also like, golf, fishing, the outdoors.  I love this new hobby as it combines so many things.  I'm in the process of relocating to Pickerel, WI where I want to live during my retirement years.  Some college, no degree.   Looking forward to many years of airsofting with you guys.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 6
Udo_Schaaf Search for posts by this member.
Gefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,15:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yea. He's a freaking genius.  His paintings are so dynamic and detailed.  He also has one of the largest privately held collections of Civil War memorabilia in the country.

Are you familiar with Keith Rocco?  He's another very good military artist.  I've reenacted with him a few times in the past.  Nice guy.
 Post Number: 7
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,16:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm Mike.  Steve's younger, better looking twin brother.  I still have to work though.  Two jobs.  One is as a government investigator and the other is as a historian with the Air Force but I plan to retire at the second one this year (more time for airsoft).  I did some paintball with them and in my 20ies was big into bb-gun battles with an organized group, but that was red flag/blue flag stuff.  My other interests mirror Steve's, big surprise.  Recently I moved to Arcadia, WI so now I'll be closer to the Minnesota guys.  I am married with kids but they are grown up now.  Neither is married off yet.  Just happy to have found a new hobby that I can enjoy with you all and I like my brother still feel young enough to be a contributing member.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 8
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2008,18:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Real name is John and I'm an 18 year old college student at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.

I've been a long time military buff, with special emphasis on the Germans in WWII and the Russians in the present day.

I do a lot of hobbies that are associated with the periods like constructing 1/35 models and reading a lot of different primary and secondary materials.  I really enjoy reading the works of Anthony Beever and Cornelius Ryan in particular, not only because they wrote books on Berlin, but also because their style has a very distinctive narrative element which makes it easy and interesting to read.

Airsoft for me really takes the cake however because it's the culmination of all my interests and put all my research in play in a really kinetic and visceral experience which for me is really rewarding.

Just an example to show my dedication to impression based airsoft:

The Russians have a number of special bulletproof helmets for use by special forces teams that don't really have any analogies in the West.  These helmets resemble motorcycle helmets to a degree in that they cover a very large portion of the head, and have a visor.  In the Russian helmet's case, the visor is made of the same bulletproof steel the rest of the helmet is.

The cost of such a helmet exceeds 1000USD with shipping, making it really impractical for a college student to purchase.  So, I organized a group of international members of the Eastern Bloc forum I'm a member of to purchase the helmet and have 75 copies reproduced in China.

The company making it is the same one who makes my M-35, and they are reproducing it using bulletproof steel sourced from Russia!  All the other characteristics of the helmet are being copied as closely as possible.  While it's taking longer than expected (there was a management shake up at the factory 2 months back), I think it's still a pretty remarkable venture.

I know the story is hardly related to WW2 airsoft, but I just thought it would be interesting!

--------------
 Post Number: 9
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,01:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure its related.  It shows that you have initiative and "know how" and press things home when you want to get it done.  Good qualities for getting russian helmets and for airsofting.   :D

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 10
Garrick_Udet Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2008,19:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeez, I guess it's finally time to get this out of the way...

My name is Matt and I'm a WWII Airsoft re-enactor.

Hi Matt...

I'm currently 27 years old and live in downtown Minneapolis.  I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Political Science from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis in 2003.

I work with Udo, who agreed to play in a D-day paintball scenario game in July 07, the trade-off being that I had to go to the Patton Unleashed event in October 07.  Little did I know that event would be the Genesis of Midwest Ostfront Airsoft!

I have been an avid paintballer for over 5 years.  This week I bought the last paintball gun I'm ever going to buy, and subsequently took the plunge and purchased my 3rd Panzer Grenadier uniform.

Outside of projectile sports, I enjoy a multitude of other hobbies:
- Video Games
- Pontificating about politics
- Going on dates with shallow, vapid and often clueless women who personify the intellectual wasteland of our times
- Racing rhetorical circles around drunken meatheads at the bar while avoiding physical harm (these meatheads usually end up with the women I described above, further siphoning depth from the gene pool)
- Boosting my ego at the expense of hapless bystanders (see above)
- Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmatic
- Playing softball and kickball

I've been a WWII history buff for as long as I can remember.  There is always something new that can be learned from what I view as the greatest struggle humankind has ever faced.

--------------
166 replies since Jan. 15 2008,14:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Introductions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code