Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Soviet Media Discussion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
neoptolemus Search for posts by this member.
Obergrenadier

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2008,17:40  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kind of silly that I'd be starting it off, but I have some great images I think you guys would like to see.

All of the images were from militaryphotos.net, and I really think they're some of the better action shots I've seen.  

In particular, I like the image of the scouts crossing the river under fire.

I don't really know much (well anything) about Soviet WWII kit, so Gryphon and his teammates will have to fill us in.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2008,19:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great photos.  Makes me want to be soviet.  Are ppsh's all they carried.  There sure a lot of them in the pics.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 3
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2008,20:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By '43, the typical Soviet Rifle Regiment had one Submachinegun Company armed with nothing but PPShs, while each Rifle Company had one platoon armed entirely with PPShs.  The Soviets LOVED their Burp Guns....

--------------
 Post Number: 4
ersatzjack2 Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2008,22:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course they did.  They were excellent firepower weapons.  I'm sure the 198th will love theirs just as much.

--------------

"Lebenspraum for more airsoft" - Franz
"My other car is an Sd. Kfz. 250/1
 Post Number: 5
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2008,01:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder what the difference in logistics was between supplying a submachine gun company and a rifle company?

Surely, you lose some weight with the smaller cartridge, but you need more.

I assume logistics was a serious concern by the late war.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
gryphon Search for posts by this member.
Starshi Serzhant

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2008,07:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually, logistics was much harder for the Soviets at the beginning of the war, especially before the spring of '43, because so much industrial capacity and farmland and war materiel was overrun by the Germans during Barbarossa.  All Soviet-manufactured small arms used one of two cartridges, both 7.62mm calibre.  They used to mass-produce PPSh barrels by sawing old Mosin-Nagant barrels into three sections and boring a new chamber in one end of each one.  Soviet High Command didn't give a rat for individual soldiers' or citizens' fates, but they understood the importance of a large volume of materiel - Stalin's saying was, "Quantity has a quality of it's own."  Food was the thing Soviets often had to scrounge for, not so much bullets.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Ersatzjack Search for posts by this member.
Obergefreiter

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2008,08:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beginning almost as soon as the Germans attacked in Jun 41, the Soviets began moving their industry East.  It was a remarkably quick transformation too.  Whole industries were moved to the Urals and other locations out of German reach and the industries were producing product after only a month of delay in some cases.  Generally, it took a few months to get factories completely up and running again and this was still very little downtime.  Some factories were set up outside and operated in all weather conditions until facilities could be made permanent.  That didn't translate into much lost production time.  The Soviets went all out to produce material for the war.  The people were fully invested in victory.  Food was grown in every nook and cranny as well.  The end result was that the Soviets enjoyed supply that the Germans did not.  Consider that Lend-Lease was thrown in too.  The use of SMGs, and STV-40's and PPsH-43's was heavy.  There were not too many rifles in the Soviet soldiers hands by 1943 on.  They would be in the hands of artilleryman and snipers though.  They would also still be in the hands of lower quality units too but if troops could get them, they wanted SMGs.

--------------

"Oh... airsoft?; WW2 airsoft?... you'll love it, and the best thing is it doesn't cost much at all... just so long as you go the chairsofting route."
 Post Number: 8
Garrick_Udet Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2008,15:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice Armor pic Neo,  that stuff would have had to be pretty heavy and restricting to be effective.  I just imagine them moving as one phalanx but instead of spears they have PPshes

:p

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Obergrenadier

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2008,16:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hah!  

It does sort of look like that, too bad they didn't have greaves or some additional armor...

Here's a neat youtube video on the subject (sadly in Russian):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdJtVAmcCBs

Looks like they were issued to assault engineers who were like crack assault troops.  Maybe our Soviet comrades can fill us in on additional details!

EDIT:

Here is a picture of a German wearing a "captured" set of the same armor

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Garrick_Udet Search for posts by this member.
Unteroffizier

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2008,09:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obviously there aren't a lot of lefties in the Red army.  That armor is not ambidextrous.  No the OTHER kind of lefty..  :;):

--------------
16 replies since Mar. 04 2008,17:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Soviet Media Discussion
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code